The get fit, stay fit thread

Sorry to deviate from the jobby chat but does anyone do yoga or pilates? My body is telling me I'm too old and decrepit for the level of punishment it gets now and again and a few folk have told me about yoga or pilates transforming their later years. Keep getting calf muscle injuries after a few years staying clear of them. I then don't rest the injury long enough and set it off again. I'm not sure yoga clothes are for me. Maybe a bit mid/late life crisis but the thought of only doing really gentle/genteel stuff fills me with horror. Maybe there are supplements that could help? 

41 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry to deviate from the jobby chat but does anyone do yoga or pilates? My body is telling me I'm too old and decrepit for the level of punishment it gets now and again and a few folk have told me about yoga or pilates transforming their later years. Keep getting calf muscle injuries after a few years staying clear of them. I then don't rest the injury long enough and set it off again. I'm not sure yoga clothes are for me. Maybe a bit mid/late life crisis but the thought of only doing really gentle/genteel stuff fills me with horror. Maybe there are supplements that could help? 

My gym does a yoga class which they market as "yoga for weight trainers", which is their way of appealing to the younger generations. An hour of stretching that makes every part of your body ache, but feels great afterwards.  No idea how much it differs from normal yoga, probably very little.

41 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

My gym does a yoga class which they market as "yoga for weight trainers", which is their way of appealing to the younger generations. An hour of stretching that makes every part of your body ache, but feels great afterwards.  No idea how much it differs from normal yoga, probably very little.

Giving this tape stuff a try too. 

Just get this fear that yoga classes will be full of grannies farting everywhere

B8EC7E8A-FDB2-422F-A8BF-F2315B470211.jpeg

Suffering with shin splints for the first time. Assuming the best thing to do is just wait it out, rather than running through the pain.
Im not a long distance man ny any means but calf compression sleeves helped me quite a lot

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

Suffering with shin splints for the first time. Assuming the best thing to do is just wait it out, rather than running through the pain.

I got shin splints for the first time earlier this year, having been a runner my entire life.  Having not run in a couple of months, I blitzed a 10 mile or so in a fairly quick time and my shins were agony the following day. Tried to run through it and failed. Asked on here and the advice was to sit it out.  Tried a light jog after about 5 days and the pain came back reasonably quick. Didn't bother again for a couple of weeks and eased myself back into it next time.

if you’re doing Pilates properly you won’t be calling it gentle afterwards.

On 4/27/2019 at 15:21, topcat(The most tip top) said:

if you’re doing Pilates properly you won’t be calling it gentle afterwards.

I'd never known the difference between it and yoga but it looks like planks etc? Will investigate..

Have moved into the city centre so now gyming from 6am-7am 5 days a week! 

Had a Yoga class this morning after the gym first thing too - I know people have a bit of a "stigma" about Yoga (particularly people my age!) but it honestly is brilliant.  The increased flexibility you get through your hamstrings and lower back through Yoga is undoubted/very noticeable and it is quite a refreshing/relaxing form of exercise too.  I've been doing 1 session per week for the past 14 weeks and really enjoy it. 

Edited by AberdeenHibee

Struggling to get back into the cardio since returning from my holiday. Found myself doing additional weights to make sure I am still in the gym an acceptable amount of time. Really need to power through a session or two on the bike and treadmill and just force myself back to the routine I had been in.