The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Multiple pages for what I believe is a very unlikely rumour. Did we have this many when he was rumoured to be going to Hamilton? 

Probably a greater amount of conjecture about Morrison this time because there's a lot more to worry about!

If he were to move now, we'd be left with McGuffie (invisible lightweight) or the great pretender Nesbitt (fidget) out wide. And what if the Govan bigots were to re-call Kennedy as well? There's a lot to lose this time, so hope you're right that its very unlikely. 

55 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think Morton bought Chris Templeman from Brechin for £200,000 in the early 2000s. I think both were in the third tier (Brechin may have been promoted and Morton passed the other way? So it depends on your definition I guess).

I believe the transfer fee was around £70k and the rest was wages, signing on fee and bonuses to the player ?

Still crazy money though.

15 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Probably a greater amount of conjecture about Morrison this time because there's a lot more to worry about!

If he were to move now, we'd be left with McGuffie (invisible lightweight) or the great pretender Nesbitt (fidget) out wide. And what if the Govan bigots were to re-call Kennedy as well? There's a lot to lose this time, so hope you're right that its very unlikely. 

You've got burrell who can do a job wide with Kennedy on the other wing.  If he was going to get moved on though you'd need to be given the funds to bring in at least 3 . None of us wanted to lose Eddie may or Neil Duffy but the players that we got got in more than compensated at the time.  That's it working well though. When you look at the Davie weir deal Lambie did you see the other side of the coin.

Guest Ecosse83
3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Now you’re just making things up…..😀

It’s a prediction as to what would happen, very predictable in my eyes 😂

There's no point weakening ourselves by accepting something like 30k for one of our better players when we like Dundee are going for promotion in our respective leagues.  100k would be more suitable, and at least let us strengthen a few positions, namely a replacement for him, a striker and a midfielder. That's probably the only way I'd let him go. 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

It’s highly unlikely we’d be able to replace Morrison with someone better (or even of similar quality) in that position.

However, it’s well documented that there are gaps elsewhere in the squad and if Mcglynn feels he can improve these with the funds, it might still be worth moving Morrison on if it improves the squad overall.

Won’t be able to get someone of a similar quality? He is decent at this level but he ain’t fucking Messi. 

36 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You've got burrell who can do a job wide with Kennedy on the other wing.  If he was going to get moved on though you'd need to be given the funds to bring in at least 3 . None of us wanted to lose Eddie may or Neil Duffy but the players that we got got in more than compensated at the time.  That's it working well though. When you look at the Davie weir deal Lambie did you see the other side of the coin.

Jefferies was a master at wheeling and dealing though. Lambie was the polar opposite he let the better players go and replaced them with shite. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Won’t be able to get someone of a similar quality? He is decent at this level but he ain’t fucking Messi. 

Of course, there’s loads of recent examples of us losing players in a position and replacing them with better quality.

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Burrell out wide either as even when he's upfront he spends a fair whack of time out there. With us only having Alegria & Burrell as decent options upfront McGlynn's maybe been reluctant to try that as then we don't have anything coming off the bench to change upfront.

11 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I was waiting for someone to just take Latapy’s name out of context. You obviously didn’t read the full comment or get the point. 

I could only find Latapys SPL stats as there was no opta stats when he played in the 1st division. 

I’ll repeat the point for you but it is merely to show the effectiveness of Morrison in this league for us. i used Latapy and Sibbald, 2 players who were very creative for us to highlight the fact Morrison is doing more in this league at present. That doesn’t mean to say he’s anywhere near their standard. It’s all relative but you just can’t replace those numbers easily. How often have we heard of people say, he’ll run amock in this league and then do nothing? Callum Morrison has been doing it for 3 years, not in every game admittedly but most players don’t. 

I’d swap him for a Latapy all day long but as we’d struggle to find someone to contribute what Latapy did for us in the SPL, we would struggle to do the same for CM in this league. 

How did I take Latapy's name out of context (I could have said similar about Sibbs to be honest)? In fact it was me that added context by highlighting the different standards and leagues.

You left out any circumstances or standards with your comparison and only now are you saying "it's all relative" - you should have said that the first time as it absolutely is.

I've nothing against Morrison and think he should stay by the way.

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

How did I take Latapy's name out of context (I could have said similar about Sibbs to be honest)? In fact it was me that added context by highlighting the different standards and leagues.

You left out any circumstances or standards with your comparison and only now are you saying "it's all relative" - you should have said that the first time as it absolutely is.

I've nothing against Morrison and think he should stay by the way.

I did say that before, please read back and stop trying to make out like I said Morrison was better than Latapy or Sibbald. 

9 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'm not keen on playing Burrell as a wide player. I can't see Burrell do the defending part that is expected of the wide role, being wide as a lone striker is a million miles away from playing wide 😶

Quoting Jeffries and above Lambie regarding transfers is ridiculous, it's 30yrs ago and the market has changed massively. 

Also anyone stating 100k for Morrison obviously hasn't stopped drinking from new year. 50k is the absolute top end and only if English clubs are interested, Scottish market it's more likely between 20-30k tops.

We can only hope some of our squad fillers will go with a bunch of fivers and a part time contract elsewhere. We will be stuck with a lot of them tho 😠

10 hours ago, Hughsie said:

Of course, there’s loads of recent examples of us losing players in a position and replacing them with better quality.

And about 6 or 7 this season where we have improved the quality at this level. I have already said we should keep him but he is certainly not irreplaceable 

Anywhere over 50k would be tremendous business for Morrisons who isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. His legs are totally gone following his injuries and his pace is a myth. There is a reason that he only takes a defender on 1 v 1 when he is near the bye-line and that is he does not have the pace to get away from them once he initially beats them. Do it in the corner and he only has to get a cross on after that - something that is one of the weakest parts of his game.

He has his wonder goal moments but also has his absolute stinkers in equal measure. 

Can't argue with his stats being the best but at this level would we should be expecting those stats as a minimum regardless. 

18 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think Morton bought Chris Templeman from Brechin for £200,000 in the early 2000s. I think both were in the third tier (Brechin may have been promoted and Morton passed the other way? So it depends on your definition I guess).

It was £80K, which was still a ridiculous amount of money.

Morrison is far from a world beater but I think we’d struggle to replace him with the same quality unless we spent all of the transfer fee (which would presumably defeat the point).

In my view, the manager was always going to have a decision to make on the likes of Morrison and Nesbitt, as moving on your Wilsons and Rosses isn’t going to free up enough funds to get real quality in.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Anywhere over 50k would be tremendous business for Morrisons who isn't the same player he was 2 years ago. His legs are totally gone following his injuries and his pace is a myth. There is a reason that he only takes a defender on 1 v 1 when he is near the bye-line and that is he does not have the pace to get away from them once he initially beats them. Do it in the corner and he only has to get a cross on after that - something that is one of the weakest parts of his game.

He has his wonder goal moments but also has his absolute stinkers in equal measure. 

Can't argue with his stats being the best but at this level would we should be expecting those stats as a minimum regardless. 

You could expect it but it’s not easy to do. If you look at stats for the other divisions then they are all roughly on a par with each other. Finding a player to score 20 goals in this league is as difficult as it is in any league. Same goes for assists. 

That’s why I used some of the examples I did. Players who no one would argue of their impact for the club. In this league Morrison is just as effective, if not more so. I’m sure those numbers would dwindle a lot if we went up but to find someone who can do similar in League 1 is going to require a bit of luck or money. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

13 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Anybody heard how long Lawal's likely to be out for?

I haven't heard but from my limited medical knowledge a meniscus injury is a bad one, probably a couple of months and depends if he needs surgery or not as well.