The get fit, stay fit thread

18 hours ago, Torpar said:

After trying for my 1RMs on Wednesday, Friday's workout was a struggle, hoping a few days off mean I can get back to normal on Tuesday.

Do any of the guys on here who lift use a belt? Do you think it makes a difference towards lifting heavier and stopping soreness? 

And are there any brands/models you would recommend?

I use a belt for my top sets on squats and deadlifts but, where possible, I'll try and go without. As has been said, a belt is to help brace your core rather than an "all out" support. I'd definitely say it helps for heavy sets but if you're not going all out then it's good to go without a belt where possible so that you can teach yourself how to properly brace.

I've also got an RDX belt from Amazon. Have had it for a few years and for someone who only really lifts weights as a hobby it does the job. Strength Shop do good belts but they can be quite expensive and I'd be doubtful as to whether they're worth the extra outlay if you only tend to workout casually.

Appreciate the advice, time to buy a belt I think. 

Played ice hockey for the first time since April last night, thought I would breathing out of my arse but didn't feel too bad. Other than walking my dog and prowler runs I'd done zero cardio over the summer. So I guess prowler runs do wonders for your cardio. 

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Back at the gym tonight after pretty much 10 days off due to being too busy and then being back home. Depending on how busy it is I might try and get myself under 26 minutes on the triathlon.

I had to bail out the other day after getting my trainer laces snagged in the rowing machine. Almost had to call the coastguard.

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I had to bail out the other day after getting my trainer laces snagged in the rowing machine. Almost had to call the coastguard.

I need to work on pacing myself a bit better. So far I either go too hard on the cycling and leave myself gubbed for the running, or go too easy on the bike but leave myself too much to make up on the running.

Edited by Ross.

17 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I need to work on pacing myself a bit better. So far I either go too hard on the cycling and leave myself gubbed for the running, or go too easy on the bike but leave myself too much to make up on the running.

Yes, it’s a fine balance between taking it too easy and crippling yourself. Maybe set a manageable target for each stage so you know a pace that won’t kill you, rather than worrying about the overall time. And maybe 30 secs or so walking to start with once you get off the bike onto the treadmill? 

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Yes, it’s a fine balance between taking it too easy and crippling yourself. Maybe set a manageable target for each stage so you know a pace that won’t kill you, rather than worrying about the overall time. And maybe 30 secs or so walking to start with once you get off the bike onto the treadmill? 

Individually I can manage all of them far faster than I can manage collectively. Seem to have the rowing sorted, don’t find that an effort at all. The cycling then running is the bit I need to fix. In my head I have 5/10/10 as the target, including the transition. I can  manage 4:30/9/9 if I push myself on each of them on their own.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Back at the gym tonight after pretty much 10 days off due to being too busy and then being back home. Depending on how busy it is I might try and get myself under 26 minutes on the triathlon.

I live outwith Scotland as well and come home maybe 6-7 times a year - thanks Easjyet - but I always find I eat so much shit when I go back and give myself the excuse of - Fish suppers, pies/bridies, cakes, cheap pints etc you don't get abroad (which is half a a like).  Are you the same or stick a good diet when back to the homeland?

Always find the minute I land I feel trim/good shape and my belly is bloating over the seat belt on the flight back!

Back again in November - so oft to eating well again for 7 weeks and then 6 days of eating sugar again.

1 minute ago, Kejan said:

I live outwith Scotland as well and come home maybe 6-7 times a year - thanks Easjyet - but I always find I eat so much shit when I go back and give myself the excuse of - Fish suppers, pies/bridies, cakes, cheap pints etc you don't get abroad (which is half a a like).  Are you the same or stick a good diet when back to the homeland?

Always find the minute I land I feel trim/good shape and my belly is bloating over the seat belt on the flight back!

Back again in November - so oft to eating well again for 7 weeks and then 6 days of eating sugar again.

Pretty much how it goes with me. Come home and catch up with family/friends which means spending most of the time in the pub, on top of going out for lunch/dinner each day eating a lot of the stuff I can't get here. Absolutely ruins anything that vaguely resembles a healthy lifestyle.

Didn't drink too much this weekend mind you. 3 pints of T, 1 pint of IPA and two bottles of Bud being the score. So little I can remember every one of them. The food on the other hand, it's best not to think about...

Gave the gym triathlon another try earlier.

Total was 23:18, 40s better than last time. Splits were 4:18 for the row, 10:25 for the bike, 8:35 for the treadmill.

Pretty sure there's another 30 seconds or so to come off the run and my row was 16 seconds slower than last time. 

I reckon 22:30 is well reachable.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
Let it be on your conscience when poor Ross croaks it on the running machine.

Got to take care of the competition.

The missus will be delighted when the insurance money comes in. I'm sure she'll thank you for it.

Edited by Ross.