The Falkirk FC Thread

McGlynn isn't Guardiola, but he's an experienced, steady hand in a league in which we've appointed a succession of folk doing their work experience.

We beat the 'easier' teams in the league fairly regularly. That isn't something we've done for a few years.

It's worrying we seem to bottle most of the 'bigger' games.

But realistically I think he's a solid appointment. Folk seem to think how dreadful we've been over the past few seasons. It's not something that can possibly be turned around within a few months.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I actually though at HT he should have gone to 3 at the back. Moved Yeats to RWB and push both full backs on and brought on the extra striker. Was crying out to stretch them wide and they were offering so little going forward it didn’t matter playing three at the back. We would have got overloads down the side and in behind them 

I agree with this. From the first 10 minutes it was obvious Dunfermline weren't coming to have a go. From there in it was who could be the stuffiest, this is their strength. We should have played to our strength and had more of a go. Should have been changed much much earlier. Burrell was too isolated. With such a massive home crowd we should have been trying to entertain more too, it was an awful spectacle. Mcglynns tactics not great. Opportunity missed I'm afraid 

Also concerned about the zonal corner marking strategy which seriously failed in a massive game. Two yard unmarked tap in.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

10 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Is there a chance we’ve bigged up McGlynn as a much better manager than he is? He was a sound enough appointment but it’s not like he was in high demand and the way he gets talked about sometimes makes him seem infallible. 

No doubt he is better than Sheerin but we’re only 2 points better off than this time last year. 

Not saying we shouldn’t back him but the expectation doesn’t quite match up to his accomplishments as a manager.

That’s now 6 points out of the last 4 home matches. Don’t care who’s in charge but that’s not good enough. We’ll never get out of this league if we consistently drop points in matches like this. 

2 points better off with half the team not his. The football, on the whole, has been much better. Think of the turn around in players we had last year, Nesbitt, McKay etc. He is the man.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:
2 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
Mcglynn is as good an appointment as you'll get in League 1, let's be honest.

Except from Mcpake, of course.

On paper I agree and won’t say it was a bad appointment but he does have to prove the worth he’s held by others as so far he hasn’t got the better of rookie managers McPake, McCabe and Potter.

Also failed to get the better of Petrie, and Alan Maybury has his Edinburgh team further up the table than us. 

Just think he needs to start being questioned a bit more about the continual errors he’s making when we play against these teams. Need far better than 6 points in 8 matches vs Dunfermline, Kelty, Montrose, Airdrie and Edinburgh if we have any chance of getting promotion. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

2 points better off with half the team not his. The football, on the whole, has been much better. Think of the turn around in players we had last year, Nesbitt, McKay etc. He is the man.

I understand that’s hampered him but that’s always the case with most managers. Without checking I’m confident most of the teams performing better than us will have several of the previous seasons squad to contend with. Could also say half of Sheerin’s team wasn’t his too- Gary Miller, Morrison, Dixon and Telfer. 

Anyway I’m not with the love in for McGlynn however satisfied I was with his appointment. Happy for others to be more positive but for me, he needs to start delivering where it matters. 

The pace of our play on Saturday was far too slow and we seemed to revert from quick breaks and playing down the wings to hoofball for some reason.  The amount of times we punted it long to Burrell had to be tactical rather than frustration.  

Lawal surely has to be given a chance soon and agree we need to start more games with 2 up top.  The drawback of doing that is the only attacking option to then bring on is Jaime Wilson...

3 hours ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

After Saturday I wouldn't be fussed about seeing Kennedy playing for us again. Looked like he wanted to be the hero which then lead to indecision and losing the chance on a couple of occasions. 

He'll be at Open Goal Broomhill within 3 or 4 years based on what I've seen. The red tops would have had you believing two years ago that he'd been a huge player for us.  He flatters to deceive a lot of the time. 

I think the game was up as soon as McGlynn had Nesbitt, McGuffie and Morrison on the park at the same time. That’s just same old same old that we know doesn’t work.

It’s not a negative on McGlynn, but we are the oft mentioned three players shy of being genuine contenders, and in all honesty, it might already be too late.

Next Saturday is something like our 18th attempt to beat someone above us in the league. Bottle it next week, and we are well and truly done.

Guest Caractacus Potts
14 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think the game was up as soon as McGlynn had Nesbitt, McGuffie and Morrison on the park at the same time. That’s just same old same old that we know doesn’t work.

It’s not a negative on McGlynn, but we are the oft mentioned three players shy of being genuine contenders, and in all honesty, it might already be too late.

Next Saturday is something like our 18th attempt to beat someone above us in the league. Bottle it next week, and we are well and truly done.

Thing is Mackie in for McCann, Lawal in for Morrison, Alegria in for Nesbit and Oliver in for McKay and that’s a a full McGlynn team. He’s not forced in to playing those who were there last year. 

He has been able to bring in a decent amount of players so should be able to have enough at his disposal to compete with the likes of a Dunfermline or Kelty. 

The ones he’s really hampered with are  Seb Ross, Finlay Malcolm, Blair Sneddon and Jaime Wilson as none have proven their worth even as squad players. To me that doesn’t excuse McGlynn from not being able to beat these teams.

I just think he has to start being questioned more than excused. He knew the job and even got an extra £150k of a budget to bring in more players. I doubt he’ll have any resources in January so unless we can get a couple of free loans then what we have should be enough to get the job done.  

Edited by Caractacus Potts

5 hours ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

After Saturday I wouldn't be fussed about seeing Kennedy playing for us again. Looked like he wanted to be the hero which then lead to indecision and losing the chance on a couple of occasions. 

I think that's a bit of a mental statement given near enough every single one of our midfielders & attackers didn't turn up on Saturday. I was more annoyed at Morrison who never beat a man all day, had Joe Chalmers faced up near the end of the game and instead of hitting the byline and getting his cross in he just blasted it off Chalmers for our upteenth corner of the game. 

Even McGinn looks to be the one who didn't bother to mark a man for their goal. 

Im afraid I don't see how you prevent it though.

Surely, the best way to rid this out would be for the club supporters signing these offensive songs is for decent fans to call it out and boo, jeer, whistle.

I think it could be self policed but it has to start from the supporters from both clubs singling out their own fans and make sure the perpetrators are aware that it’s not acceptable and not to be tolerated.

From a Falkirk prospective. I think we need some new songs for fans to sign, maybe then it wouldn’t have been so quiet on Saturday[emoji23][emoji23]

Mcglynn is no miracle worker at the end of the day. With 60 odd percent of his budget already taken up before he arrived on the scene and most of that with pure dross. You won't find many other managers at this level having to put up with crap on 3 year deals . I'm sure if nesbitt, Mackay, mcguffie, Morrison, McCann, Ross, hetherington, Wilson, sneddon and Malcolm had been out of contract they would all have been shown the door in the summer.  Now a few have managed to probably change his mind but the majority are taking up wages for absolutely nothing. Mcpake will have a bigger budget to work with for a start and Dunfermline are only coming off one shite season not 3 in a row. We were never going to go from utter dross to runaway leaders in one window in these circumstances. 

Got to say guys but your manager and assistant have there heart in Kirkcaldy. You can talk about who is the biggest team ,for between us but you will never get over the mighty raith fucking you in the Scottish cup. If we managed to be paired.Again than I am sure that we would goose you by at least 3 goals and by the scum by at least 5 goals ,PS I hope Airdrie win the league

22 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn is no miracle worker at the end of the day. With 60 odd percent of his budget already taken up before he arrived on the scene and most of that with pure dross. You won't find many other managers at this level having to put up with crap on 3 year deals . I'm sure if nesbitt, Mackay, mcguffie, Morrison, McCann, Ross, hetherington, Wilson, sneddon and Malcolm had been out of contract they would all have been shown the door in the summer.  Now a few have managed to probably change his mind but the majority are taking up wages for absolutely nothing. Mcpake will have a bigger budget to work with for a start and Dunfermline are only coming off one shite season not 3 in a row. We were never going to go from utter dross to runaway leaders in one window in these circumstances. 

Why will McPake have a bigger budget? As a club Dunfermline will have had a bigger turnover recently but Falkirk have openly said they're running at a 600k? Deficit. 

Likewise McPake has brought in less players, and as such is dealing with the dross that got us relegated last year. 

If McGlynn wants to spend his budget on the likes of Oliver and Kennedy then it's on him. 

Minter 🤣

14 minutes ago, Malay Robertsons Shorts said:

Got to say guys but your manager and assistant have there heart in Kirkcaldy. You can talk about who is the biggest team ,for between us but you will never get over the mighty raith fucking you in the Scottish cup. If we managed to be paired.Again than I am sure that we would goose you by at least 3 goals and by the scum by at least 5 goals ,PS I hope Airdrie win the league