The Falkirk FC Thread

36 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I note on the podcast that Keith gourlay mentions us training at the stadium when talking about the new pitch. Do we not train at little kerse these days?

I thought we left Little Kerse for safety reasons after the Craig Gowans tragedy? Mad to think that was nearly 18 years ago. 

Edited by Donathan

Guest Brockvillenomore
9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Was there not a lot of money spent on equipment and improving  facilities at little kerse and yet we've now upped sticks and moved back if true. I missed the AGM unfortunately but seems a bit strange.

That question wasn’t asked but the last time I was down there I saw no sign of it. 

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I thought we left Little Kerse for safety reasons after the Craig Gowans tragedy? Mad to think that was nearly 18 years ago. 

Aye but we were moving back there this season and mcglynn had asked for a lot off equipment and stuff over there which was duly supplied only for them to move back to the stadium it would appear. Mcglynn wanted the players to get away from always being at the ground.🤷 was mentioned on here at the time that it was added expenditure.

Edited by Shodwall cat

49 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Saturday match has to finish before 15:00 from what I understand or start after the 3 o’clock game’s finish

5 o'clock Saturday would surely be far better.  I presume our game will be on the beeb and if so there's surely nothing on the BBC Scotland channel that can't be rescheduled.

Edited by Shodwall cat

26 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

12:15 or 17:00, not sure either are ideal for Inverness fans, makes no difference to us though 

As posted my reference was aimed at the Inverness fans that have a fair jaunt to make a 12.30 kick off. Would hazard a guess it’s all down to the SFA/SPFL ( sorry Celtic ex BOD) 

1 hour ago, grumpyoldman said:

Hearing the semi is a 12:15 ko on the Saturday 

This would be stunning for me as I have a wedding on the Sunday and needing to travel for it on the Saturday night. 

Also I live about a mile from Hampden so this Tynecastle chat can get in the sea.

I'm not saying my exact needs should be specifically catered for but that is exactly what I am saying  

51 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

12:15 or 17:00, not sure either are ideal for Inverness fans, makes no difference to us though 

It bloody does for me being in Yorkshire 

9 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Then the business model has to change as the fans putting in an extra £300k+ per year is not sustainable. Sooner or later and with the financial constraints on fans disposable income it's going to decline. Apart from that it's arrogant to assume the fan's will just keep contributing that season in season out.

Therefore any monies from that funding stream must be looked on as a bonus and not included in the budget. Uncomfortable decisions will have to be made in the closed season to ensure the club does not have another mid season financial crisis and set a budget for next season that is credible.

Full time / Part time hybrid squad. Reduced fulltime squad all unpopular and not wanted but have to be considered.

I’m a bit confused as to what you mean? Surely the whole point of fan ownership and a member’s organisation like the FSS is so the club CAN rely on a level of fan investment in the same way we budget for season and match day tickets ect? The fan ownership model already exists and runs successfully at clubs like Morton, Hearts and Motherwell amongst others, I was under the impression this is something we are aiming to replicate so we can indeed rely on that extra income and set budgets accordingly which should in theory give the club a competitive advantage long term. Have you actually listened to the pod cast? The directors clearly said the coming seasons budget will be dictated by not only what division we were in but by the numbers signed up to the FSS at the time, nobody at any point suggested budgeting for another operational deficit so I’m not sure what your getting at in that regard either? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m a bit confused as to what you mean? Surely the whole point of fan ownership and a member’s organisation like the FSS is so the club CAN rely on a level of fan investment in the same way be budget for season and match day tickets ect? The fan ownership model already exists and runs successfully at clubs like Morton, Hearts and Motherwell amongst others, I was under the impression this is something we are aiming to replicate so we can indeed rely on that extra income and set budgets accordingly which should hopefully give the club a competitive advantage long term. Have you actually listened to the pod cast? The directors clearly said the coming seasons budget will be dictated by not only what division we were in but by the numbers signed up to the FSS at the time, nobody at any point suggested budgeting for another operations deficit so I’m not sure what your getting at in that regard either? 

100% this. Looks like some fans just don’t get it 

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Same, Had to explain to a few guys about the fan ownership.

Only a Suggestion, have some sort of open forum with the fans perhaps seated in the KM or main stand with a “podcast” type question and answer with not only FSS guys but the club BOD

TBF Falkirk Daft have done this. Some will never get it IMO

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

A lot of discussion about the importance of the FSS and the club fully behind and backing them to do well. Projected numbers to roughly double which increase yearly investment close to £200K. (Can’t recall if a timeline was quoted)

Impossible to project a timeline. 

We know from research that most clubs hit a ceiling of about 50% of adult ST holders. That’s a rule of thumb though and varies slightly for each organisation. As said before the key driver for almost all of these organisations has been an existential crisis such as administration. 

What does seem to be true is that it’s going to be a slow climb to get to double current FSS members. The FSS plastered posters around the stadium prior to Tuesday; we handed out a thousand leaflets; had a tannoy advert; had an advert in the programme and marketed the FSS on social media before and after the back of an amazing result including a great promotional video made by a member, but had few join up.

Membership has been rising slowly so hopefully be over 700 by the end of the season but could depend if fans join the new scheme instead.  Know there will be some who don’t believe in fan ownership so the new scheme will hopefully provide them with an alternative option to fund the club but, to me, fan ownership is already here. As a Union Rep with my own work I think you’re always better having a voice and the opportunity to influence positive change by joining the committee, having a vote or standing for election to the board so hope more fans will still feel encouraged to  join the FSS. 

Edited by Van_damage

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Impossible to project a timeline. 

We know from research that most clubs hit a ceiling of about 50% of adult ST holders. That’s a rule of thumb though and varies slightly for each organisation. As said before the key driver for almost all of these organisations has been an existential crisis such as administration. 

What does seem to be true is that it’s going to be a slow climb to get to double current FSS members. The FSS plastered posters around the stadium prior to Tuesday; we handed out a thousand leaflets; had a tannoy advert; had an advert in the programme and marketed the FSS on social media before and after the back of an amazing result but had few new members.

Membership has been rising slowly so hopefully be over 700 by the end of the season but could depend on if fans join the new scheme instead.  Know there will be some who don’t believe in fan ownership so the new scheme will hopefully provide them with an alternative option to fund the club but, to me, fan ownership is already here. As a Union Rep with my own work I think you’re always better having a voice and the opportunity to influence positive change by joining the committee, having a vote or standing for election to the board so hope more fans will still feel encouraged to  join the FSS. 

I think if we are going to drive the numbers up it needs members to spread the word and try to persuade people.

could FSS share the demographics of the membership. EG 18-30, 30-50 and 50+?

I have noticed a lot of younger fans 16-21 are coming to games now. Are they signing up?

Just now, grumpyoldman said:

I’ll need to leave at 8:30 to get into Glasgow in time for a pre match pint, but that’s a small price to pay to see my team in a semi final

It will have to be a two night stay for me if it is 12.15

10 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Only gripe with Monday - can we have some different post match music to what came on immediately after the FT whistle - showing my age maybe but didn't recognise it. Get Amarillo on within 2 minutes of full time

Are you talking about the definitely up to date 90s hit 'New Emotion'?

https://youtu.be/TMlNxoXDzpY