The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Morrison has been one of the best players in this league the past 3 seasons and our most creative player. Letting him leave would be a terrible move. 

I wouldn't say he's creative as such, unless he's creating for himself. Not that I'm complaining though, when Morrison turns it on the team tends to do well and he's one of the few players in this division that can get you off your seat.

He had a good game v Queens, two goals and three assists, one of which was for QoS right enough.

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I wouldn't say he's creative as such, unless he's creating for himself. Not that I'm complaining though, when Morrison turns it on the team tends to do well and he's one of the few players in this division that can get you off your seat.

He had a good game v Queens, two goals and three assists, one of which was for QoS right enough.

Morrisons overall stats are as follows:

22/23

P24 G9 A4

21/22

P24 G11 A4

20/21

P26 G9 A3

For comparison Craig Sibbalds best season was::

14/15

P46 G7 A11

That was an average of a goal contribution every 2.5 games. Morrison is averaging a goal contribution once every 2 games. 

Whether he’s creating for himself or others, he’s creative and players with those kind of stats are hard to come by. Letting him go would be senseless. 

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Incidentally this is the assist table in the division. Nesbitt has nearly twice as many assists as anyone else bar on in the league.

if he could just add a few goals to his contribution he could be a really decent player.

it does suggest he’s an unselfish player, something Morrison certainly isn’t……

022E92DF-6D95-4077-900B-81FDC10F41B3.png

He’s also not had a goal or assist since Alloa at home. Kennedy has been putting some decent numbers in terms of assist and also goals of late.

13 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Morrisons overall stats are as follows:

22/23

P24 G9 A4

21/22

P24 G11 A4

20/21

P26 G9 A3

For comparison Craig Sibbalds best season was::

14/15

P46 G7 A11

That was an average of a goal contribution every 2.5 games. Morrison is averaging a goal contribution once every 2 games. 

Whether he’s creating for himself or others, he’s creative and players with those kind of stats are hard to come by. Letting him go would be senseless. 

That's why I said 'as such'.

When I think of a creative player I think of someone who can bring the ball down, maybe beat a man or two and possibly thread a defence splitting pass through to a team mate. Morrison's not that type of player IMO. 

I obviously don't have any stats to back this up but I would imagine that the majority of his assists are knocking the ball across goal from wide positions or getting a toe to the ball to pass to a team mate in the box. Nothing wrong with that at all but just not what I've got in my mind as 'creative'.

I certainly wouldn't want to lose him at this point; as I said earlier, when he performs the team tends to do well and I think he could be very important to us for the remainder of the season.

Guest Caractacus Potts
24 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That's why I said 'as such'.

When I think of a creative player I think of someone who can bring the ball down, maybe beat a man or two and possibly thread a defence splitting pass through to a team mate. Morrison's not that type of player IMO. 

I obviously don't have any stats to back this up but I would imagine that the majority of his assists are knocking the ball across goal from wide positions or getting a toe to the ball to pass to a team mate in the box. Nothing wrong with that at all but just not what I've got in my mind as 'creative'.

I certainly wouldn't want to lose him at this point; as I said earlier, when he performs the team tends to do well and I think he could be very important to us for the remainder of the season.

Different opinions but when I think of a creative player I just think of someone who creates goals for himself or others. 

Just out of interest but of the past 12 years who would you have in mind as such an example of the type of player you mentioned? Even Latapys stats for us(SPL only) are surprisingly just P98 G9 A11

Edit to add- Mark Millar P109 G21 A21

Callum Morrison P74 G29 A11

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Maybe controversial but I would actually be prioritising improving midfield over another striker. Imo we have two decent strikers. Mcglynn isn’t going to play 2 upfront so in my view there is little point bringing in another of a similar profile. I could see the point in a more clinical, 20 goal a season type but we are highly unlikely to get that.

My focus would be someone to play alongside Mcginn (might be Henderson or Yates but I’d like another option in there anyway) and a replacement for Nesbitt. In my view we can’t have him starting every game if we’re to push on in the second half of the season.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Different opinions but when I think of a creative player I just think of someone who creates goals for himself or others. 

Just out of interest but of the past 12 years who would you have in mind as such an example of the type of player you mentioned? Even Latapys stats for us(SPL only) are surprisingly just P98 G9 A11

Ooft, slim pickings if you're restricting it to 12 years but I'd say that Telfer, Irving, Sibbald, Fulton, M Millar, Flynn (was he here as recently?) are examples of the type of player I'm meaning. I'm not necessarily saying that they were particularly successful at it but it's the kind of thing that I have in mind.

I think the best we have in that mould at the moment is McGinn and we might even get to see a bit more of that from him if Henderson plays alongside and lets him move forward a bit.

Guest Caractacus Potts
51 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Ooft, slim pickings if you're restricting it to 12 years but I'd say that Telfer, Irving, Sibbald, Fulton, M Millar, Flynn (was he here as recently?) are examples of the type of player I'm meaning. I'm not necessarily saying that they were particularly successful at it but it's the kind of thing that I have in mind.

I think the best we have in that mould at the moment is McGinn and we might even get to see a bit more of that from him if Henderson plays alongside and lets him move forward a bit.

The reason I ask is to evidence anyone more creative. There is noone on that list with a better record than Morrison in terms of goal contributions. Even their assists alone don’t rack up much more than Morrison.

Telfer’s average per game was 0.15

Millar- 0.19

Sibbald- 0.17

Fulton- 0.17

Flynn- 0.21(Ryan not Johnny whom I thought you meant at first!)

Irving- 0.14

McGinn- 0.08

Morrison- 0.15

Memory can play tricks and fans often form opinions on current players based on focusing on their worse traits rather than giving them credit for their best. Some of the aforementioned weren’t fully appreciated either during their time.

Morrison’s goal ratio is far better than any of them too. 

That’s not to say that he’s a better player. I’ve no doubt Sibbald could do the same in this league but he’s out our range and Morrisons worth is measured by what he provides for the team in our current situation. At present he’s doing more than any of the guys you mentioned when they played in their respective league campaigns and to get someone to do likewise will be almost impossible without spending a load of cash. 

4 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Just ridiculous to compare Latapy's stats in the SPL (why is it just the SPL matches?) playing against the best in country at a time when the Bigot Brothers were spending millions on players, to Callum Morrison playing in the shittest league we've probably played in.  

My daughter got 22 goals and 15 assists last season in the Gold Coast U16 Girls League, should I be giving John McGlynn a call?  

Or should the Holy Trinity be extended to a quartet to include Morrison?

We can argue and debate stats all day long, Morrison consistently blows hot and cold, more cold for me, and like many of the players over the past few seasons have kept us in league one. If there’s any possibility we can bring better in, sorry  I wouldn’t be hung up with Morrison leaving. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

We can argue and debate stats all day long, Morrison consistently blows hot and cold, more cold for me, and like many of the players over the past few seasons have kept us in league one. If there’s any possibility we can bring better in, sorry  I wouldn’t be hung up with Morrison leaving. 

I’m the same, he’s never been my favourite but I can also see the reasoning behind not wanting him to go if we aren’t bringing better in, which at this level seems highly unlikely. I just think with Nesbitt, McGuffie, Kennedy and Morrison we have too much of a likeness. Out of the 4 though there is a very strong argument that Morrison is the one we should not be getting shot of.

Guest Ecosse83

I think as soon as Morrison left the usual suspects on here who would be happy to let him leave would start moaning after a few games. They would then proceed to rip into the board for letting him leave 😂

Yes he his inconsistent at times but letting him leave at this stage of the season would be lunacy! 

One of the main issues with the modern game is that people are constantly transfixed by bloody stats.  I'm sure some of the best players we've ever had would look bang average if you solely looked at statistics. Stats don't make a player and they don't highlight one thing bloody entertainment.  What stat covers stainrod kneeling on the ball or backheel volleying the ball out to gunner on the wing. What stat covers latapy nutmegging folk and beating 3 or 4 players .  Ryan Giggs averaged only 4 goals and 6 assists per season in his career which means he must be worse than Morrison too I suppose.There's a lot more to football than bloody stats. 

Letting Morrison leave would be a step back for us. He definitely blows hot and cold however don't think anyone can name me a winger in Scotland who doesn't blow hot and cold. We'll not find a replacement in January for him.

He is incredibly frustrating but for me, him and Kennedy are the two starting wingers for a reason, Nesbitt and McGuffie would be the ones I'd want rid of before Morrison. 

Letting your top scorer leave in January when we are wanting promotion is never going to be ideal. If it came to the summer and we aren’t promoted then I’d say fair enough and part ways for some cash.

I see the Ageyman rumour has hit the record with Linfield, Dunfermline, Arbroath and Dundee also mentioned.

Edited by gav-ffc

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Just ridiculous to compare Latapy's stats in the SPL (why is it just the SPL matches?) playing against the best in country at a time when the Bigot Brothers were spending millions on players, to Callum Morrison playing in the shittest league we've probably played in.  

My daughter got 22 goals and 15 assists last season in the Gold Coast U16 Girls League, should I be giving John McGlynn a call?  

Or should the Holy Trinity be extended to a quartet to include Morrison?

I was waiting for someone to just take Latapy’s name out of context. You obviously didn’t read the full comment or get the point. 

I could only find Latapys SPL stats as there was no opta stats when he played in the 1st division. 

I’ll repeat the point for you but it is merely to show the effectiveness of Morrison in this league for us. i used Latapy and Sibbald, 2 players who were very creative for us to highlight the fact Morrison is doing more in this league at present. That doesn’t mean to say he’s anywhere near their standard. It’s all relative but you just can’t replace those numbers easily. How often have we heard of people say, he’ll run amock in this league and then do nothing? Callum Morrison has been doing it for 3 years, not in every game admittedly but most players don’t. 

I’d swap him for a Latapy all day long but as we’d struggle to find someone to contribute what Latapy did for us in the SPL, we would struggle to do the same for CM in this league. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
20 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

One of the main issues with the modern game is that people are constantly transfixed by bloody stats.  I'm sure some of the best players we've ever had would look bang average if you solely looked at statistics. Stats don't make a player and they don't highlight one thing bloody entertainment.  What stat covers stainrod kneeling on the ball or backheel volleying the ball out to gunner on the wing. What stat covers latapy nutmegging folk and beating 3 or 4 players .  Ryan Giggs averaged only 4 goals and 6 assists per season in his career which means he must be worse than Morrison too I suppose.There's a lot more to football than bloody stats. 

It’s not just stats though. I look at Morrison in a lot of games and defenders struggle to cope with him in most matches.. His final ball may not always be the best and he’s certainly wasteful but there aren’t many better at taking on defenders in this league. That alone creates opportunities and if Callum is on his game then he scores or creates chances for others. 

8 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

It’s not just stats though. I look at Morrison in a lot of games and defenders struggle to cope with him in most matches.. His final ball may not always be the best and he’s certainly wasteful but there aren’t many better at taking on defenders in this league. That alone creates opportunities and if Callum is on his game then he scores or creates chances for others. 

He flatters to deceive a lot unfortunately and for a winger as I mentioned earlier very rarely beats a man from a standing start or gets to the opposition bye line. His crosses are in the main from before the 18 yard box.  When he's on his game though he's a decent player who scores some great goals. It all depends on how much money we would get and how much of that mcglynn would get. If there's no room for manoeuvre on getting more than the right back in then  it may be the only choice we have to get the players in we need to give us a chance of promotion.   Mcglynn has talked about ducking and diving in this window and sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

9 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

The reason I ask is to evidence anyone more creative. There is noone on that list with a better record than Morrison in terms of goal contributions. Even their assists alone don’t rack up much more than Morrison.

Telfer’s average per game was 0.15

Millar- 0.19

Sibbald- 0.17

Fulton- 0.17

Flynn- 0.21(Ryan not Johnny whom I thought you meant at first!)

Irving- 0.14

McGinn- 0.08

Morrison- 0.15

Memory can play tricks and fans often form opinions on current players based on focusing on their worse traits rather than giving them credit for their best. Some of the aforementioned weren’t fully appreciated either during their time.

Morrison’s goal ratio is far better than any of them too. 

That’s not to say that he’s a better player. I’ve no doubt Sibbald could do the same in this league but he’s out our range and Morrisons worth is measured by what he provides for the team in our current situation. At present he’s doing more than any of the guys you mentioned when they played in their respective league campaigns and to get someone to do likewise will be almost impossible without spending a load of cash. 

I'm not arguing otherwise.

You asked what my idea of a creative player is and I gave you examples of that type of player (IMO). Morrison doesn't fit my idea of a 'creative' player. Doesn't mean he hasn't got more assists. Nowadays, if Michael Higdon's big arse had laid the ball on a plate for someone else to score rather than going in, it would be classed as an assist. I don't think of Michael Higdon being a creative player. 

There's not necessarily a direct connection between being 'creative' and assisting in a goal.