The Club Logo Thread

Swampy

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oakleigh play in the Victorian Premier League, founded in 1972 by Greeks.

Oakleigh_Cannons_Logo.gif

Founded in 1970 by Albanians, Dandenong also play in the Victorian Premier League.

Dandenong_Thunder_SC_Logo.jpg

A lot of clubs in the Australian state leagues seem to be ethnically based. That Dandenong logo is a decent take on the double eagle motif but generally these crests are unimaginative.

A lot of clubs in the Australian state leagues seem to be ethnically based. That Dandenong logo is a decent take on the double eagle motif but generally these crests are unimaginative.

Before the A-League was introduced, nearly all clubs in the NSL were ethnically based.

That's why they reformed the competition.

Always liked the Ajax badge myself. I have a coffee cup with the crest on it from a visit to their stadium some years ago. The head in the picture is of the greek hero Ajax (obviously) and is drawn with eleven lines to represent the eleven players of the team. Ajax's namesake and feeder club in Capetown also use the same badge.

• 1 month later...

San_Marino_Calcio.jpg

San Marino Calcio.

What a fucking cool badge!

Ooft, that's awful. I hate badges that are designed by committee, too many features, words all over them.

The Worlds oldest football club.

Sheffield FC

Wrongo. The worlds second oldest football club pretending to be the oldest.

Edinburgh Football Club was 33 years old when Sheffield was formed.

Wrongo. The worlds second oldest football club pretending to be the oldest.

Edinburgh Football Club was 33 years old when Sheffield was formed.

Sheffield's claim is not uncontested but it's hard to see John Hope's Football Club from Edinburgh as the world's first football club, when you're talking about a fore-runner of modern association football at least. They used the words 'football club' but the code of the football they played can't really be linked to what we regard as football today. I also think that part of Sheffield's claim is that they are the oldest football club that still exists, by which the John Hope FC is excluded anyway.

Sheffield's claim is not uncontested but it's hard to see John Hope's Football Club from Edinburgh as the world's first football club, when you're talking about a fore-runner of modern association football at least. They used the words 'football club' but the code of the football they played can't really be linked to what we regard as football today. I also think that part of Sheffield's claim is that they are the oldest football club that still exists, by which the John Hope FC is excluded anyway.

Sheffield FC didn't play association football early in their career either.

Sheffield FC didn't play association football early in their career either.

I guess "association football" refers to the code as dictated by the Football Association? So since Sheffield FC was formed before the FA it makes sense that they didn't play association football in the early years. I don't know the ins and outs but I guess they claim some influence from their Sheffield Rules on the later FA rules. A similar claim cannot be made about the John Hope FC from Edinburgh.

I guess "association football" refers to the code as dictated by the Football Association? So since Sheffield FC was formed before the FA it makes sense that they didn't play association football in the early years. I don't know the ins and outs but I guess they claim some influence from their Sheffield Rules on the later FA rules. A similar claim cannot be made about the John Hope FC from Edinburgh.

I should have been clearer: even after the Association formed and the rules of what we now understand as football were in their infancy, Sheffield were still playing some other version of the game, their own version. Not until 1878 did Sheffield commit to using Association rules, and that wouldn't even make them the oldest club in Sheffield: Wednesday and (if memory serves) Hallam played soccer* before that. In fact I don't think any northern club will have a good claim to being the oldest, because the Association was dominated by the south in its early days, mainly around public schools and London. (Then, of course, soccer reached the north, professionalism followed, and northern clubs started to dominate. It's not for nothing that mid-size cities like Middlesbrough were footballing hotbeds in the early days. Culturally - working class, rougher, ready for professionalism and to scoff at the 'Corinthian spirit' of amateurism - they were far more ready for the game of organised soccer even if it was imposed on them from the south.)

You're right, though, that their claim to being the oldest football club is stronger than that of John Hope. What John Hope played, so much as we can tell, was really the kind of mob game that was played (and is still played) in many towns across the British Isles and indeed elsewhere in the world. It had only the loosest connection to soccer. And although John Hope would have a good claim to being the oldest organised club that we know of, so widespread were these mob games that it is inconceivable that such organised groups didn't exist before. The Wikipedia article alludes to this quite nicely. I'm not trying to take away from the John Hope club here - they are the oldest clearly documented club for the game they played - but their claim towards being the 'oldest football club' in the context of soccer is utterly, utterly meaningless.

*because I'm tired of writing Association rules and it's entirely clear what this means, not because the USA is rubbing off on me

edit: I am in no way an expert on this topic but based on the little I know, Cambridge University AFC are the oldest football club in the world, going off 1) what we understand as association football and 2) their adoption (and indeed influence of) Association rules. Notts County also have a very strong claim, and if it can't be demonstrated that the CUAFC that plays today is a direct and uninterrupted continuation of that which was definitely in existence in 1856, it will be them. I don't think Sheffield have a claim at all.

Archived