The get fit, stay fit thread

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

But Rowan said that intermittent fasting wasn’t sustainable long term because:

1) healthy diet and exercise was a better option.

&

2) She didn’t want her children seeing her starve herself.

Both points are complete bollocks with regards to intermittent fasting.

I’d argue that paying a PT £30 an hour to show you how to use a rowing machine and give you an eating plan isn’t a sustainable lifestyle.

She doesn’t give me an eating plan nor show me how to use a rowing machine.

This is not a long term thing, it’s 3months to set me back on course. The reasons for choosing this route is not one for sharing on a public forum. 

She doesn’t give me an eating plan nor show me how to use a rowing machine.
This is not a long term thing, it’s 3months to set me back on course. The reasons for choosing this route is not one for sharing on a public forum. 

Well I’m not happy about any of this.

Guest bernardblack

I’m not sold on intermittent fasting tbh.

Basics of having a sensible breakfast in the morning along with some exercise is surely just as successful.

So I've stuck with C25k

Now on Week 8 and running for 28 mins at a time.  Never thought it would be me, don't get me wrong, when I'm actually running, I hate it, but it's a huge mood booster once it's done.  A 28 min run before work this morning, and I feel I've got a head start on the day.

Got talked into doing the EMF 5k at the end of May too.  Then I saw the route was hilly.  Fuark!!!

I’m not sold on intermittent fasting tbh.

Basics of having a sensible breakfast in the morning along with some exercise is surely just as successful.

It’s all about what your body does when in a fasted state, it gets to work on all the fat that you have been storing when over eating/drinking too much and you get rid of all the unproductive cells in your system. Research has shown that it can lower the chances of cancers, type 2 diabetes and heart disease in the long term so it’s not all just about weight loss in the short time.

I didn’t mean to be aggressive towards Rowan but find it hard not to bite when someone is so quick to dismiss something that has been nothing short of life changing for myself with complete falsehoods.

I was going to post some benefits to fasting (not self starving) but Throbber beat me to it.

Please go on if you have anything to add, I am still relatively new to it all, all i know is that the results have been incredible for such a small effort.

Guest bernardblack

It’s all about what your body does when in a fasted state, it gets to work on all the fat that you have been storing when over eating/drinking too much and you get rid of all the unproductive cells in your system. Research has shown that it can lower the chances of cancers, type 2 diabetes and heart disease in the long term so it’s not all just about weight loss in the short time.

I didn’t mean to be aggressive towards Rowan but find it hard not to bite when someone is so quick to dismiss something that has been nothing short of life changing for myself with complete falsehoods.

I just think I’d be utterly miserable all day not eating until the allotted timeframe!

21 hours ago, Ross. said:

Heading back tonight after a 3 and a half week absence due to being on holiday. Spent almost all of that time eating and drinking, though I did do a fair bit of hill walking and hiking on my week in Tasmania.

Not looking forward to getting back into it.

Fucking torture.

Put on 5kg in weight, really struggled with the weights, and was absolutely fucked after only a few minutes of cardio.

Think I'll go for a run up the hills tonight...

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Fucking torture.

Put on 5kg in weight, really struggled with the weights, and was absolutely fucked after only a few minutes of cardio.

Think I'll go for a run up the hills tonight...

Horrible feeling, you almost have to forget where you think you 'should' be based on what you were at during your absence.

Just find out where you are now and keep building day by day, you'll get it back quicker than you'd expect I imagine.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Horrible feeling, you almost have to forget where you think you 'should' be based on what you were at during your absence.

Just find out where you are now and keep building day by day, you'll get it back quicker than you'd expect I imagine.

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting it to be too much different. Even at that it's still a kick in the balls when it actually happens.

Was planning on changing my routine a little anyway as I plan on having a crack at running again, so this gives me the perfect opportunity to do just that.

Well done on finding something that works for you. But what works for you wont work for everyone. Personally i think intermittent fasting sounds fucking shite. Why would you want to starve yourself for such a long time.

Work out your calories for the day. Subtract 200 off that. If you dont lose weight then deduct some more until you lose weight.

Add in some workouts during the week and the weight will come off at a reasonable and sustainable rate

20 hours ago, throbber said:

Do you think your children will notice or care that you aren’t eating at certain parts of the day as well?

I'd imagine kids would notice if you aren't eating along with them.

I'd imagine kids would notice if you aren't eating along with them.

I highly doubt they would, they will care about their own breakfast and their day at school and you could easily come up with an excuse as to why you’re not eating breakfast at the same time as then for it not to be an issue. These things are only as hard as you chose to make them.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I highly doubt they would, they will care about their own breakfast and their day at school and you could easily come up with an excuse as to why you’re not eating breakfast at the same time as then for it not to be an issue. These things are only as hard as you chose to make them.

Children tend to copy adult behaviour, if not eating is seen as a good thing it could lead to problems.

You are coming across like a preachy vegan

8 hours ago, throbber said:

Questionable #BROSCIENCE found.