The Club Logo Thread

Swampy

I bloody love club logos, me. I have thousands of them saved and also a hefty collection of bookmarks for logo sites.

What are your favourite logos, or types of logos, and why?

I like ones that don't rely on shields and crests. Olympique Marseille is a great example. Here the lettering is what holds the logo, which is classic but unfashionable:

olympique-de-marseille-logo-wallpaper-16-400x400.jpg

I also like bold, modern designs. Correcaminos (Roadrunners) UAT in Mexico have a very simple, but stark and striking logo that incorporates their symbol and colours with no additional detail:

Correcaminos.gif

Meanwhile there are some truly terrible logos out there, generally ones that make the mistake of trying to say too much that doesn't need to be said, usually within the confines of a shield or crest. Take for example Poli Ejido in Spain:

escudo%20poli%20ejido.jpeg

Now, this is just stupid. It's got a bizarre abbrevation of Club Polideportivo EJIDO at the top; then the sun and the hills; then some vegetables and fruits (which the area is famous for growing), then a bunch of sports apparatus. So it's told us what the club is with text and then also shown us as well, albeit in the most unimaginative and unattractive way possible.

Then there's ones that are simply a recreation of a town crest. English clubs are especially guilty of this, particularly the lower down the pyramid you go. Bury:

1278339091.jpg

There is virtually nothing in this logo that can't as easily be applied to the municipality as the football club, and while it's fine for a team to identify with a local area, this is just extreme.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bloody love club logos, me. I have thousands of them saved and also a hefty collection of bookmarks for logo sites.

Then there's ones that are simply a recreation of a town crest. English clubs are especially guilty of this, particularly the lower down the pyramid you go. Bury:

1278339091.jpg

There is virtually nothing in this logo that can't as easily be applied to the municipality as the football club, and while it's fine for a team to identify with a local area, this is just extreme.

The Bury crest was actually specially comissioned to mark their 125th anniversay (surprise surprise). They ran a competition and got fans to enter. The one before was pretty similiar in saying that.

Logos tend to congregate around certain styles in certain countries. In Argentina, for example, there is a slavish devotion to the shield format. Take this array of colossally unimaginative crests, drawn from the Primera alone. (Needless to say you can replicate this a dozen times over throughout the Argentine pyramid.)

All Boys: 023.jpg

Boca Juniors: Boca%20Juniors.png

Independiente: Independiente.png

Newell's: 20290-thumbnail_newells.jpg (fnarr)

Colon: 4-colon-de-santa-fe-97.gif

Banfield: Banfield.png (the real logo doesn't have the shadow effect)

Racing: Racing%20C.%20de%20Avellaneda.png (same, no shadow)

Quilmes: quilmes.gif

Godoy Cruz: 120.gif (too small to read but the letters say C.D.G.C.A.T, short for Club Deportivo Godoy Cruz Antonio Tomba. I don't know who Antonio Tomba is.)

The Bury crest was actually specially comissioned to mark their 125th anniversay (surprise surprise). They ran a competition and got fans to enter. The one before was pretty similiar in saying that.

The fact remains, it looks like it should be in the town hall. In fact I just googled it and it's almost entirely a rip-off:

http://www.ngw.nl/int/gbr/b/bury.htm

And they've stopped using that one I linked above and turned back to one that looks even more like it was traced off municipal letterhead:

http://www.buryfc.co.uk/page/CrestExplained/0,,10422,00.html

Pumas%2Bde%2Bla%2BUNAM.gif

UNAM Pumas.

Another Mexican classic. I dunno how the Mexicans do it, even their sponsor logos look awesome half the time. Except this one, mind...

l_1bf79c7f0bc09eb6ecae9df9ec7fa706.jpg

The legendary Club America goalie top ruined with the Bimbo logo.

Another superb Mexico logo with stark simplicity:

cd%20estudiantes%20tecos.jpg

Personally I'd remove the word Estudiantes from it altogether but the font used means that it's still excellent. Notice it's not a phoenix, as it usually is in football terms, but rather an owl, to denote study. That's a theme that some university/academic clubs use, such as Academisk in Denmark:

193px-Akademisk_Boldklub_logo.svg.png

Archived