The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We are half way through season and if we have aspirations of getting promotion, the last thing we need is a draw. We need to start winning games and it’s pointless beating teams one week then drawing or losing the next Saturday. There’s very little give in the league so far and apart from Fife and the bottom two teams, arguably there’s five/six teams who probably fancy a play off spot.

Fife will be happy to take a point and as we saw last game, a difficult team to break down, so hoping McGlynn has the balls to have a go………..

Not seen him set up yet not to try and win a game. Wrong selections at times yes but not intentionally not trying to win. 

3 hours ago, knee jerk reaction said:

A draw isn't a disaster but it certainly isn't what we need. We could still make up the gap with a draw as Dunfermline will drop other points but we would need to be consistent against other teams. A win makes a huge difference and McGlynn has to go for it. 

He has to do what it takes to win, if that means shitfesting it then shitfesting is fine with me.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

We are half way through season and if we have aspirations of getting promotion, the last thing we need is a draw. We need to start winning games and it’s pointless beating teams one week then drawing or losing the next Saturday. There’s very little give in the league so far and apart from Fife and the bottom two teams, arguably there’s five/six teams who probably fancy a play off spot.

Fife will be happy to take a point and as we saw last game, a difficult team to break down, so hoping McGlynn has the balls to have a go………..

The last thing we need is a defeat.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

... , so hoping McGlynn has the balls to have a go………..

A bizarre assessment. 

In the two games we've played against them we've taken the game to them on both occasions. Not sure why it would be any different on Monday other than making sure we keep a clean sheet this time.

Guest Ecosse83

Let’s not forget making the play offs this season will be progress, Mcglynn has probably done better than expected after the last few seasons! Sometimes I need to remember that after a poor performance and result, I’m knee jerk sometimes and I know that (especially after a few beers)

If we get beat on Monday we are probably out the running for the title but hopefully it won’t result in a meltdown on here. 

Edited by Ecosse83

5 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

If that is how McGlynn is thinking we would be as well chucking it now. We are 7 points behind and a draw is only good to the Pars. We need to start clawing back the deficit as they are showing no signs of a slump and we are showing no signs of going on a winning streak.

He may have been handed a wildcard with the way Henderson played in midfield against QOS and in my opinion he has to use it. McPake knows what to expect and will set them up accordingly. It’s up to McGlynn to come up with something different to get us a victory that in my opinion we need.

Yeah, I get all that, but McGlynn will only have a real go if he gets a couple of players in. He is a cautious manager, and will want to avoid defeat. He knows full well that losing means for FFC………the title challenge being effectively dead in the water for another season. Get a point, and we are still in it (just).

Of course, winning would be perfect, but I have seen nothing in McGlynn’s selections that has ever pointed to him “going for it”. Maybe he will change his approach for this game, but he won’t like doing it.

32 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

If we get beat on Monday we are probably out the running for the title but hopefully it won’t result in a meltdown on here. 

Hopefully not. There’s no point in everyone expressing the need for patience before the season starts, and then go apeshit because we are likely to end up 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Yeah, I get all that, but McGlynn will only have a real go if he gets a couple of players in. He is a cautious manager, and will want to avoid defeat. He knows full well that losing means for FFC………the title challenge being effectively dead in the water for another season. Get a point, and we are still in it (just).

Of course, winning would be perfect, but I have seen nothing in McGlynn’s selections that has ever pointed to him “going for it”. Maybe he will change his approach for this game, but he won’t like doing it.

I get where you are coming from but I’m not sure even a point keeps us in it given how inconsistent we have been all season.

I agree with the previous post regarding play offs being an improvement and I’ve said that I think McGlynn should stay even if we don’t go up this season. I think for this game he has to change something and have more of a go.

If he goes with the usual suspects, especially in midfield and we get beat I think he would get more flack than if we went and attacked them from the off.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

A bizarre assessment. 

In the two games we've played against them we've taken the game to them on both occasions. Not sure why it would be any different on Monday other than making sure we keep a clean sheet this time.

Really ? For me there’s playing with two up front and having a real go.

“taking the game to them” in my opinion isn’t the same. As said it all about opinions.

Guest Brockvillenomore

I don’t think we’re cautious or defensive at all. Some statistics. 

https://spfl.co.uk/stats-centre

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/scottish-league-one/best-attack.html

1. second highest goal scorers one behind Edinburgh who have played a game more. 

2. second best in goals conceded. Some way behind DAFC to be fair. 

3. mid table for clean sheets. 

4. the most shots at goal and on target. 

5. the most points from losing positions. 

6. low figures for reds, yellows and fouls conceded. 

It’s all about opinions but compared with the rest of the league I think @Duncan Freemason is off the mark. We’re not as free flowing as some of the teams we’ve watched in the past, I agree, but in this league we are one of the most expansive and creative. 

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Really ? For me there’s playing with two up front and having a real go.

“taking the game to them” in my opinion isn’t the same. As said it all about opinions.

So playing three forwards rather than two is not having a go? Bizarre “Mike Bassett” thinking IMO. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

I think its most likely that Henderson will start in midfield but I also wouldn't be surprised if he is back in defence.  A possible tweak would be for Mackie to move to left back (where McGlynn signed him to play) and for McCann to come into midfield alongside McGinn.  

Against QOS, he moved into that central position a lot until Henderson came on and I wouldn't be surprised if McGlynn sees that as the solution to the McCann/Mackie problem that leaves one of them on the bench at the moment.  

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I think its most likely that Henderson will start in midfield but I also wouldn't be surprised if he is back in defence.  A possible tweak would be for Mackie to move to left back (where McGlynn signed him to play) and for McCann to come into midfield alongside McGinn.  

Against QOS, he moved into that central position a lot until Henderson came on and I wouldn't be surprised if McGlynn sees that as the solution to the McCann/Mackie problem that leaves one of them on the bench at the moment.  

Team has lacked physicality all season in midfield so until/if McGlynn can get someone in beside McGinn then for me Henderson is the best option. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

5 hours ago, Brockvillenomore said:

I don’t think we’re cautious or defensive at all. Some statistics. 

https://spfl.co.uk/stats-centre

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/scottish-league-one/best-attack.html

1. second highest goal scorers one behind Edinburgh who have played a game more. 

2. second best in goals conceded. Some way behind DAFC to be fair. 

3. mid table for clean sheets. 

4. the most shots at goal and on target. 

5. the most points from losing positions. 

6. low figures for reds, yellows and fouls conceded. 

It’s all about opinions but compared with the rest of the league I think @Duncan Freemason is off the mark. We’re not as free flowing as some of the teams we’ve watched in the past, I agree, but in this league we are one of the most expansive and creative. 

Filter that out to the game(s) against Dunfermline, Airdrie and Montrose, and it paints a different picture. In L1, we have always been decent at beating the minnows, but our stats against the upper half opponents is far from great, and up to now, the management team have been unable to turn that around (with the notable exception of FC Edinburgh and Alloa who have now snuck into 4th place).

Our failings are pretty clear……an inability to beat a good number of top half sides who in turn, have beaten us in both previous seasons and this one. I didn’t say McGlynn is defensive. I said he is cautious, and there’s a big difference between the two.

The killer stat is the 6 games against Dunfermline, Airdrie and Montrose. Zero wins, 4 points from 18, scored 2, conceded 7.

Substitute Dunfermline for Cove or Queen’s Park, and it’s so similar to last season…..it’s in these core games that we continue to fail……..plus a couple of Kelty curve balls obviously.

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Filter that out to the game(s) against Dunfermline, Airdrie and Montrose, and it paints a different picture. In L1, we have always been decent at beating the minnows, but our stats against the upper half opponents is far from great, and up to now, the management team have been unable to turn that around (with the notable exception of FC Edinburgh and Alloa who have now snuck into 4th place).

Our failings are pretty clear……an inability to beat a good number of top half sides who in turn, have beaten us in both previous seasons and this one. I didn’t say McGlynn is defensive. I said he is cautious, and there’s a big difference between the two.

The killer stat is the 6 games against Dunfermline, Airdrie and Montrose. Zero wins, 4 points from 18, scored 2, conceded 7.

Substitute Dunfermline for Cove or Queen’s Park, and it’s so similar to last season…..it’s in these core games that we continue to fail……..plus a couple of Kelty curve balls obviously.

Airdrie who are 5th and Montrose who are 6th? Why not choose Edinburgh (who are 2nd) and Alloa (who are 4th), who we’ve beaten 3/3 on an aggregate of 8-1?