The get fit, stay fit thread

My wife (no pics) is on a diet at the moment and is eating oats for breakfast.  I haven't eaten oats since I was a kid and hated porridge, so gave them a go.  I didn't make porridge as such, just oats and milk (unheated), and it was pretty good, certainly way less stodgy than proper porridge.

Anyway, being a bit of a geek for this sort of thing, I played about with ingredients to try to produce a perfect breakfast in terms of nutrition, taste and cost.  This is what I came up with, ready to be shot down in flames by the P+B fitness and diet gurus: 80g oats, 170 ml milk, 100ml water, 40g bran flakes and 10g protein shake powder.  The key nutrition info is: 561 kcal, 10g fat, 15g sugar (almost all 'natural'), 26g protein, 14g fibre... and just 41p per portion.

It tastes pretty good, is quick to make and is properly filling, not like a bowl of normal cereal that leaves me hungry 2 hours before lunchtime.  Before anyone says it's lacking in fruit and veg, yes it is, but I always make up for that with lunch and dinner.

50 minutes ago, Gnash said:

My wife (no pics) is on a diet at the moment and is eating oats for breakfast.  I haven't eaten oats since I was a kid and hated porridge, so gave them a go.  I didn't make porridge as such, just oats and milk (unheated), and it was pretty good, certainly way less stodgy than proper porridge.

Anyway, being a bit of a geek for this sort of thing, I played about with ingredients to try to produce a perfect breakfast in terms of nutrition, taste and cost.  This is what I came up with, ready to be shot down in flames by the P+B fitness and diet gurus: 80g oats, 170 ml milk, 100ml water, 40g bran flakes and 10g protein shake powder.  The key nutrition info is: 561 kcal, 10g fat, 15g sugar (almost all 'natural'), 26g protein, 14g fibre... and just 41p per portion.

It tastes pretty good, is quick to make and is properly filling, not like a bowl of normal cereal that leaves me hungry 2 hours before lunchtime.  Before anyone says it's lacking in fruit and veg, yes it is, but I always make up for that with lunch and dinner.

That's a dreadful post, Gnash.    I suspect the wife's on the snake-hips diet to get away from the "oats enthusiast" and bag herself a charismatic middle aged man with normal hobbies like tit-wanks, good cheese and lashing of imported premium lager.    

12 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

That's a dreadful post, Gnash.    I suspect the wife's on the snake-hips diet to get away from the "oats enthusiast" and bag herself a charismatic middle aged man with normal hobbies like tit-wanks, good cheese and lashing of imported premium lager.    

I like all of those things too....

5 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I like all of those things too....

You've redeemed yourself Gnash in the eyes of me and that's very very important.   People bounce back, take Anthony  Mcpartlin for example sure he released "Get ready to rumble" and polluted the air with the airbag dust in his drugs fueled car crash, but by god can he host a TV talent show.   I wish him well and I wish you well too.  

I’ve tended to have eggs or Greek yoghurt for breakfast in the last few months but have started having porridge again. Forgot I had a pouch of protein powder on the shelf so have been mixing in half a scoop or so.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Never been a fan of porridge although everyone raves about it.  Have thought about changing to it but no point eating something you don't enjoy.

I currently switch periodically between high protein granola or an omelette with some avocado on the side.

Much prefer eggs and avocado or oily fish for my first main meal served up with things like olives, artichokes, rocket etc. 

Quick update.
Had the treadmill for a couple days now and managed 2.5k a day before the knee is "wobbly" also been decorating the kids bedrooms so been pretty active up and down the steps.
Had Physio today and she's pretty pleased with both knees so she asked if I was a member of the gym, told her that was my next step so she kindly signed me up for 2 months of a North Lanarkshire pass FREE and after they 2 months its only £10 a month for the next 3 months.
Cracking offer considering its about £33 a month for the pass that gets you into any NL gym, swimming pool, steam rooms etc...

2 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Much prefer eggs and avocado or oily fish for my first main meal served up with things like olives, artichokes, rocket etc. 

I'd agree with you, the Granola is more of a convenience before  work over making a more decent breakfast everyday.  Weekends I'm always back on the eggs etc.

Witnessed probably the worst deadlifting form of all time last night. This guy a little bit younger than me cat arching his back so bad i started cringing. Felt like I should’ve said something cause the guys seriously going to hurt himself but at the same time it’s not really my business.

Anyone on here ever stopped anyone to give advice regarding form in the gym?

35 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Witnessed probably the worst deadlifting form of all time last night. This guy a little bit younger than me cat arching his back so bad i started cringing. Felt like I should’ve said something cause the guys seriously going to hurt himself but at the same time it’s not really my business.

You see some people with some odd or bad form but I'm not an expert so I'm loathe to pull people up.  People might have physical problems that mean they have to lift like that.

I once saw a guys put a barbell on the safety bars of the squat rack, put 20kg plates on the barbell, lie down on the floor, hold onto the barbell, do a leg raise and when his legs hit the floor he pressed the barbell up about four inches.   It was odd.

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Deadlifting is something I have simply never mastered the technique, to the extent that I've just stopped doing it as you look like a total idiot and you get no benefit from it anyway.

Should really get some PT advice or something on the best way to do it.

Airdrie's cooncil gym is pretty good too.
Its been a couple year since I was last in it, but I've heard its pretty decent.
That and the fact its a 15 minute walk from my front door its pretty handy!
I also pass the Time Capsule on my way to/from work so I could dive in there at lunch or before/after work.

I've thought about it once or twice but I find it so irritating when some know nothing bam comes and tries to do it to me that I've held off. That being said I've never seen anyone do anything I'd consider as serious as your example.
I have been asked for advice and have been happy to do it then though.

Aye, I’m not super knowledgeable when it comes to lifting only really being doing it properly for about 2 and half years, but I can tell this guys going to really f**k his back up if he keeps it up.

Having said this stuff, the guy who spoke to me about gloves (GLOVES) was really cool and it's good to get proper advice.

The issue with the fitness industry is that it's full of bro-science and crap advice.  I'm sure someone told the "lying down bench press leg lift" guy that it was a good exercise.

9 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Without knowing how the other person is going to take it, I'd leave it alone. He might really appreciate your friendly advice or he might get offended and that would make it awkward anytime you see each other in the gym in future. 

If you're genuinely concerned for him you could let one of the staff know to advise him, assuming they are a PT.