The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Exactly- which makes it all the more disappointing that despite considerably better recruitment and a more experienced management team, we are in a very similar position points wise to 19/20 and 20/21 (before the collapse).

Those two were just a steering job on McKinnon’s squad. The minute they had to do things themselves we all saw the result. 
You would think we were near the bottom Of the league the way some are going on. We are as good as in the play offs and a decent chance of a Scottish cup final. This could end up a brilliant season but the usual negative shite is getting talked on the back of 2/3 poor results completely forgetting the three months we had prior to these results. 

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Bringing up their records, not what they’ve went on to do in their livelihoods. That’s just a nonsensical point to avoid contesting the fact. Also you’ve been the one banging on about how amazing McGlynn has been from previous incumbents so the comparison does stand. 

Ffs anyone who think these two are anywhere near close to McGlynn is just talking drivel. Sheerin is better thought of in the game than these two. 

8 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

McGlynn has certainly improved us but its becoming very frustrating how he sticks constantly to the same formation and tactics regardless of whether its working.  Subs tend to be like for like and as others have said, we have 4 strikers in the squad yet always go with just 1 up front. 

The only time in months I can remember us changing it and starting 2 up front he dropped the wingers.  

Last night was a chance to start Allan & Burrell.  Nesbitt is a blind spot for McGlynn. He's not on form and could have dropped out last night with Kucheriavyi pushing up and a 2nd striker starting.  

Can only assume whoever picked Kennedy for MOM is a closet Rangers fan.  

McGlynn teams have a history of ending seasons poorly.  Look at Raiths record in the play offs while he was there. Our recent form is a big concern.  

Typically,  we would start seasons well under Mcglynn but fade away.  Previous 2 seasons, especially last season being cade in point.  His record in playoffs is horrendous also.

That said, the standard at the bottom of the Championship is poor, Falkirk should fancy their chances over 2 legs if they get to the stage of facing one of them.

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Ffs anyone who think these two are anywhere near close to McGlynn is just talking drivel. Sheerin is better thought of in the game than these two. 

Yet comparable records at Falkirk and they managed to push McGlynn’s Raith for the title in 19/20. With those facts then one pair can’t be utterly terrible and one can’t be utterly amazing.

M&M got plenty of stick from you, me and others so why is it so contemptible to give any criticism to McGlynn?

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Typically,  we would start seasons well under Mcglynn but fade away.  Previous 2 seasons, especially last season being cade in point.  His record in playoffs is horrendous also.

That said, the standard at the bottom of the Championship is poor, Falkirk should fancy their chances over 2 legs if they get to the stage of facing one of them.

That's the problem. Airdrie are on fire and are way more dangerous than us going forwards. 

I think whoever wins that 2v3 match goes up. 

6 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yet comparable records at Falkirk and they managed to push McGlynn’s Raith for the title in 19/20. With those facts then one pair can’t be utterly terrible and one can’t be utterly amazing.

M&M got plenty of stick from you, me and others so why is it so contemptible to give any criticism to McGlynn?

McGlynn inherited a shit show, M&M inherited an expensive squad (and yes it was more expensive) with the likes of Aiden Connelly and McManus in it. McGlynn has got us to clear 2nd and a cup semi in 8 months with a good chance of promotion and a cup final. M&M went the other way to the extent the club brought in Gary Holt to help out, which in fact made it worse if that had been possible. Part of the reason we were where we were was the inability of M&M to get ahead of MCGlynn’s Raith side. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

22 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Those two were just a steering job on McKinnon’s squad. The minute they had to do things themselves we all saw the result. 
You would think we were near the bottom Of the league the way some are going on. We are as good as in the play offs and a decent chance of a Scottish cup final. This could end up a brilliant season but the usual negative shite is getting talked on the back of 2/3 poor results completely forgetting the three months we had prior to these results. 

Why is it important to read 1984?

1984 explains the divide between the privileged class and the poor. The main character is described as part of the privileged class; he works for the government. His job is to erase and change history constantly so that no one know what truly happened, which is supposed to prevent an uprising from the people.

11 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I could live with another season in L1. Surely the unexpected cup money makes that viable with the current squad costs. 

Good foundations set... no big teams coming down.. automatic promotion next season an absolute must. Anything else unacceptable. 

The board were very clear that the first team budget will be cut by £400,000 next season unless FSS subscriptions increase so I wouldn’t be so sure of that.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Not at all, just a standard facet of watching football. Plenty of defenders go over for next to nothing at all levels from Saturday Amateurs to Champions League and get soft free kicks. It happens a thousand times a week. The referee has an easy option - if he gives the soft foul it won't really change anything other than upsetting the forward and his team's supporters. When a striker goes down, the referee has to be sure. Give the foul and it could end up in a penalty/dangerous free kick/yellow card/red card. If he gets it wrong then he's potentially changed the outcome of the game. It has nothing to do with rivalry or who anyone supports, it's a fairly uncontroversial statement IMO.

You're talking about a contentious penalty where he has to be sure due to an element of doubt.

Watch last nights highlights and there is zero debate. If it's not a penalty then Morrison should be booked for diving!

Edited by Blame Me

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Gary Oliver would be first man dropped for next week, were it down to me. 

He was utterly hopeless.

And as for keeping Morrison and McGuffie on the wrong flanks when both sides of the field were getting loads of opportunity to cross but we always took too long to cut back onto stronger feet... jeezy peeps man.

13 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He was utterly hopeless.

And as for keeping Morrison and McGuffie on the wrong flanks when both sides of the field were getting loads of opportunity to cross but we always took too long to cut back onto stronger feet... jeezy peeps man.

Not to mention Kennedy's attempts at crosses 🙄. Less said the better. 

Donaldsons attempt should have signalled that we'd get joy having a pop and then ... nothing.

That we didn't even attempt further shots from range in the rain - especially after Kennedy himself mentioned it post Ayr - was baffling. 

To me a good few of them are waiting on the usual suspects to produce the goods rather than be ready for the 2nd ball. A little more adventure wouldn't go amiss.

Just now, Blame Me said:

Not to mention Kennedy's attempts at crosses 🙄. Less said the better. 

Donaldsons attempt should have signalled that we'd get joy having a pop and then ... nothing.

That we didn't even attempt further shots from range in the rain - especially after Kennedy himself mentioned it post Ayr - was baffling. 

To me a good few of them are waiting on the usual suspects to produce the goods rather than be ready for the 2nd ball. A little more adventure wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah there were a few second ball, and even crosses themselves, in the box where you looked to see who was looking to get themselves on the end of it it and there was literally nobody there. 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Exactly- which makes it all the more disappointing that despite considerably better recruitment and a more experienced management team, we are in a very similar position points wise to 19/20 and 20/21 (before the collapse).

So, if the recruitment has been better then our present 'predicament' must be down to poor coaching and management?

IMO the league has better teams in it now than at any time since we were relegated, with only the obvious two coming anywhere close to some of the shite that's gone before. Yes, I would obviously love us to be in Dunfermline's position just now, but we're not, however, that is no great surprise considering where we've come from. Some people (not neccessarily you) seem to think that we're in the same state as we were when Houston had us challenging for promotion or when Hughes had us competing well in the Premier and expect an instant improvement. We were relegated to the third tier of Scottish football FFS then have had to put up with all of the shit that's happened since. That was never going to be an easy fix. 

I now believe though that we've got a management team that know what they're doing and has us on the up. The whole place, not just the team or squad, seems to be a lot more professional, the fans seem to be more invested and most of us can now look forward with some hope and expectation for the future.

54 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The board were very clear that the first team budget will be cut by £400,000 next season unless FSS subscriptions increase 

I attended the AGM and I don't recall that statement being made verbally by any of the panel. 

I've just reread the AGM report (link enclosed) and I don't see it there either. 

AGM UPDATE – Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

Can you point it out to me please? 

The nearest they come to it is " From next season we’re therefore planning to change the business model and run the club without an operating loss." 

They go into detail about how the "normal" loss could be filled. FSS are not mentioned in this, and in fact a quick search shows that the FSS are only mentioned once in the whole article. 

The impression I was given (can't remember where from - maybe the AGM?) was that if we reached Hampden it would almost wipe out any potential loss next year. 

That however is only my impression. You statement is worded as being a provable fact. Do you have a link to maybe another interview where they actually said that? 

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I attended the AGM and I don't recall that statement being made verbally by any of the panel. 

I've just reread the AGM report (link enclosed) and I don't see it there either. 

AGM UPDATE – Falkirk Football Club (falkirkfc.co.uk)

Can you point it out to me please? 

The nearest they come to it is " From next season we’re therefore planning to change the business model and run the club without an operating loss." 

They go into detail about how the "normal" loss could be filled. FSS are not mentioned in this, and in fact a quick search shows that the FSS are only mentioned once in the whole article. 

The impression I was given (can't remember where from - maybe the AGM?) was that if we reached Hampden it would almost wipe out any potential loss next year. 

That however is only my impression. You statement is worded as being a provable fact. Do you have a link to maybe another interview where they actually said that? 

It was specifically mentioned in the latest Falkirk FC podcast https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2023/03/13/the-falkirk-football-club-podcast-episode-six-available-to-stream-now/

It was made pretty clear that the starting point for next season will be a £400k cut to the football budget and the cut will only be reduced if FSS and Falkirk Forever sign ups increase. If I recall directly, one of the directors actually said the budget for next season is out of their hands.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I could live with another season in L1. Surely the unexpected cup money makes that viable with the current squad costs. 

Good foundations set... no big teams coming down.. automatic promotion next season an absolute must. Anything else unacceptable. 

No, not another bloody season down here, absolutely had my fill in this league and if there’s any player in the NB happy to play in division three, collect your belongings and GTF, should be nowhere near this club.
There is more than enough ability in the squad, but like many guys who are posting over the last day or so, rightly asking questions of our recent below par performances and questionable line ups when we still had a fighting chance of making things difficult for our fife neighbours.
Many guys using stats about the previous good bad or ugly. TBH couldn’t give two Fcks what’s happened in the previous four seasons down here, just want to get out this hellhole. 
The cup run has been a pleasant distraction, however we have far more important games in the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

It was specifically mentioned in the latest Falkirk FC podcast https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2023/03/13/the-falkirk-football-club-podcast-episode-six-available-to-stream-now/

It was made pretty clear that the starting point for next season will be a £400k cut to the football budget and the cut will only be reduced if FSS and Falkirk Forever sign ups increase. If I recall directly, one of the directors actually said the budget for next season is out of their hands.

Fair enough, I'll give it a listen midweek when I have time.

It seems unusual for the budget to be out of their hands when they have a responsibility for things such as commercial activities, major expenditure (ie pitch renewal) and management recruitment which drives onfield success but I'll see what they said before commenting further.