The get fit, stay fit thread

I'm still not at my goal but I'm a hell of a lot fitter than what I was which is good. Actually being able to shop for normal people sizes too is good.

Had a shit training session today - doing deadlifts but the skin on my hands was giving out on most reps when I got up to the weight I was going for.

Going to buy some chalk and see how that goes.  The weight isn't a problem, I can lift it but the skin on my hands is getting pretty bad.  Will see how it goes with the chalk.

Had a shit training session today - doing deadlifts but the skin on my hands was giving out on most reps when I got up to the weight I was going for.
Going to buy some chalk and see how that goes.  The weight isn't a problem, I can lift it but the skin on my hands is getting pretty bad.  Will see how it goes with the chalk.

I just use gloves for deadlift. Hands get slightly torn but is fine.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Shocking gap in posts here, I assume like me a lot of you have dropped off the wagon somewhat.

After a 6 week hiatus from gymgoing (I'm now at the age where I can do stuff that needs strength outside the gym or I can go to the gym for exercise but not both) I went back today and was pleasantly surprised to actually nudge my workout volume up a bit. In the intervening period they've bought another squat rack, preacher bench and a sled so that's nice.

No dropping off the wagon here, although I did have two days on the beer last week instead of my usual one. Been posting more in the running thread with a marathon now under 6 weeks away.

Still do a couple of sessions in the gym a weeks to work on upper body, have also signed up to a Spartan race too in September so strength training will notch up a lot post marathon.

I also discovered overnight oats which are delightful and apparently a great breakfast. My wife says I've become a full on fitness dickhead, which is nice.

Heading back tonight after a 3 and a half week absence due to being on holiday. Spent almost all of that time eating and drinking, though I did do a fair bit of hill walking and hiking on my week in Tasmania.

Not looking forward to getting back into it.

Hadn't seen this thread before. 

As I posted on the running thread last week I'm getting close to the 7 stone mark in weight loss and nearing my target weight. Or at least the weight I don't want to go back above once I'm below it. 

It's costing me a bloody fortune in getting clothes that fit and with the aim to lose more weight then I might need a whole new wardrobe again in a few months. The benefits far outweigh what could even be considered a very minor negative though. 

The fact that my partner is doing the same at the same time really helps. She's almost at what is considered an ideal weight. The fact that we are both doing it acts as an extra spur and there isn't one of trying to talk the other into getting a takeaway or to "go for something to eat first" if we are going to a gig/theatre. 

Really cutting back on the booze has been a big part of things. Not easy while Thistle have been so shite this season. A wee blow out now and then is no real problem providing you get back on it. Previously when I was trying to lose weight I'd fall off the wagon and get disheartened very quick. That's where having someone do it with you can be a real help. 

Finding that better than just making them in the morning? I've not been convinced it's much of a time saver when you can just microwave them.

Works well for me yeah. I spend about an hour on a Sunday making my lunch for the week so just make a decent batch of overnight oats at the same time so it’s ready to eat the next morning.

After 4 weeks with the pt I lost half an inch of chest and half inch off each arm. And nothing off my tummy! That was a couple weeks ago. I’ve upped sessions to three a week and started c25k. More importantly my mental health is better for it.

After 4 weeks with the pt I lost half an inch of chest and half inch off each arm. And nothing off my tummy! That was a couple weeks ago. I’ve upped sessions to three a week and started c25k. More importantly my mental health is better for it.

Get on the intermittent fasting and tell your pt to go and do one.

Because a healthy diet and exercise is a better lifestyle choice. I’m also not going to have my daughters think starving themselves is acceptable way to live.

So because you go a 16+ hour window (8-10 of that you can be asleep for) that means you can’t eat healthy and exercise?

Secondly, if you think going 16 hours without consuming any calories is starving yourself that is probably part of the reason you have found yourself overweight. It takes about a month until someone starves to death. Do you think your children will notice or care that you aren’t eating at certain parts of the day as well?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dont want to speak out of turn but I imagine Rowan is suggesting she wants to teach her kids that with a balanced diet and exercise there is no need to try and "sustain" anything.

This. None of my kids are overweight and all eat good home cooked food most of the time. 

I also wouldn’t consider the period of time you are asleep as intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting suggests deliberately not eating.

I know exactly why I became over weight, because I like food. Along with a combination of things going on in life and sepsis.

Not sure why throbber feels need be aggressive in replies. 

Dont want to speak out of turn but I imagine Rowan is suggesting she wants to teach her kids that with a balanced diet and exercise there is no need to try and "sustain" anything.

But Rowan said that intermittent fasting wasn’t sustainable long term because:

1) healthy diet and exercise was a better option.

&

2) She didn’t want her children seeing her starve herself.

Both points are complete bollocks with regards to intermittent fasting.

I’d argue that paying a PT £30 an hour to show you how to use a rowing machine and give you an eating plan isn’t a sustainable lifestyle.