The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

Genuine question here - what is the threshold of players that JM needs to sign for this to become HIS squad? I think we can agree that very few managers will ever have a squad made up entirely of their own signings.

McGlynn has signed more players than Holt/Sheerin and indeed many of those who were here before his arrival have kept McGlynn signings out of the team.

Also your post seems to suggest that McGlynn should get a 'free pass' until he has HIS squad.  So regardless of how this season finishes McGlynn should be the manager next season?  I don't remember the same goodwill extended to other managers who inherited bad squads.

It was mentioned before that around 60% of his budget was tied up in the existing squad he inherited so I think it's fair to say it won't really be his squad until next summer or if he by some miracle manages to rid a few of the players in January.

Goalkeeper 
PJ Morrison
Paddy Martin
Nicky Hogarth

Defenders
Blair Sneddon
Ryan Williamson
Brad Mckay
Leon McCann
Paul Watson

Liam Henderson
Coll Donaldson
Sean Mackie

Midfielders
Stephen Mcginn
Callumn Morrison
Steven Hetherington
Aidan Nesbitt
Craig Mcguffie
Seb Ross

Finn Yeats
Pearse Carroll
Lennon Walker
Scott Honeyman
Kai Kennedy
Ola Lawal

Strikers
Rumarn Burrell
Gary Oliver
Juan Alegria
Jaime Wilson
Finlay Malcolm

Kyle Connolly

7 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It was mentioned before that around 60% of his budget was tied up in the existing squad he inherited so I think it's fair to say it won't really be his squad until next summer or if he by some miracle manages to rid a few of the players in January.

Goalkeeper 
PJ Morrison
Paddy Martin
Nicky Hogarth

Defenders
Blair Sneddon
Ryan Williamson
Brad Mckay
Leon McCann
Paul Watson

Liam Henderson
Coll Donaldson
Sean Mackie

Midfielders
Stephen Mcginn
Callumn Morrison
Steven Hetherington
Aidan Nesbitt
Craig Mcguffie
Seb Ross

Finn Yeats
Pearse Carroll
Lennon Walker
Scott Honeyman
Kai Kennedy
Ola Lawal

Strikers
Rumarn Burrell
Gary Oliver
Juan Alegria
Jaime Wilson
Finlay Malcolm

Kyle Connolly

Out of that list of players that aren’t McGlynn’s, I would only really want to keep Leon McCann going into next season.

31 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Out of that list of players that aren’t McGlynn’s, I would only really want to keep Leon McCann going into next season.

27 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I would also keep Watson assuming he fully recovers from his injury.

I would keep Watson providing we can punt McKay (which is unlikely) as I don't think we can afford to have 5 CDs on the books when the cash will be needed elsewhere.

I'd probably keep Morrison too. He likes to frustrate but, on his day, he's valuable. When he performs the team tends to. 

51 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’d be wanting to see significantly more from him before making that decision. As was pointed out on Falkirk Daft last night, our previous managers have all been punted with very similar points records to Mcglynn so far, never mind given contract extensions.

He has been given the opportunity to bring in a significant number of players yet we have won less than half of our games in league 1. Nothing there yet to suggest he should be given an extension for me- hopefully that will change over the second half of the season.

So, what would 'significantly more' look like?

Admittedly we've gone off the boil in very recent games however I think he's generally got us playing better football and, as I say, there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel that hasn't been there for a while. Bearing in mind that I did say 'as things stand' do you think that, if nothing changes and we finish where we are, he should be kept on or punted? Or should he only be kept on if we win the league? 

52 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I would also keep Watson assuming he fully recovers from his injury.

For me Watson would have the next 6 months to prove himself as we don't know what he's going to be like coming back from his injury. Quite happily get rid of the rest barring Morrison & Mccann and I reckon McGlynn probably would have too if he could. 

With the current squad for me our stongest 11 is the below, obviously in McGlynn's formation as that's not going to change. McGinn's looked off it lately so we need the legs of Yeats in there so he can focus on dictating the game. Lawal's got to get game time as he's a game changer. Alegria has to start when we're playing with just the one upfront as Burrell's not capable of holding the ball in.

Morrison
Mckay Donaldson Henderson Mccann
McGinn
Morrison Yeats Lawal Kennedy
Alegria

31 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So, what would 'significantly more' look like?

Admittedly we've gone off the boil in very recent games however I think he's generally got us playing better football and, as I say, there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel that hasn't been there for a while. Bearing in mind that I did say 'as things stand' do you think that, if nothing changes and we finish where we are, he should be kept on or punted? Or should he only be kept on if we win the league? 

I would want to see a win rate better than 8 from 17. That for me simply isn’t good enough for any team hoping to gain promotion.

You say we’ve gone off the boil “in recent weeks” but actually we’ve struggled to put a run of wins together at any point of the season and there have been a good number of poor results and performances.

In my view it would be grossly irresponsible to offer an extension based solely on what we’ve seen so far. It may well be that there’s an improvement over the second half of the season (hopefully there is) but I just can’t see a strong argument for giving him another season at this stage when previous managers have been sacked with a better or similar points record.

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

What would be quite nice from the club, if they were to post online various strip designs from O'Neills and let the fans choose by a vote.  Particularly since we can get a bespoke strip. Maybe even get some designs from the fans in :)

Better that than have one (or two) at the club deciding ! 

Or even better, make this type of thing a perk of FSS membership.  A good way to drive up numbers. 

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I’d be wanting to see significantly more from him before making that decision. As was pointed out on Falkirk Daft last night, our previous managers have all been punted with very similar points records to Mcglynn so far, never mind given contract extensions.

He has been given the opportunity to bring in a significant number of players yet we have won less than half of our games in league 1. Nothing there yet to suggest he should be given an extension for me- hopefully that will change over the second half of the season.

What is the terms with M&S ? Was it a two year deal or one?

28 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I would want to see a win rate better than 8 from 17. That for me simply isn’t good enough for any team hoping to gain promotion.

You say we’ve gone off the boil “in recent weeks” but actually we’ve struggled to put a run of wins together at any point of the season and there have been a good number of poor results and performances.

In my view it would be grossly irresponsible to offer an extension based solely on what we’ve seen so far. It may well be that there’s an improvement over the second half of the season (hopefully there is) but I just can’t see a strong argument for giving him another season at this stage when previous managers have been sacked with a better or similar points record.

So payout the remaining year of his contract with what and replace him with who ?

Are you forgetting that we are now an established 3rd tier club without a pot to piss in ?

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So payout the remaining year of his contract with what and replace him with who ?

Are you forgetting that we are now an established 3rd tier club without a pot to piss in ?

I obviously wouldn’t be paying him off at this stage- my response was to the argument that he’s already ‘earned another season’.

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement over the second half of the season but I would seriously be looking at options if this doesn’t happen.

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I noticed that the club mentioned retro kits in their news release.

Perhaps it would be a more appropriate idea to run a poll of which oldie kits the fans would like the club to stock.

For me it would be early 70’s with white under sleeve panels, late 70’s Bukta (home and away) and early 80’s Patrick.

The Patrick strip was lovely, really plain. Throw the yellow Bukta strip into the mix as well and you have my vote.

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I obviously wouldn’t be paying him off at this stage- my response was to the argument that he’s already ‘earned another season’.

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement over the second half of the season but I would seriously be looking at options if this doesn’t happen.

I think if we don’t improve by the end of the season we would be better sticking with McGlynn and giving him the finances to get a squad predominantly of his players. We get rid of him and Smith and we are back to square one, a new management team comes in and they are left with a large amount of the squad being players they haven’t signed. We just can’t keep repeating this mistake, it hasn’t worked for us so far. At some point we’re going to have to keep the faith in a manager.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think if we don’t improve by the end of the season we would be better sticking with McGlynn and giving him the finances to get a squad predominantly of his players. We get rid of him and Smith and we are back to square one, a new management team comes in and they are left with a large amount of the squad being players they haven’t signed. We just can’t keep repeating this mistake, it hasn’t worked for us so far. At some point we’re going to have to keep the faith in a manager.

Agree I believe he is probably the best manager in the league , chopping & changing hasn’t worked for us so give him time to make a go of it .

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

The Patrick strip was lovely, really plain. Throw the yellow Bukta strip into the mix as well and you have my vote.

The Patrick strip was fantastic, and it was the 1st one I owned. The shorts were ok but the red socks were superb. They had red/white turnovers and the Patrick logo on the outside.