The get fit, stay fit thread

19 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Not totally related to this but guess people in this thread might have done so : anyone done one of those Bupa / Nuffield/etc health checks and if so what was it like?

Essentially I've been fucked with various injuries for about a year and a half, currently waiting NHS physio for my shoulder after a few GP visits but that's about the only thing I have outstanding now. Was thinking of paying one for of these health MOT things to try and see if there's any underlying issues in general. 

I do a Nuffield one every six months or so, it is part of my membership so costs me f all. In summary it is quite useful and I saw great results when I shifted a load of weight but I am not sure what it would achieve in your circumstances. It will measure your blood sugar, cholesterol, body fat etc but I don't see how it would identify any underlying injuries. It is a PT that performs it as well so not a qualified physio. I wouldn't pay for one if it wasn't part of my membership.

Couple of guys in the gym last night were lifting stuff with outrageously bad form, one of them was doing stiff legged deadlifts with a belt for some reason and his back was arching so much I was wincing. He was quite big too, made me wonder if he was using chinese vitamins to compensate for his atrocious form.

Why is it such a bad thing using belt for romanian deadlift?

8 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

I do a Nuffield one every six months or so, it is part of my membership so costs me f all. In summary it is quite useful and I saw great results when I shifted a load of weight but I am not sure what it would achieve in your circumstances. It will measure your blood sugar, cholesterol, body fat etc but I don't see how it would identify any underlying injuries. It is a PT that performs it as well so not a qualified physio. I wouldn't pay for one if it wasn't part of my membership.

Cheers, probably just clutching at straws as I saw they had musculoskeletal and spinal assessment but I've done a fair bit of reading of reviews tonight and it doesn't seem worth spunking a few hundred quid on. 

200+ deadlift is class, It's the one lift I really struggle in and that number seems mad to me.

That’s funny because your bench numbers seem on another planet to me.

Think I’ve got a slight advantage for deadlifts to most folk due to my height.

I used to really struggle with squats but I’ve got my form sorted now and it’s a doddle so I’ll probably give it a bash Sunday.

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

That’s funny because your bench numbers seem on another planet to me.

Think I’ve got a slight advantage for deadlifts to most folk due to my height.

I used to really struggle with squats but I’ve got my form sorted now and it’s a doddle so I’ll probably give it a bash Sunday.

when I was like 18 I used to be bad for being a 'gym bro' and benching twice a week and barely squatting or deadlifting so I'm guessing that's why my bench is a bit more advanced than my other lifts.

I'm quite short (like 5'7/5'8) and I think that means my deadlifts should be good but they just aren't.

I'm waiting for a poster on here to come out and say they squat 180-200.

when I was like 18 I used to be bad for being a 'gym bro' and benching twice a week and barely squatting or deadlifting so I'm guessing that's why my bench is a bit more advanced than my other lifts.
I'm quite short (like 5'7/5'8) and I think that means my deadlifts should be good but they just aren't.

Anyone squatting that much must have one hell of an arse on them.

Finally got round to the Staggy challenge last night, I'll get my excuses in nice and early and state that for the past few years I've been squatting and deadlifting  135lb/60kg as I felt my old knees couldn't hack it anymore. Turns out this was just a poor excuse and I surprised myself last night. Bare in mind the weights here are in pounds so I've converted to kgs and rounded up/down 

Squat: 88kg  1.02

Bench: 107kg 1.24

Deadlift: 116 1.35

I plan to attempt these again at the start of Octorber

I used to squat 180+ fairly regularly. I think 190x5 is the heaviest I've ever gone for reps.

Haven't gone near that sort of weight for a while now. I'm sure if I specifically trained for it then I'd be able to do it again but I'm not training for a powerlifting competition or anything like that so don't see the point.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

I used to squat 180+ fairly regularly. I think 190x5 is the heaviest I've ever gone for reps.

Haven't gone near that sort of weight for a while now. I'm sure if I specifically trained for it then I'd be able to do it again but I'm not training for a powerlifting competition or anything like that so don't see the point.

The boy I train with holds Scottish records for his age and weight group in powerlifting and he gave it up so that he could get more mass and lift a lot heavier, he used to lift at 59kg and he weighs 70ish now so he's fairly bulked up.

190 for 5 is madness though fair play

After trying for my 1RMs on Wednesday, Friday's workout was a struggle, hoping a few days off mean I can get back to normal on Tuesday.

Do any of the guys on here who lift use a belt? Do you think it makes a difference towards lifting heavier and stopping soreness? 

And are there any brands/models you would recommend?

I use a belt, it's a crap one that I bought from Decathlon.  I think the narrower ones are considered better.

How do people go for their 1RMs?  I've never done it, I always do three sets of five or shorter for my heaviest lifts.  Do you just incrementally add weight for one offs or is there more of a science to it?

I don't use a belt personally but feel like I should for deadlifts.

15 hours ago, ICTChris said:

How do people go for their 1RMs?

A rule of thumb for me with bench is to warm up as normal with 60kg then do 5 of 80kg 3 of 100kg then singles from there until I hit my max. Same logic can be used for deads and squats but I don't really like going all that heavy with them.

52 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Tricep workout tips please gents.

Staggies spot on, supersets are great for triceps as well. Usually do tricep pushdown with overhead cable extensions, another good one is a skullcrusher supersetted with a close grip bench press. 

Edited by Senor Bairn