The get fit, stay fit thread

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Deadlifting is something I have simply never mastered the technique, to the extent that I've just stopped doing it as you look like a total idiot and you get no benefit from it anyway.

Should really get some PT advice or something on the best way to do it.

I'm much the same, yeah.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/deadlifts.html

the instructions are quite good on there, but I ended up totally lost when I tried making sense of the tips bit. Says that a lot is determined by your individual characteristics etc. and without any decent coaching on form it feels like the effort put into it is better spent with simpler (albeit ideally still compound) movements that I'm more comfortable with and more confident that I'm performing correctly, or at least with far better form than I could manage on a barbell deadlift.

I tend to stick to the fixed machines when I'm at the gym, because I don't trust myself to keep the correct form and shape. Would rather be slightly inefficient than end up doing long term damage.

Heavy training with free weights really should be a 2 man job IMO.

Anyway, I have dropped over half a stone in 2 weeks thanks to a pretty intense training regime. Pleasing.
Would you mind sharing Bairnardo?

Is it mostly cardio stuff, free weights or what?
You been watching your diet as well as the training?

I only do barbell lifts, I’m time pressed and can’t go round a load of machines. I also think you get better, more rounded, functional benefits from barbell lifting.

I do now make involuntary noises when lifting, deadlifts especially' which is really embarrassing. At least I’m not dropping dumbbells on the floor though.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I only do barbell lifts, I’m time pressed and can’t go round a load of machines. I also think you get better, more rounded, functional benefits from barbell lifting.

I do now make involuntary noises when lifting, deadlifts especially' which is really embarrassing. At least I’m not dropping dumbbells on the floor though.

I've noticed folk on here giving their fellow gym users some stick for making noises when lifting as if they're showing off.  I can't imagine anyone thinking their grunts are impressing anyone - well I can really as there are bellends everywhere - but I'd imagine the majority of people lifting heavy weights are making noises involuntarily. 

Accidentally letting out a fart mid-exercise is not a good look either. 

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I've noticed folk on here giving their fellow gym users some stick for making noises when lifting as if they're showing off.  I can't imagine anyone thinking their grunts are impressing anyone - well I can really as there are bellends everywhere - but I'd imagine the majority of people lifting heavy weights are making noises involuntarily. 

Accidentally letting out a fart mid-exercise is not a good look either. 

I'd say it's pretty easy to distinguish between the involuntary and the attention seekers.

There was a guy at my gym who was doing it and at the end of every set let out a "WOOOOO!"

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I finished doing squats in the gym earlier and thinking back to this went and tried the arm curl machine.  It was shit.

Without knowing how the other person is going to take it, I'd leave it alone. He might really appreciate your friendly advice or he might get offended and that would make it awkward anytime you see each other in the gym in future. 
If you're genuinely concerned for him you could let one of the staff know to advise him, assuming they are a PT. 

He seemed very confident in what he was doing. Also had a weight lifting belt on. Just looked utterly daft when he started doing the lift :lol:

Lost about 5 or 6 lbs in 2 and a bit weeks, so not bad going. Down to just a bit below 13 stone; already seeing a difference with my galavanting runs in football and not struggling to get back. I don't know what it is about straight cardio (running, treadmill, etc) but I just love it. Interval sprints are great as well, with the little walking breaks between each 100m sprint.

Progress will probably slow down now, but if I keep at it with a calorie deficit diet, the lbs should still drop off. 

Since just before Christmas myself and a boy from work have been going to the gym at lunchtime 3 or 4 times a week and have started doing weights.  I'm 40 this year and haven't done anything like this for nearly 20 years, so I'm a bit self conscious at the moment.  I just really want to lose a bit of weight and improve how I look a bit.  It's probably the onset of a mid life crisis.

I'm using muscles that haven't really been asked to do much for a long time, but I am starting to feel like I'm getting results.