The get fit, stay fit thread

1 hour ago, staggy1929 said:

Quality,  Your man from westside bench pressing right after surgery is ridiculous, don't think i'd ever be that committed.

I'd love a gym like that round here.

It's an unreal place mate, such a difference from working out at a big box chain gym. When I was at the chain gym I'd end up frustrated spending half my workout waiting on benches or racks to free up, I didn't really enjoy going by the end. Now I look forward to going to this place, I've only ever had to wait for a shower after as they only have one. It's old school, no air conditioning, most of the equipment looks like its seen better days but they have every type of bar, rack, machine etc you could think of, there are buckets of chalk around the gym and occasionally someone will have their dog with them while they work out.  There are some guys who like to slam the weights around and grunt a lot but in their defense they are usually lifting some serious weight.

They have a prowler sled which I absolutely love, while the weather is warm you can take it out the back of gym and run around with it on the concrete, they also have a couple of basketball hoops and an ice hockey net out the back I like to shot on after working out. It's a shame but I don't think there are many, if any, gyms like it in Scotland

I went to a gym like that in Aberdeen. £20 a month (cash, whenever they asked for it). Full of massive guys, old equipment and no working showers. It was brilliant though, never too busy and everyone was really sound and would pass on advice. It didn’t last long though - fairly sure they were punting roids tbf. 

I cycled 9k in 22 minutes something, can that count as my triathlon? More than a year after fracturing my knee and tearing nearly everything I still can’t bend it fully so rowing probably won’t work and running kills it.

I went to a gym like that in Aberdeen. £20 a month (cash, whenever they asked for it). Full of massive guys, old equipment and no working showers. It was brilliant though, never too busy and everyone was really sound and would pass on advice. It didn’t last long though - fairly sure they were punting roids tbf. 

What gym was this Muz? I think my mate may have went (genuinely a mate, not “a mate” = me) and he may or may not have been got on the roids...was always quite a toned guy but got pretty massive pretty quick...

Had a go at your triathlon this morning. Not as quick as you guys
, 31 minutes. Done a five mile road run last night so still suffering from that (aye excuses) but enjoyed it this morning and will give it a go more often. My running is abysmally slow mind you.

Couple of guys in the gym last night were lifting stuff with outrageously bad form, one of them was doing stiff legged deadlifts with a belt for some reason and his back was arching so much I was wincing. He was quite big too, made me wonder if he was using chinese vitamins to compensate for his atrocious form.

Great being huge as f**k but it’s not much use when you snap your back into two bits.

On 26/08/2019 at 21:57, Gaz said:

Just noticed this. You're not burning anywhere near 1000 calories walking seven miles. Maybe half of it if you're lucky.

Fair enough, I'm just going by what I've seen on fitness sites/apps.

11 minutes ago, nsr said:

Fair enough, I'm just going by what I've seen on fitness sites/apps.

They overstate what calories you burn quite considerably.

The best (as in, least worst) way to estimate calories burned is using a Metabolic Equivalent of Task (MET) calculator.

Have a gander here: http://lamb.cc/calories-burned-calculator/

22 minutes ago, Gaz said:

They overstate what calories you burn quite considerably.

The best (as in, least worst) way to estimate calories burned is using a Metabolic Equivalent of Task (MET) calculator.

Have a gander here: http://lamb.cc/calories-burned-calculator/

Cheers. It comes out at around 700-800 on that.

The cycling's the hard bit for me, rowing was 4:02 and running was 8:59. Could probably get the running down to about 8 minutes. I don't particularly enjoy cycling at the best of times, let alone on an exercise bike.

170 deadlift last night, quite pleased as it's not really a lift I do all that often, tried 180 but bailed it as I could feel I was starting to round my back.

so that currently puts me at,

1.75 bodyweight Bench

1.75 bodyweight Squat

2.12 Bodyweight Deadlift

Edited by staggy1929

Last two trips to the gym I haven't bothered with cardio. Was far too hot on Saturday, and last night the place was rammed. Hopefully a little quieter tomorrow and I can have another shot at that triathlon.

Not totally related to this but guess people in this thread might have done so : anyone done one of those Bupa / Nuffield/etc health checks and if so what was it like?

Essentially I've been fucked with various injuries for about a year and a half, currently waiting NHS physio for my shoulder after a few GP visits but that's about the only thing I have outstanding now. Was thinking of paying one for of these health MOT things to try and see if there's any underlying issues in general.