The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

20 I think? Hardly a child. For comparison, Sibbald had racked up 100 appearances by 20. Jay Fulton and Stephen Kingsley 80.

Maybe we just got used to the quality of the players coming through in the years before but it was clear to see he wasn't at the same level. 

He seems to be doing the business now 

32 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

20 I think? Hardly a child. For comparison, Sibbald had racked up 100 appearances by 20. Jay Fulton and Stephen Kingsley 80.

Maybe we just got used to the quality of the players coming through in the years before but it was clear to see he wasn't at the same level. 

He wasn’t at the same level as Sibbald, Kingsley or Fulton but you’ve picked the 3 best we’ve produced.

It’s evident that Blues has shown great resilience after leaving us and has bounced back and clearly worked hard and improved. Fair play to him.

Imo the fact that Cameron Blues is probably the most successful academy graduate over its last 5 years demonstrates that the previous incarnation had lost sight of the fact that it’s sole purpose is to produce players who are good enough for the first team.

There’s no point having lots of teams and full time sports scientists if you are not actually fulfilling that core mission as in my view, the academy wasn’t in its last years. I was pleased to hear Tony Begg make that clear in the recent podcast interview.

14 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

So if it's to be another season in L1 next year what will sustainable look like? Part time? Or pushing the boat out to get up, more 2 yr contracts to attract better players etc? Another gap? Tough task ahead for those who stood up for the rest of us.   

If we do go up investment in the squad will certainly be needed and such is the history of our club and fanbase we will have ambitions of going up again.

IMO completely fan owned is not for us at present whilst we try to get back to the top league. The slow take up on FSS subs adds to my worry, and there is only so many times you can go to Patreons for more money. Far better to keep the likes of MR & SA on board just in case along with a strong fans voice. 

Part owned by the fans is fine for now, we won't be a sustainable club until we reach the promised land once more. Hopefully by then we will be selling our academy developed players again for big money plus future add-ons (sustainable) and be the number one large concert venue in Scotland. Essentially where we were before the fools in charge (at the time) messed up badly.         

The fans (ie patrons and FSS) have done a great job in providing the working capital required to keep the club afloat but in my opinion we will need substantial new investment if we are to achieve our stated aim of reaching the SPL by 2026.

Cameron Blues started 2 league games for us when he was a teenager, one of which he spent the vast majority playing out of position at right-back (despite us having a right back on the bench). Where aye he was completely torn to shreds by Billy King but until the Queens Park game last season it was probably the worst Falkirk performance I’d ever seen. No young boy was ever going to succeed in that Falkirk team. 

He’s now turned into a seemingly very component championship midfielder and we’ve certainly been signing a lot worse than him since we got relegated. You’re not going to get a star player every year from the academy but if you can get players like him, Kevin O’Hara even likes of Reis Peggie who’s doing alright at Kelty now in between your Sibbald, Kingsley, McGrandles etc.. that’s by no means a failure.

20 minutes ago, Russ said:

Cameron Blues started 2 league games for us when he was a teenager, one of which he spent the vast majority playing out of position at right-back (despite us having a right back on the bench). Where aye he was completely torn to shreds by Billy King but until the Queens Park game last season it was probably the worst Falkirk performance I’d ever seen. No young boy was ever going to succeed in that Falkirk team. 

He’s now turned into a seemingly very component championship midfielder and we’ve certainly been signing a lot worse than him since we got relegated. You’re not going to get a star player every year from the academy but if you can get players like him, Kevin O’Hara even likes of Reis Peggie who’s doing alright at Kelty now in between your Sibbald, Kingsley, McGrandles etc.. that’s by no means a failure.

It is a failure if it’s not producing players who are good enough for our first team. As Tony Begg has made very clear, that is the sole purpose of having an academy.

With all due respect, if the aim is to produce players of the standard of O’Hara, Blues or Peggie, there’s absolutely no point in having a youth system given that our aim is to eventually return to the premier league.

I’m pretty sure the team now leading the academy would not consider that a success either.

I don't remember a single person on here being up and arms when blues got released.  Saw him a few times for the dev teams and he never really looked anything other than bang average. Not particularly quick , not particularly athletic didn't score many goals and wasn't exactly Tom taiwo in the tackle either. Didn't seem to make much of an impression at ivi either. Back then though we were supposed to be looking for players that would win us the championship and replace the likes of vaulks and Alston and blues was never going to be good enough to do that. As it ended up we brought in a load of complete dross anyway . I'm sure if he was coming through now he'd be a regular for us at this level but that wasn't the case back then.

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He wasn’t at the same level as Sibbald, Kingsley or Fulton but you’ve picked the 3 best we’ve produced.

It’s evident that Blues has shown great resilience after leaving us and has bounced back and clearly worked hard and improved. Fair play to him.

You're right but that just emphasised that unless you have an exceptional player, the acedmy produced players will more often than not be sub standard.

Nothing against him but he was rightfully let go and it says more about us than him that he is at a level above us.

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

If an 800 stone Griffiths was rated highly enough to get a game out there then hopefully Wilson will have a chance of some success. Cant remember a player so bad being wished so well after leaving, speaks volumes about the guy and hopefully he does well

Think the goodwill was because he tried and never hid. If some of the sand dancers on the books put in the same effort he did we might be in a better position.

Nothing like a bit of trawling. If McGlynn and the hierarchy are serious about getting out this shiter of a league, I’d be hoping that every avenue is explored with players that can make a difference. Sibbs may be untouchable but if there’s a chance you never know…..maybe you’re happy to piss around this league for another season, if we can bridge a gap of 400K, a deal with the likes of Sibbs can’t be discounted.

If the guys in charge have serious ambitions of getting out this league, it’s guys like Sibbald will make a difference.