The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Brockvillenomore
2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I wasn't at the AGM, what was said?

He’s looking for his forwards to retain the ball, then circulate and recirculate if necessary. Bringing the wingers and midfielders into play, keeping the opposition on the back foot. This isn’t Burrell’s strength. 

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

This will be 6th time I can remember us going head to head with our Fife friends to win a league. 
From way back in the late 70’s, to the Jim Duffy season, to the 5-0 and they won f**k all year, to one in the late 90’s, to the season they spent a fortune to go up (just before they went bust), to this. Unfortunately they have apart from once got the better of us in these races. (the one in the 70’s was a three way fight which Berwick Rangers actually won) Fingers crossed it is our time. 

From what I remember, the rivalry between the clubs originated from that time. They didn`t just compete for league titles but also to avoid relegation on many occasions from the mid 70`s onwards. Prior to that it was just another fixture in the season. Jock Stein built a pretty decent side at Dunfermline in the 60`s with a few memorable European games at East End.

I think after yesterdays showing PJ will be down the pecking order, as much as he is regaining his confidence a bit Kinnears redeemed himself for the first goal and then some and would start him instead of PJ at EE

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Aye, the improvement in the quality of his final product is quite stark of late. 

Also thought at the start of the season he was looking a bit overweight he's trimmed down and I would be surprised if no one came in for him and if they don't then he needs a new agent

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

This will be 6th time I can remember us going head to head with our Fife friends to win a league. 
From way back in the late 70’s, to the Jim Duffy season, to the 5-0 and they won f**k all year, to one in the late 90’s, to the season they spent a fortune to go up (just before they went bust), to this. Unfortunately they have apart from once got the better of us in these races. (the one in the 70’s was a three way fight which Berwick Rangers actually won) Fingers crossed it is our time. 

1993/94 we pipped them to the league.

12 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

From what I remember, the rivalry between the clubs originated from that time. They didn`t just compete for league titles but also to avoid relegation on many occasions from the mid 70`s onwards. Prior to that it was just another fixture in the season. Jock Stein built a pretty decent side at Dunfermline in the 60`s with a few memorable European games at East End.

For me it was 2 Dunfermline greats becoming icons at Falkirk Willie Cunningham and George Miller.

That is when I noticed the games meaning so much to both sets of fans.

12 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Also thought at the start of the season he was looking a bit overweight he's trimmed down and I would be surprised if no one came in for him and if they don't then he needs a new agent

Following injury last season he was sent for surgery in London which the club paid for. At the time believe he was told it was possibly career threatening, but from his performances at the start of season till now has been an immense improvement. Hopefully he’s completely over the injury, and like some have posted he needs a new agent if there’s not been interested in his upturn In performance.

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Following injury last season he was sent for surgery in London which the club paid for. At the time believe he was told it was possibly career threatening, but from his performances at the start of season till now has been an immense improvement. Hopefully he’s completely over the injury, and like some have posted he needs a new agent if there’s not been interested in his upturn In performance.

Think Kennedy has also helped Morrison progress. We are not always using Morrison as the play maker and are equally likely to use the other side of park which gives Cal more room to play. Rowe behind him helps too.

Well done on your win yesterday. Falkirk looking like a proper footballing team now compared to the shambles you’ve had to endure in recent seasons.

Was reading through your AGM comments (and trying to ignore the usual tribal nonsense that followed).

I dip in and out of the Falkirk Daft podcast when FSS and the club reps come on (I make an Airdrie podcast so it’s always good to see what you guys are up to).

I’ve got a lot of respect for Falkirk fans. You’ve had a shocking run of it, but as a fan base you have stuck by your team through a rotten spell. 

The one thing which intrigues me most at the moment is that there seems to be a lack of critical thought. Everything seems a bit too cozy. Your club announce a £1.2 million loss and then at the same AGM are calling the response to FSS Luke warm.

I’d be losing it if I was in your position being spoken to like that. You’ve done your bit. Is there any more militant element of the Falkirk support who just want the decks cleared? After Hearts had all the nonsense with Romanov they had to take the hit of an administration and a points deduction to get on a more solid footing from which to build.

I really like the FFS model. For Falkirk I think it’s ideal. But, are the underlying finances of the club holding you back from being able to rebuild? It feels to me like the fans who weren’t the ones who made the terrible decisions which the board have made over the years are now being asked to carry the can for them (whatever the model was which has ended up with you not owning your main stand, making a £1.2 million loss, appointing inexperienced managers, signing Griffiths, evening signing Jordan Allan for cash - I know he scored against Kelty, but I don’t think he has any impact in the Championship if you do go up.)

The downside of FFS in my opinion is they seem to be wholly aligned with the board. On the last appearance on Falkirk Daft they glibly mentioned a short fall and that “soft loans” had to be put in. What is a soft loan? does it have to be paid back? They then call out the Council as being the problem because the rent is too high. The rent may well be high, but historically you entered into a partnership to build what looks a very high spec main stand (ours is all brick and galvanised steel where as the back of yours looks like a spaceship) and the rent is probably the clawing back of the Council’s initial investment/the result of deals done by previous boards down the years.

There are people on here saying that Falkirk don’t have any debt. Is that true after all these loss making years? I’m assuming that you didn’t have £1.2 million in the coffers to cover last year (or the £600k the year before or the £400k for this year) and so someone should be asking how you ensure long term viability rather than a room full of people nodding that the fans need to pay more under Option 4.

Option 5 might be that “Falkirk Forever” is about understanding how bad the financial predicament really is just now? With crowds of 4,000 you should be higher in the pyramid than the likes of Livi, Hamilton, Ross County and Inverness. Can someone explain to the fans how with 4000 fans, a handful of patrons chucking in 5 figures and 600 FSS contributors the club is still making hefty losses? Is there a whole load of debt which needs to be restructured via an administration in order to put you on a footing to properly compete? Is short term pain long term gain a better approach than assuming that the diehards will buy season tickets, sponsor players, join FSS and join Falkirk Forever so that more money is going in?

I’d back the Falkirk fans to do a better job after a clean break. Despite his role in the demise of my club, where is Blair Nimmo these days? He would be the perfect man to go in on behalf on a supporters group an objective view on why it’s such a disaster financially.

We cannot move Henderson back to CB. He was awful there in the 3-3 draw against Clyde and games against Kelty. Since he moved into midfield during the second half of the 5-2 win against QOS on Xmas eve we haven’t lost. Only drew 1 game since then which was a 96th minute penalty! Would be madness to move him. Get McKay back in next to Donaldson and Mackie as cover for CB and LB. 

Edited by Tea and Busquets

46 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

He’s looking for his forwards to retain the ball, then circulate and recirculate if necessary. Bringing the wingers and midfielders into play, keeping the opposition on the back foot. This isn’t Burrell’s strength. 

Wright's certainly better at doing that, however, with Airdrie chasing the game at 1-3 they were leaving huge gaps that Burrell would most definitely have exploited. He would surely have scored the tap-in that Wright missed for a start.

I'm imagining the type of devastation that he could cause Dunfermline in the 2nd half if we manage to go a goal up yet it doesn't look like McGlynn will give him the chance now.

39 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I think after yesterdays showing PJ will be down the pecking order, as much as he is regaining his confidence a bit Kinnears redeemed himself for the first goal and then some and would start him instead of PJ at EE

Can you get much further down the pecking order than second of two?

The overall quality of Falkirk TV is superb, probably the best in the lower leagues.

Got to say though the commentator always comes across as ridiculous. He resembles how I watched football when I was 12 years old, seems to think everything is against his team and complains about it during the commentatory. In a 9 minute highlights package he whines about Airdrie's goal being offside on 3 separate occasions, despite it being almost impossible to tell from the replay.

Absolutely no issue with club commentators being biased, as ours is, but there's a way of doing it. It's the only unprofessional part of an otherwise excellent service. Although I appreciate 95% of viewers aren't really going to care!

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The overall quality of Falkirk TV is superb, probably the best in the lower leagues.

Got to say though the commentator always comes across as ridiculous. He resembles how I watched football when I was 12 years old, seems to think everything is against his team and complains about it during the commentatory. In a 9 minute highlights package he whines about Airdrie's goal being offside on 3 separate occasions, despite it being almost impossible to tell from the replay.

Absolutely no issue with club commentators being biased, as ours is, but there's a way of doing it. It's the only unprofessional part of an otherwise excellent service. Although I appreciate 95% of viewers aren't really going to care!

Most of us have had a whinge about them at some point too. I used to give them it quite tight. I stopped though, because ultimately they put in a huge amount of time and work on a voluntary basis.