The Falkirk FC Thread

37 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Think this is what most of us do currently and isn't really working in relation to overall atmosphere even if it is good fun for us, hence the discussion for new ideas

Do what you want, just not a drum please 

Don’t underestimate the past few seasons of the abhorrent pish we’ve been served, which has greatly impacted the atmosphere at the stadium. We speak about the atmosphere at the old ground which was sensational at times, notably games across the seasons and in particular Hearts. As posted there was times at the old ground when the atmosphere was poor and reflective of the low gates we had across a few seasons. Didn’t see to many drums back then.
At our new home it’s been difficult for many reasons, one stand, two stands and finally a third across a twenty year period. The good form over the past couple of months has been really pleasing and the good feel factor has been creeping back.

We’ve had to find an identity with a new generation of fans which has been difficult if not impossible until the past few months.

The young team have been brilliant, and I’m sure they’ll grow in numbers if we can keep the results going that hopefully gives us a chance of that second promotion spot.

Drums - don’t need them, put an exciting winning team on the park, the atmosphere follows…..

Just now, Shibuya said:

Evening Bairns!

Driving up on Monday, where would you recommend for parking given the expected crowd? Looking forward to the game, should be tense as f**k and horrible for us all!

College would probably be the best shout.

2 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Evening Bairns!

Driving up on Monday, where would you recommend for parking given the expected crowd? Looking forward to the game, should be tense as f**k and horrible for us all!

West mains Industrial Estate is good and easy for getting back onto the motorway depending on where your heading back to.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

If Falkirk were to add a fourth stand then it should be like our North Stand, but terracing. 

Falkirk could use at least half for all their home games and sell the other half for away games, either to use only that stand for smaller away supports (saving cash) or to sell it in addition to behind fhe goals for larger away supports (provided home demand doesn't outmatch away fans  i.e. Celtic/Sevco where home fans can't be fucked with that bollocks). But they could also sell all of it for home fans, like we did against Ratih in 2011.

Edited by DA Baracus

Random fact I just learned: A player who played for us under Yogi Hughes recently spent nearly five years managing a national team including an unsuccessful World Cup qualifying campaign. I’m not talking about Russell Latapy, although he has managed T&T before.

Anyone want to guess who? 

6 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Alloa winning has us now 9 points clear of Alloa and  Edinburgh with a game in hand. As play offs go, that’s about as good a position as we could hope for.

I think I would prefer Edinburgh to Alloa, but over 2 games, there can be no excuses for failure to see off either of them.

It goes to show just how bad the last couple of years have been. Believe it or not, after 27 games, we are only 2 points better off than we were under M&M. I thought there would have been a lot more daylight than that.

Another 3 or 4 wins with others dropping points, and McGlynn could be in a position to rest key players before the play offs.

The M&M collapse came late in the season, not unrelated to an appalling injury list

I loved Brockville as much as the next fan (see my earlier post) but we have to acknowledge that it was of its time. In fact, at the end, it had gone past its time, it was a dump (see Cappielow and Somerset Park).

I think that the consensus on here is that we are unhappy with TFS but neither do we want a Lego Land stadium like St. Mirren’s. The preferred option would appear to be a smaller version of Tynecastle but that ship has sailed and we have what we have. Therefore, we have to make the most of what we have.

So, let us do a SWOT analysis:

Strengths

3 sided stadium

Located slap bang in the centre of Scotland

Easy access via the motorway network

Plastic pitch

Weaknesses

3 sided stadium

Lacks atmosphere

Plastic pitch

Opportunities

See strengths. As we have seen in the past we have an ideal stadium, location, pitch and accessibility for concerts. We just need to hope, indeed I would suspect, that the sales and marketing team who are doing a fantastic job are already on to this, contacting acts and agents and proposing TFS as a venue for the next few summers. Helps plug the annual £400K hole that we keep talking about.

(Because of the above,*heresy alert* I am not totally opposed to remaining a 3 sided stadium for the foreseeable future due to the additional funds that it can generate. However, I acknowledge that the “empty space” that is the 4th sided of the stadium needs to be dealt with to improve atmosphere and noise on match days).

Threats

Lack of atmosphere on match days

Surely it would be possible to erect say a 60ft high “wall” of scaffolding along the length of the pitch on the Grangemouth side and then cover it with some navy blue, industrial strength, heavy duty nylon sheeting or such like? Then emblazon it with a humungous COYB logo. Not unlike the Rayo Vallecano wall proposed by @Bairns1994Have some holes poked in it to allow the wind through so that it doesn’t collapse in a storm. Easy enough to take down at the end of the season for the music concerts.

If / when we get to the Premiership we could then install some terracing over there and that could be our Ultras special place where they can bang their drums to their hearts content.

image.jpeg.fc962dcfccfe6a759efbaa580d5e46de.jpeg

There's certainly no denying an overall lack of competition in the top flight of Scottish football. Myself and a friend were discussing this recently and we both realised that since we started going to games around 32 years ago no one other than the bigot bros have won the top league. Indeed the only other team that have won it since we were born was Aberdeen on one solitary occasion. It's utterly pathetic how the media portray the two as anything other than greedy, cheating losers.

25 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

There's certainly no denying an overall lack of competition in the top flight of Scottish football. Myself and a friend were discussing this recently and we both realised that since we started going to games around 32 years ago no one other than the bigot bros have won the top league. Indeed the only other team that have won it since we were born was Aberdeen on one solitary occasion. It's utterly pathetic how the media portray the two as anything other than greedy, cheating losers.

We aren’t the only country with a lack of competition. Think the same could be said for many leagues where cash is king. In Spain, Barca and Real with the very occasional outlier. Possibly even worse in Germany with Bayern winning the league most seasons. Holland has a dominant Ajax.

There are not too many leagues with a semblance of competition e.g Italy with the Milan’s, Juve, Lazio, Roma etc. England maybe as well. 

Edited by Zbairn

37 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

We aren’t the only country with a lack of competition. Think the same could be said for many leagues where cash is king. In Spain, Barca and Real with the very occasional outlier. Possibly even worse in Germany with Bayern winning the league most seasons. Holland has a dominant Ajax.

There are not too many leagues with a semblance of competition e.g Italy with the Milan’s, Juve, Lazio, Roma etc. England maybe as well. 

We are less competitive than those leagues you mentioned Tbf. Celtic have won 93% of league games this season rising to 95% in all domestic games. Bayern 61%. Arsenal 77%. PSG 77%. For leagues with similar ranking to us, Belgium 75% and Austria 80%. Our top league is easily the least competitive when you consider Rangers have won c.80% of league games also and Hearts in 3rd are 25 points behind 2nd.

Ours is the worst by a mile.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

8 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

If only we had something akin to the draft system like in the NFL, it would make the leagues so much more interesting.

21 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Since 2000:

Spain - 5 League winners (Deportivo, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona), 10 Copa del Rey winners (the above plus Sevilla, Zaragoza, Mallorca, Espanol and Real Betis)

Germany - 5 League winners (Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund, Bayern), 9 DFB-Pokal winners (the above plus Schalke 04, 1. FC Nurnburg, Eintracht Frankfurt and RB Leipzig)

France -7 League winners (Nantes, Lyon, Lille, Montpellier, Marseille, Monaco, PSG), 11 Coupe de France winners (5 of the above (not Marseille or Montpellier) plus Strasbourg, Lorient, Guingamp (twice, once while in Ligue 2!), Auxerre, Sochaux, Rennes)

Netherlands - 5 League Winners (PSV, Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, FC Twente, Feyenoord), 9 KVNB Cup winners (4 of the above (not AZ), plus Utrecht, Herenveen, Zwolle, Vitesse Arnhem, FC Groenigen)

Scotland - 2 League winners (Rangers (including Sevco), Celtic), 7 Scottish Cup winners (the above plus St Johnstone, Hibs, Hearts, Inverness, Dundee Utd)

So we're about Par with other counties for the main domestic cup, but miles ahead in terms of domination for the league title.