The Falkirk FC Thread

Always said this would be a difficult window for M&S. Losing the sevcos makes it very difficult as both decent quality and if my maths are correct it’s now four possibly five to come in. With the balance of games in the next four weeks against lower half teams, it might give the guys some breathing space albeit some difficult games. How do we measure the manager? We’ll soon find out.

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I see where  you are coming from but with Kenneddy I was just beginning to anticipate what was to come rather than what we had so far

For me it wasn't just Kennedy, who certainly had hit a rich vein of form, it was the fact that, with Rowe signing, we at last had a system that suited us. Two wingers with over (or under) lapping full backs and a goal threat from midfield. Whilst Oliver has done well enough in the last two games we've lost an option in Alegria being away and I don't think McGuffie would give us the same impact as Kennedy has been doing in recent weeks.

It'll be difficult to replace them with similar quality; McGlynn must be tearing out what little hair he has left!

The whole loanee thing is a nonsense. I understand it's part of the game now and part of the pond we now have to fish in but I detest the principal of it. Very difficult for a manager like mcglynn to plan when he continually gets the rug pulled from under his feet.

This is why the medium to long term plan has to be to have our own players coming through and those we get in are ours and contracted to us. I never want to have to rely on rangers.

As for alegria and Kennedy both were doing a decent job for us, but I'd argue there are many better and more important players in our squad and both are definitely replacable. 

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I've been to Tampa with work, and I've been to Falkirk many times over the years ... tough decision for the lad tbf ... actually, no ... it's not tough at all.

Me too….and St Petersburg Florida where they actually play is a fantastic place to live and work. Can’t blame anyone for moving there…..

4 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The whole loanee thing is a nonsense. I have understand it's part of the game now and part of the pond we now have to fish in but I detest the principal of it. Very difficult for a manager like mcglynn to plan when he continually gets the rug pulled from under his feet.

This is why the medium to long term plan has to be to have our own players coming through and those we get in are ours and contracted to us. I never want to have to rely on rangers.

As for alegria and Kennedy both were doing a decent job for us, but I'd argue there are many better and more important players in our squad and they are definitely replacable. 

The way I see it loans are really little different to contracted players at this level given so many players are on one year contracts.

Realistically, if we had signed Kennedy permanently last summer, a club could just as easily have come in with a bid now and he’d have been sold.

Loans are absolutely vital in my view as they give you access to players we would not be able to sign for us.

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The whole loanee thing is a nonsense. I understand it's part of the game now and part of the pond we now have to fish in but I detest the principal of it. Very difficult for a manager like mcglynn to plan when he continually gets the rug pulled from under his feet.

As for alegria and Kennedy both were doing a decent job for us, but I'd argue there are many better and more important players in our squad and both are definitely replacable. 

Agree, there's no doubt like most other clubs we have to use the loan market, but you are at the mercy of the owning club to take players back from you in the window causing all sorts of disruption. And loan players very rarely stay longer than one season so they are never players to build a team around.    

I think most now agree the preference is to bring in our own academy players and it will take time for this to filter through.

The legacy of Craig Campbell lives on at our club. 

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Me too….and St Petersburg Florida where they actually play is a fantastic place to live and work. Can’t blame anyone for moving there…..

Absolutely ... my earlier post wasn't a pop at the Falkirk area btw ... you just can't blame a young lad for grabbing a chance like that.

9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Agree, there's no doubt like most other clubs we have to use the loan market, but you are at the mercy of the owning club to take players back from you in the window causing all sorts of disruption. And loan players very rarely stay longer than one season so they are never players to build a team around.    

I think most now agree the preference is to bring in our own academy players and it will take time for this to filter through.

The legacy of Craig Campbell lives on at our club. 

Presumably you wouldn’t want the likes of Lawal, Yates and Burrell then or previously Will Vaulks or Luke Leahy then as they didn’t come through the academy?

41 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Presumably you wouldn’t want the likes of Lawal, Yates and Burrell then or previously Will Vaulks or Luke Leahy then as they didn’t come through the academy?

Where did I say I wanted exclusively academy players?

Thought it would be obvious to most that we need a mix of youth & experience, so i didn't state that ,but just for your benefit - we need a mix of youth and experience, and maybe one day that youth element will contain some home-grown players. I certainly hope so.        

18 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Where did I say I wanted exclusively academy players?

Thought it would be obvious to most that we need a mix of youth & experience, so i didn't state that ,but just for your benefit - we need a mix of youth and experience, and maybe one day that youth element will contain some home-grown players. I certainly hope so.        

You said “the preference is to bring in academy players”.

Surely the preference should be to bring in the best players possible, whether they be from our academy, youngsters released from other clubs or a loan player who is going to add quality to the squad?

The problem of the loan market is more you get clubs stockpiling players, with no intention of ever playing them in first team, just trying to eek out loan fees and transfer fees. Got worse i think since the ugly sisters have been allowed to have teams in Lowland leagues.

Get those teams to fk, and limit number of players a team can loan out, and problem solved.