The get fit, stay fit thread

Anyone got much experience of shin issues? I am flat footed which may be the root cause of it (I wear Mizuno trainers that are for over pronation) and get no bother from my feet but if I do a lot in a few days, specifically running but anything witg that impact on the shins (skipping etc) I start to get shin pain doen the front sort of on the inside.

I dont think its shin splints which sounds more sever but maybe the onset??

Anyway, advice welcome if anyone else has this. I have compression socks which I wear sometimes but not all the time. Just want to be cautious as I am in a good place training wise and dont want to f**k it

It sounds like shin splints to me. You're doing the right thing with the shoes which solved the problem for me.

Maybe worth getting your gait analysed? There are different levels of pronation support, maybe your shoes are not helping enough.

Meanwhile try to move your footfall from the heel to the ball of your foot.
Yeah I seem to remember thinking it was a lesser version but I went back on and read some more earlier and it must be. Sounds bang on. Just went for a 2 mile run there with my conpression socks on and they were fine running then sore when I took them off.

It has to be said I have done more road running in the last two weeks than in the last 6 months so it could just be getting back into it. Going to keep it to every other day at the most and no more than 4 miles for at least two or three weeks probably. Will rap altogether and do lower impact stuff if it doesnt ease off.

21 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I seem to remember thinking it was a lesser version but I went back on and read some more earlier and it must be. Sounds bang on. Just went for a 2 mile run there with my conpression socks on and they were fine running then sore when I took them off.

It has to be said I have done more road running in the last two weeks than in the last 6 months so it could just be getting back into it. Going to keep it to every other day at the most and no more than 4 miles for at least two or three weeks probably. Will rap altogether and do lower impact stuff if it doesnt ease off.

Might be no more to it than hurts. It hurts because it does hurt when you've not done it before, or for a long time. Allied to some of the training you're doing (I'm guessing a few types of jumps and skipping) and it's a lot for your wee feet/legs to get used to all at once. Keep up the good work anyway! 

Might be no more to it than hurts. It hurts because it does hurt when you've not done it before, or for a long time. Allied to some of the training you're doing (I'm guessing a few types of jumps and skipping) and it's a lot for your wee feet/legs to get used to all at once. Keep up the good work anyway! 
Aye. Just going to need to pay attention to it and not do anything silly. I wont be running every day anyway as I have other stuff I want to do so hopeful that it will just naturally fade off

Got the weight down to 88kg so that's 17kg down in total now.  Even starting to see a hint of definition in the upper body in the mirror too.

Marathon training going well too, did 18 miles on Saturday at average pace of 9min per mile.

Health kick been going about 5 months now and loving it, it's done my mental health the world of good.  Leaps and bounds from the very dark place I was in previously.  So glad I just committed to it eventually.

Guest bernardblack
Anyone got much experience of shin issues? I am flat footed which may be the root cause of it (I wear Mizuno trainers that are for over pronation) and get no bother from my feet but if I do a lot in a few days, specifically running but anything witg that impact on the shins (skipping etc) I start to get shin pain doen the front sort of on the inside.

I dont think its shin splints which sounds more sever but maybe the onset??

Anyway, advice welcome if anyone else has this. I have compression socks which I wear sometimes but not all the time. Just want to be cautious as I am in a good place training wise and dont want to f**k it

I had shin problems really bad until I started with the compression socks, tried them?

Also I was told that I may have been tying my trainers too tight also, could be that!

Edit - you’ve tried compression socks!

Found a fantastic skipping rope in gym on hols so just went to check it out and see if I could get one in this country. Now I'm not too sure if ordering one could get me on some sort of watch list: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J8D463?aaxitk=CUOC6XSp78BEJg-0oLTJXw&pd_rd_i=B076J8D463&pf_rd_p=0e11f8c9-98e1-4a93-bd5e-367420b613ee&hsa_cr_id=3148997270102&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F81f02N68g2L.jpg&sb-ci-a=B076J8D463 

s-l640.jpg

Found a fantastic skipping rope in gym on hols so just went to check it out and see if I could get one in this country. Now I'm not too sure if ordering one could get me on some sort of watch list: 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J8D463?aaxitk=CUOC6XSp78BEJg-0oLTJXw&pd_rd_i=B076J8D463&pf_rd_p=0e11f8c9-98e1-4a93-bd5e-367420b613ee&hsa_cr_id=3148997270102&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F81f02N68g2L.jpg&sb-ci-a=B076J8D463 
s-l640.jpg&key=1a236439dd3aaf70d8a9fcaa4011e50792bcedd520a8d77f23a00c3f80f9c12a
I have one. Think I posted it on a thread on here as the name is obviously class.

The wee instruction manual that comes with it prefixes everything with beast and tells you it can help you become various different sorts of beast. Its worth buying for that alone.

Beast.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Aye. Just going to need to pay attention to it and not do anything silly. I wont be running every day anyway as I have other stuff I want to do so hopeful that it will just naturally fade off

Had it on and off in the past.  Don't think there's any exciting solution really apart from resting from the activities that instigate it for a while and start to build it up again gradually.  If you do have the pain when you start whatever you're doing it'll loosen off and go away after a while but that's apparently not to be recommended.

I don't use a rope outdoors much anymore only as a warm up/finisher in the gym where the flooring is a bit rubbery so less impact.  Never had it from distance running but used sometimes from hill sprints/runs on flights of steps outdoors.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

43 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Thanks to you I now have a BEAST! advert following me around the internet.

I watch fitness / weights videos on YouTube and had this pop up in my suggestions

This man is off his fucking rocker :lol:  

Up at 1am, hoover the whole house, drive at 140mph to the gym, smoke a joint, fart in the gym, eat some beef for breakfast, flex in a tiny room wearing trunks with a massive guy watching you, go home, smash up bathroom because wife bought a dog.  :lol:  

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I watch fitness / weights videos on YouTube and had this pop up in my suggestions

This man is off his fucking rocker :lol:  

Up at 1am, hoover the whole house, drive at 140mph to the gym, smoke a joint, fart in the gym, eat some beef for breakfast, flex in a tiny room wearing trunks with a massive guy watching you, go home, smash up bathroom because wife bought a dog.  :lol: