The get fit, stay fit thread

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I didn't squat for two weeks over Christmas and deloaded to 100kg when I started back on the squats on Hogmanay.  I've had sore quads ever since :lol:

Good to be back to it though.

Doing a light session a day or so later often helps with Doms. 

Bought a z curl bar. Pretty versatile and a good introduction to squats, deadlifts.
Dont have a holder for it so have to lift, sit then push up from legs to bench press.
Totally not that safe but adds to workout. Find it much easier to lift heavier with curls also. Can lift maybe 40kg with two dumbbells but using bar maybe 50-60.
Something about a bar that helps maybe?

Once multigym thing gets worn out will think about getting a rack.

First gym session of the year last night, felt reasonable enough this morning to the extent I went out for a wee run. 5k in just over 26 minutes. Plan for the next 4 months is to continue with the same weights regime and hammer more cardio in, either after he weights sessions or just out on the road running. That option is most definitely weather dependent.

Decided to end my winter bulk a few weeks early as I was putting on a wee bit too much fat.

Will keep attempting to increase my strength but will obviously get difficult as I'll be eating a bit less calories.

Did some weights this morning though, deadlift 1x5 at 120kg and squat 3x5 at 112.5kg.

Treated myself to some new liquid chalk and lifting straps with an Amazon voucher I got from Christmas. My barbell has quite a large diameter so I struggle with grip on heavy deadlifts, will give the straps a bash later on this week. Back at work this week so using the gym's barbell which I think has a slightly smaller diameter so is easier to grip.

Bought a z curl bar. Pretty versatile and a good introduction to squats, deadlifts.
Dont have a holder for it so have to lift, sit then push up from legs to bench press.
Totally not that safe but adds to workout. Find it much easier to lift heavier with curls also. Can lift maybe 40kg with two dumbbells but using bar maybe 50-60.
Something about a bar that helps maybe?

Once multigym thing gets worn out will think about getting a rack.

Are you saying you curl 20kg dumbbells?

So my fitness life has been a yoyo. From stereotypical fit career, to putting on some weight moving away from home and living alone for work, so counteracted it and got very fit, running 20+ miles every weekend and hill races.. Fast forward 4 years of relationship, settling down to new home and getting 'comfortable'.

Hammered the gym since October, great routine going every morning before work and after work the nights I was able. Measured myself and between October and week before Christmas

Chest - lost 3 inches
Hips and waist - 3 inches
Belly- 4 inches

Didn't realise I had gathered the inches over the years gradually but feels good to be back. Christmas was a struggle to let myself just enjoy it and gym closed... Got to find a good balance. Not measured myself after Christmas, I'll give it a few days back at the gym before that.

Glad the gym reopened yesterday. 2 good sessions. Expected it to be full with all the new year resolutions - empty! People enjoying their last few days of Ferrer Roche then the gym will be like a royal rumble 7am Monday! Screenshot_20200104_163014.jpeg

First time I've been in the gym since the 20th December. Had a bad sickness bug over Christmas, but felt fully recovered. 

Was absolutely blowing after 20 minutes on the bike to the point I felt like I was going to chunder. 

Did 50 minutes of very light jogging and walking at a slight incline to get something in, but I really feel done in. 

Hopefully start picking up again over the next few weeks and get back into the swing of things. 

Later this coming week, I'll be going to the gym for the first time in about 4 years. The Dundee Uni Gym are running a special offer for January if you sign up before the 13th.

Currently I'm 6ft4, and I weigh bang on 22 stone. I buy jeans with a 38 inch waist or a 40 inch waist.

On average I eat around 3000 calories per day, but I eat far too much sugar (fizzy drinks mostly). I drink very little alcohol.

What's a realistic weight goal for me to get to by June? And how many days/hours per week will take me? I'm currently thinking of maybe doing 2hr workouts, 3 days a week.

Cheers

Later this coming week, I'll be going to the gym for the first time in about 4 years. The Dundee Uni Gym are running a special offer for January if you sign up before the 13th.

Currently I'm 6ft4, and I weigh bang on 22 stone. I buy jeans with a 38 inch waist or a 40 inch waist.

On average I eat around 3000 calories per day, but I eat far too much sugar (fizzy drinks mostly). I drink very little alcohol.

What's a realistic weight goal for me to get to by June? And how many days/hours per week will take me? I'm currently thinking of maybe doing 2hr workouts, 3 days a week.

Cheers

If you are just starting out then 2 hr workouts are probably not sustainable

Edited for bad english

Do these workouts include sitting on the phone fucking about for some of it?

If the answer is yes, don't bother going.
If the answer is not, shorten that workout to an hour. Anything longer especially to begin with doesn't make sense.

I’d echo the others, focus less on time and more on what you do in a shorter period.

You could get a heart rate monitor that tells you how much you burn during a workout. Aim to burn say 500 calories (maybe less?) per workout and drop your food intake.

Most important thing is to be patient and take it a day at a time.

Cheers

Firstly you need to change your diet. Cut down fizzy drinks and replace with water (if you are drinking lots then simply cutting it out will make it harder).

Dont take this the wrong way but if you are 22 stone then you are probably eating more than 3,000 calories a day. I am 6 foot and sit around 12.5-13 stone and my maintenance calories amount is about 2,300.

Your best bet will be completely changing your diet and going for 45 minute workouts of a weight circuits. Also throw in some LISS cardio to start you off until the weight comes off you (walking is ideal).

When you first go to the gym i would ask a trainer to give you some direction and advice as no point jumping in if you are unsure.

Firstly you need to change your diet. Cut down fizzy drinks and replace with water (if you are drinking lots then simply cutting it out will make it harder).

Dont take this the wrong way but if you are 22 stone then you are probably eating more than 3,000 calories a day. I am 6 foot and sit around 12.5-13 stone and my maintenance calories amount is about 2,300.

Your best bet will be completely changing your diet and going for 45 minute workouts of a weight circuits. Also throw in some LISS cardio to start you off until the weight comes off you (walking is ideal).

When you first go to the gym i would ask a trainer to give you some direction and advice as no point jumping in if you are unsure.

Agree on this. Get the basics right and make sure your diet improves, count your calories and just make sure you’re in a deficit everyday.

Walk before you can run on exercise and build it up slowly. This will be shite for the first 4-5 weeks to be honest but once you push past that and get momentum you’ll enjoy it. The feeling of losing the weight and getting fitter is fantastic, just requires patience.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I'll be doing 1hr workouts.

I've kept a food diary for the past couple of months and I usually have around 3000 calories a day, but what I eat is really the problem; rather than how much I eat. Too much sugary processed crap.

I'm thinking of getting a fitbit but that'll have to wait til February cos I'm skint just now. Any other brands as good as fitbit but cheaper?

8 hours ago, MeadowArab said:

I've kept a food diary for the past couple of months and I usually have around 3000 calories a day, but what I eat is really the problem; rather than how much I eat. Too much sugary processed crap.

No. This is wrong.

The weight of a human body is determined by one thing, and one thing only - energy balance. If a person is eating more calories than their body needs, they will put on weight. If a person is eating less calories than their body needs, they will lose weight.

You need to work out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is, and consistently eat less than that. You're 'lucky' in a way that weighing 22 stone will mean you have a very high TDEE compared to someone weighing 12 stone.

But as to what you eat, it doesn't matter what you eat. If someone's TDEE was (say) 2,500 calories, they would lose weight eating 2,000 calories of chocolate a day, and gain weight eating 3,000 calories of vegetables a day. Now neither of those are going to be very healthy or enjoyable, but in terms of weight only, calories are literally the only thing that matters.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:01, Gaz said:

No. This is wrong.

The weight of a human body is determined by one thing, and one thing only - energy balance. If a person is eating more calories than their body needs, they will put on weight. If a person is eating less calories than their body needs, they will lose weight.

You need to work out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is, and consistently eat less than that. You're 'lucky' in a way that weighing 22 stone will mean you have a very high TDEE compared to someone weighing 12 stone.

But as to what you eat, it doesn't matter what you eat. If someone's TDEE was (say) 2,500 calories, they would lose weight eating 2,000 calories of chocolate a day, and gain weight eating 3,000 calories of vegetables a day. Now neither of those are going to be very healthy or enjoyable, but in terms of weight only, calories are literally the only thing that matters.

You're right about energy balance and initially the body works like that. However, the body is genetically programmed to accumulate every calorie it can over hundreds of generations before us living in an environment where most people lived with food being scarce until arguably the last 40-50 years.

Eventually the brain makes itself more efficient and learns to function on less calories a day and will be more likely to hold onto the ones it gains after thinking that it needs to conserve energy when it thinks food is scarce ands gains faster when food is acquired, hence why it feels like you might be doing the same amount of work but not getting the same weight reduced results. A good example of this is why most of the people that participate in the biggest loser tend to put all the weight back and in then some in some cases after a dramatic reduction.