The get fit, stay fit thread

Children tend to copy adult behaviour, if not eating is seen as a good thing it could lead to problems.

If you don’t bring attention to the fact you aren’t eating then no one will notice, you can just tell them you are going to get breakfast after they have gone to school or you already had it: Nobody needs to know and no one will care.

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Seems like a bit of a false argument. You’ve both found ways that suit your own needs.

So long as you don’t revert back to the bad ways as soon as the weight is lost, does it really matter? Everyone is different.

Totally. 

I observed it wasn’t sustainable long term nor as a parent with girls would I want them seeing that. Especially when one already has to be careful with food due to allergies. I didn’t slate anything.

My aim is slow weight loss with diet changes and increasing exercise levels which I believe I can maintain long term. 

Totally. 
I observed it wasn’t sustainable long term nor as a parent with girls would I want them seeing that. Especially when one already has to be careful with food due to allergies. I didn’t slate anything.
My aim is slow weight loss with diet changes and increasing exercise levels which I believe I can maintain long term. 

At least consider fasting one day a week.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

If you don’t bring attention to the fact you aren’t eating then no one will notice, you can just tell them you are going to get breakfast after they have gone to school or you already had it: Nobody needs to know and no one will care.

Girls notice everything! My son only notices if the fridge is empty or the WiFi isn’t working!!

17 minutes ago, throbber said:

Bit arrogant to claim that knowledge with a very young baby imo.

Girls notice everything! My son only notices if the fridge is empty or the WiFi isn’t working!!

Not denying that they’re observant but it’s still not a reason for parents not to fast and it doesn’t give off any message that starving yourself is a positive thing. Anyway, I’m glad you have found something that works for you and my previous post was only a joke in an attempt to lighten the mood.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Well done on finding something that works for you. But what works for you wont work for everyone. Personally i think intermittent fasting sounds fucking shite. Why would you want to starve yourself for such a long time.

Work out your calories for the day. Subtract 200 off that. If you dont lose weight then deduct some more until you lose weight.

Add in some workouts during the week and the weight will come off at a reasonable and sustainable rate

How much daily calorie deficit before you are perpetually hungry?

I don't know the science behind it but assuming 7 days of minus 200 calories -assuming that gives you sustained hunger pangs - against having one day of hunger at minus 2500 calories, then the most appealing option would be the one day of fasting. Again, I've never been big on counting calories but intermittent fasting seems preferable although having said that I've twice had to fast for 12 hours in the past few months and it is brutal after about the 8 hour mark. 

So to summarise, I have absolutely no idea where I stand on the matter. 

How much daily calorie deficit before you are perpetually hungry?
I don't know the science behind it but assuming 7 days of minus 200 calories -assuming that gives you sustained hunger pangs - against having one day of hunger at minus 2500 calories, then the most appealing option would be the one day of fasting. Again, I've never been big on counting calories but intermittent fasting seems preferable although having said that I've twice had to fast for 12 hours in the past few months and it is brutal after about the 8 hour mark. 
So to summarise, I have absolutely no idea where I stand on the matter. 

If you are perpetually hungry then you are probably eating too little. I did a 8 week plan and was perpetually hungry. I got great results but was absolutely not sustainable. Literally was always looking to my next meal.

I am not saying fasting doesnt help you lose weight. It does. But its not because you are fasting. It is because you are in a calorie deficit and eating decent food

I quite fancy trying a 23 hour-a-day fast and eating a fish supper, Ind8an takeaway and big tub of ice cream in my eating hour.

That is not advised on any of the vlogs I have watched on the subject:

You’ve been watching the wrong vlogs IMO

It’s pretty hard to resist a takeaway after you have fasted for 20 hours anyway! It’s a risky move going to the shops when about to break a fast also.

It’s pretty hard to resist a takeaway after you have fasted for 20 hours anyway! It’s a risky move going to the shops when about to break a fast also.

Where does your prodigious consumption of cooking lager fit into your intermittent fasting lifestyle?

Where does your prodigious consumption of cooking lager fit into your intermittent fasting lifestyle?

I try keep the cooking lager to Saturday and Sunday, usually have a few curers on the Monday then don’t fast until Tuesday/Wednesday but I did a 21 hour fast between last night and when I got home from work today despite a wee 4 pack of bud. My life would be much easier without the cooking lager at all tbh.

On 22/04/2011 at 11:50, Marshmallo said:

I've been going to the gym every weekday for 15 weeks now. Using the weight machines Monday, Wednesday, Friday for my arms, chest, shoulder and stomach in equal proportions. There's enough of an overlap in the machines that my back's getting worked too. I'm working the weights in 6 week programmes, finding my new maximum after 6 weeks and doing 3 sets of 10 at 80% of my maximum on each machine. I'm on the treadmill Tuesday, Thursday to improve my cardio. I've been trying to eat in a healthier way (getting my 5 a day every day, eating wholemeal bread) but haven't been completely dedicated to cutting out crap, although I'm drinking less often than I did before Christmas (not that that's really a conscious choice, just less likely to be going out at night if I'm up at half 6 to go the gym). I realise folk were ripping the pish a bit with the milk earlier in the thread but I'm drinking 4 pints every day of full fat milk Monday to Friday and I think it's helping.

I'm noticing some decent results, although it's a fairly slow process. I've always been really lanky but I've put on 9lbs since I started (now 6'3" and 10st 11lbs) which has been muscle mass mostly, but with the amount of milk I'm drinking I'm guessing some will be fat. I'd still like to put on another stone or so, so I'm going to keep going in the same fashion with regards the diet and workload etc.

The maximums I can lift on the machines have increased but at different rates. My shoulders, chest and stomach have pretty much doubled since I started, but I'm only seeing an increase of about 15-20% in my arms. My chest and shoulders started at a lower level but I'm still a little confused by this. My arms are the area where a visible difference is least noticeable as well (the others have improved markedly but my arms haven't). Is this because the arms are more difficult to build up, or am I doing something wrong? Should I do more weights for my arms or change the way I'm working them?

:lol: