The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

If results continue as they have then he'll keep us in a playoff place. Which will be better anything that Gary Holt, Paul Sheerin and Martin Rennie managed to achieve.

Not necessarily- in my view we have benefited from a lot of the teams around us being just as inconsistent as us and freak results elsewhere. If an Airdrie or Montrose start to put a run together and we continue to drop so many points, we could easily end up in 6th.

Clearly there has been some improvement in performances but my standards haven’t yet dropped so low than winning less than half of games in league 1 is to be considered a positive.

No other team has or needs a squad of 25 players so your ‘over half’ stat is totally meaningless. It should be possibly to win over half of league 1 matches with 12 new signings plus the few decent players from last year.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

48 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

It should be possibly to win over half of league 1 matches with 12 new signings plus the few decent players from last year.

And yet Paul Sheerin didn't manage it, despite making 14 new signings before the transfer window closed.

(Ryan Williamson, Steven Hetherington, Brad McKay, Aidan Nesbitt, Craig McGuffie, Leon McCann, Sebastian Ross, Paddy Martin, Luke Holt, Jaime Wilson, Samuel Ompreon, Ernaldo Krasniqi, Michael Ruth, Declan McDaid.) I'm discounting the three youth players of Cammy Williamson, Mackenzie Lemon and Ben Weekes as they're equivalent to Lennon Walker, Scott Honeyman and Kyle Connolly. 

Sheerin played 16 League 1 games before he was sacked. He won 6. 

That’s not an attack on him. It’s simply pointing out that using the stats of previous managers to attack McGlynn doesn’t stack up.

Let’s see what the new year brings before jumping to conclusions.  

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

And yet Paul Sheerin didn't manage it, despite making 14 new signings before the transfer window closed.

(Ryan Williamson, Steven Hetherington, Brad McKay, Aidan Nesbitt, Craig McGuffie, Leon McCann, Sebastian Ross, Paddy Martin, Luke Holt, Jaime Wilson, Samuel Ompreon, Ernaldo Krasniqi, Michael Ruth, Declan McDaid.) I'm discounting the three youth players of Cammy Williamson, Mackenzie Lemon and Ben Weekes as they're equivalent to Lennon Walker, Scott Honeyman and Kyle Connolly. 

Sheerin played 16 League 1 games before he was sacked. He won 6. 

That’s not an attack on him. It’s simply pointing out that using the stats of previous managers to attack McGlynn doesn’t stack up.

Let’s see what the new year brings before jumping to conclusions.  

I’m not calling for Mcglynn to be sacked- I’m simply saying that if we continue with a win rate of less than 50%, I’d be looking at the options for next season.

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement in the new year. 

Statistics can be presented in different ways- according to Falkirk daft on Monday, if we fail to beat Alloa, Mcglynn will have a worse points record than Mackinnon when he was sacked.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

If results continue as they have then he'll keep us in a playoff place. Which will be better anything that Gary Holt, Paul Sheerin and Martin Rennie managed to achieve.

He has a squad of 25 players, excluding the four young boys who're projects for the future as shown by the fact that 3 of them are out on loan to non-league clubs. 

Of those 25, more than half of them - 13 - were here last season and delivered our worst ever league finish in my 42 years of watching the club. And whom almost everyone on here wanted punted ASAP. 

If he can improve our league position under those circumstances then IMO he deserves to get the second year of his contract. 

As for previous managers, PS was sacked after a 6-0 loss to Queens Park which I doubt any Falkirk manager could survive. And M&M went after performances fell off a cliff, with only three wins in ten league games. I drove up to their final game at Peterhead on a Tuesday night and sat shivering alone in an empty ground due to covid while watching as the blue toon played us off the park. Literally. We had no shots on target compared to their eight. That was happening almost every week. 

The performances under McGlynn aren't anywhere near that level. Let's leave him alone until the summer, see where we finish and take it from there. 

A squad of 25 seems very high for a League One club, there are some EPL clubs that don't have that many. 

That must be 8 or 9 Falkirk players sitting in the stand or walking round Tescos every Saturday afternoon, - can't be good for club morale?

22 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’m not calling for Mcglynn to be sacked- I’m simply saying that if we continue with a win rate of less than 50%, I’d be looking at the options for next season.

Statistics can be presented in different ways- according to Falkirk daft on Monday, if we fail to beat Alloa, Mcglynn will have a worse points record than Mackinnon when he was sacked.

We’ve become the “Woke” football club

14 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

A squad of 25 seems very high for a League One club, there are some EPL clubs that don't have that many. 

That must be 8 or 9 Falkirk players sitting in the stand or walking round Tescos every Saturday afternoon, - can't be good for club morale?

I have no idea about club morale, but if you consider Finlay Malcolm, Paddy Martin, Seb Ross, Blair Sneddon, Jaime Wilson, Paul Watson, PJ Morrison, Steven Hetherington & Finn yeats then we've had a lot of players who're either injured or not getting much gametime. 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Unfortunately I think it entirely possible that Alloa will beat us due to our poor form and defensive problems. If that happens and Dunfermline beat Airdrie then I don't see us competing for the league this season.

That being the case we should probably spend tens of thousands sacking McGlynn and doing eeny meeny miny moe to get a new guy in.

Guest Back Post Misses

I really don’t know what part of the dross Holt,  Sheerin and Rennie signed that dragged us to the worst league performance for 40 year some don’t get? They take up 60% of the playing budget and clearly must be on salaries that were:

1. Too expensive to pay off

2.Too rich that because of how shite most of them are no one else wanted them

So what could McGlynn do? He was given support to bring in about the same number he had and he has tried to improve those he had, with a mix of results. McCann is the big improver. Morrison, Nesbitt and McKay have done it in bits. Hetherington and McGuffie are no better. Williamson and Watson haven’t played due to injury. Ross, Wilson, Martin, Malcolm and Sneddon are just not the standard required.

Is it any wonder with half your pool being substandard (and probably a couple of your own signings not working out, which will always happen) you are going to be at best inconsistent?

What is vital IMO is we are able to get a few out now and bring in 3 or 4 in January to dilute the dross. If you could clear out the 5 who have not featured, Hetherington and MCGuffie then you should be able to get some in - even if it is loans. Priority for me are legs in midfield, right full back and a striker to give the two we have support and competition. 

The talk of moving McGlynn on after the hand he was dealt is ludicrous IMO unless we see an absolute collapse like the end of the last two seasons. Some can dismiss it but the damage created by Holt who was given such a free reign has been under estimated even by me. It was never going to be fully fixed, much as we all wanted it to be, in 4 months. The club has gone through hell as have we as supporters. We are still going to have a bit more patience. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I really don’t know what part of the dross Holt,  Sheerin and Rennie signed that dragged us to the worst league performance for 40 year some don’t get? They take up 60% of the playing budget and clearly must be on salaries that were:

So what could McGlynn do? He was given support to bring in about the same number he had and he has tried to improve those he had, with a mix of results. McCann is the big improver. Morrison, Nesbitt and McKay have done it in bits. Hetherington and McGuffie are no better. Williamson and Watson haven’t played due to injury. Ross, Wilson, Martin, Malcolm and Sneddon are just not the standard required.

Is it any wonder with half your pool being substandard (and probably a couple of your own signings not working out, which will always happen) you are going to be at best inconsistent?

What is vital IMO is we are able to get a few out now and bring in 3 or 4 in January to dilute the dross. If you could clear out the 5 who have not featured, Hetherington and MCGuffie then you should be able to get some in - even if it is loans. Priority for me are legs in midfield, right full back and a striker to give the two we have support and competition. 

The talk of moving McGlynn on after the hand he was dealt is ludicrous IMO unless we see an absolute collapse like the end of the last two seasons. Some can dismiss it but the damage created by Holt who was given such a free reign has been under estimated even by me. It was never going to be fully fixed, much as we all wanted it to be, in 4 months. The club has gone through hell as have we as supporters. We are still going to have a bit more patience. 

Balanced assessment 👍

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Some can dismiss it but the damage created by Holt who was given such a free reign has been under estimated even by me. 

Free reign? Weren't you the guy saying the Board should have no say in the players being signed?  Suited your argument when it came to Goodwillie but now you seem to be suggesting that the board should have put a reign on Holt.

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

Free reign? Weren't you the guy saying the Board should have no say in the players being signed?  Suited your argument when it came to Goodwillie but now you seem to be suggesting that the board should have put a reign on Holt.

Well, that surely depends on your interpretation? He's not saying that Holt shouldn't have been given free reign, just that he made a ripping roaring c**t of it when he was. Plus, it was Holt's job to identify players and put those recommendations to the manager(s) so it would appear that they should share the blame. 

As a Sporting Director, he was that experienced head that was supposed to be the balance twixt manager and Board.

That he was pretty much a dud in that role has taken us to where we are. I don’t know about free rein (it’s a horsey thing, not a royalty thing), then in terms of signings, you would expect between the Sporting Director and Manager, the right players would be signed on the right terms for a justifiable length of time. Standard stuff.

Hiring Holt was of course, just another Deans Board clusterfuck.

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think we can all agree Holt’s disastrous signings have been a massive hindrance. However, Mcglynn has been backed to bring in 12 signings, you also have McCann, Morrison plus Nesbitt (who he has voluntarily played every week). So, for me, you can’t just absolve him of all responsibility and blame Gary Holt.

If the board’s view is that this season is effectively a write off due to Holt’s signings, then I’m struggling to see: 1. What the point of the 12 signings is meant to be, 2. Why additional funds were provided and 3. Why very little attempt seems to have been made to shift any of them.

McGlynn and Smith knew the parameters of the job when they were hired. Ergo they believed they could get a tune out of those that were here already. 

Re Holt and even a stopped clock is correct twice-a-day - paraphrasing but he was correct in that if we do the same as before we'll get the same again.

In our case we desperately need stability and only time will tell if the decision to keep the majority was correct. In my view, the squad can easily be classified into distinct groups: Past, present and potential future.

As much as we want to be title contenders, I think at this stage being the best of the rest is about the capability of this squad - in that case McGlynn will have maximised the capabilities of this group and be given the remainder of his contract to exceed that.

6 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think we can all agree Holt’s disastrous signings have been a massive hindrance. However, Mcglynn has been backed to bring in 12 signings, you also have McCann, Morrison plus Nesbitt (who he has voluntarily played every week). So, for me, you can’t just absolve him of all responsibility and blame Gary Holt.

If the board’s view is that this season is effectively a write off due to Holt’s signings, then I’m struggling to see: 1. What the point of the 12 signings is meant to be, 2. Why additional funds were provided and 3. Why very little attempt seems to have been made to shift any of them.

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Your last point is simply ridiculous.

You can only shift them on if another team want them and are prepared to pay the players the wages that they require.

Hardly surprising that no other teams are as stupid / gullible to take on these overpaid imposters.

The only other alternative is to pay off their contracts which would get them out the door but would use the money that would be needed to fund new signings.