The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I'd be happy enough if he managed to move some of McKay, Watson, Henderson, Mackie, Hetherington, Nesbitt, Oliver, McGuffie, Malcolm, Wilson, and Ross on if he can get better in. I also wouldn't be too bothered if he sent Kennedy back to Sevco and he really should be sending Hogarth back to Forest now that PJ is fit.

A top coach/manager gets the best out of & improves average players.

For example Bielsa at Leeds took a team that finished 14th in the Championship, won it by a good distance, and finished 9th in EPL all with the same players he inherited. Kalvin Philips was on his way out of Leeds when Bielsa arrived, now he plays for Man Citeh and England.    

Not comparing McGlynn to Bielsa, and not saying JM isn't a good coach but it's all relative - and I'd hoped he'd have done better with some of these players that were here when he came.   

I think McGlynn is as safe as any current manager. Win the league = massive over achievement. Make the play offs, and go up = stretch target achieved. Make the play offs but don’t go up = he took this squad as far as he could, as it included too many players he didn’t want.

Fail to make the play offs = unbelievably disappointing, but he was managing with one hand tied behind his back because of the duffers he inherited. Can only be judged on next season’s results.

2 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

A top coach/manager gets the best out of & improves average players.

For example Bielsa at Leeds took a team that finished 14th in the Championship, won it by a good distance, and finished 9th in EPL all with the same players he inherited. Kalvin Philips was on his way out of Leeds when Bielsa arrived, now he plays for Man Citeh and England.    

Not comparing McGlynn to Bielsa, and not saying JM isn't a good coach but it's all relative - and I'd hoped he'd have done better with some of these players that were here when he came.   

This.

Likewise, Steve Cooper at Nottingham Forest took over a team at the bottom of the Championship in September and got them promoted.

10 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Unfortunately for Williamson his time as a professional footballer must be close to an end.

If he were a horse he would have been dog food months ago.

Come to an agreement to release him in January.

Agree, however it’s unlikely he would take anything but full wages if released. Remember a PT fan warning about his fitness.

No recognised CB pairing for Alloa game, looking like McKay Mackie with Yeats McCann either side.

37 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Agree, however it’s unlikely he would take anything but full wages if released. Remember a PT fan warning about his fitness.

No recognised CB pairing for Alloa game, looking like McKay Mackie with Yeats McCann either side.

The same back line that we had against hibs in the league cup.

Guest Back Post Misses
11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Behave. It was a clear penalty.

I agree. Heard quite a few who were there saying it was soft but watching on TV it was very clear he clipped the Dundee player 

14 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

You must not have read the last 10 pages then 😂

One poster dragging out Holt's name on repeat

The buck simply falls on McGlynn for team selection on Thursday not who signed the players.

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think McGlynn is as safe as any current manager. Win the league = massive over achievement. Make the play offs, and go up = stretch target achieved. Make the play offs but don’t go up = he took this squad as far as he could, as it included too many players he didn’t want.

Fail to make the play offs = unbelievably disappointing, but he was managing with one hand tied behind his back because of the duffers he inherited. Can only be judged on next season’s results.

McGlynn has signed an 11 of his own, bar a right back and one wide midfielder.

The problem lay on Thursday when he reverted back to selecting three of the can't fight out a paper bag in midfield when he didn't need to.

A lot of our downfalls this season has been down to McGlynn's team selection.

McCann at right back being the stand out one. 

We are night and day compared to last season but we still can be Jekyll n Hyde

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What is Williamsons injury ?

Didn't McGlynn say it's not the previous injury but in the same area 😉

I think in the best interests would be to get him off the wage bill, he won't feature much if at all and this surely is his last F/T gig. 

4 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I'm very much conflicted on the Williamson situation. On the purely practical side, he is clearly taking a place in the squad with a wage we aren't getting full value for money for. If he was to go, I've no doubt that wage could be used to get another valuable member of the squad in, which would be incredibly useful given the situation we are in. Where I do struggle a bit is we don't have a clue what the injury is. Is it physical or mental? The club do have a duty of care as an employer. I'd like to stress I have got absolutely no idea on the boy's situation so it is purely speculation, but say for discussions sake, it was mental health - we're in a day and age of employers supposed to be being more understanding of these situations. It's not anyone's fault, and the world is a pretty grim place if you're just going to punt people without a thought of their situation. Even if it is physical injury, he's not asking to be injured all the time. By all means, don't renew his contract at the end of the season - that's totally legitimate - but a few of the comments I've seen have been a wee bit mean-spirited and not really necessary. The fact McGlynn is always very tight-lipped about him would suggest to me there is something more going on there, but as I said, I've got no idea. Just my thoughts.

Had similar thoughts about what’s going on. Sure he’s just become a father, as said hope he’s getting the proper support.

40 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Had similar thoughts about what’s going on. Sure he’s just become a father, as said hope he’s getting the proper support.

Nothing at all against the lad personally, comes across well when interviewed but his injury record is horrific and seems to be getting worse.

Quite right that a duty of care is due by the club as his employer but his situation appears chronic and if it is at all possible to reach an agreement to terminate his contract then that would be in the clubs best interest.

Should it be, as some have speculated here, mental health issues then that is a different issue altogether and appropriate support should be given.