The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, JB22 said:

I couldn’t help but think of the people that turned up yesterday on a one-off occasion being subjected to some pretty cancerous, neanderthal behaviour from a small portion of our fans. Without an already, deep-rooted love for the club, I don’t see they would return - I certainly wouldn’t.

Good post, there are plenty of these fucking idiots on both sides especially so for these games, I guess the only thing you could do is a quiet word with a steward but there is no point you making a scene when there are loads of folk joining in. 

Good guys triumph in the end and I hope folk think about how they carried on and cringe in time.

We park Saturday, and no doubt there’s been a few heated words. Watched the managers interview again and he’s one almighty pissed off guy.

Excluding Wick/Dundee, we have - Edinburgh H - Clyde A - Airdrie H - Alloa A - QOS H.

That completes year end.

Januarys fixtures:

Them - A  Montrose H - Clyde H Edinburgh A.

There’s going to be several twists no doubt, but we need to start winning all games. Tall order and just hoping M&S can pull off something in the transfer window.

On 05/11/2022 at 18:20, AGPar said:

And, like the mugs we are, we played right into their hands with an utterly predictable, gutless, identikit shit-the-bed in an important home game in front of a big crowd performance and a "game plan" that started and ended with long, aimless, hoofed diagonals in the vague direction of a hopelessly isolated Burrell. Their defence must have been laughing at us. They would not have required a shower after the match.

I could not give a toss how Dunfermline how set up when our deficiencies are myriad and glaring. We were not flat-track bullying a Clyde or Peterhead today so most of our team reverted to type and simply vanished for the entirety of the ninety minutes. McCann one of the few exceptions. That performance was truly pitiful. Pathetic stuff. We never change.

I think we were set up “not to lose” just as much as DA did.Baffled that anyone considered Nesbitt as one of our better performers. Lots of energy, lots of buzzing around, but completely ineffective.

Burrell looked miles ahead of any other forward on the pitch, and given the right service, would have eaten Benedictus for breakfast, but no service was forthcoming.

McGlynn can seethe as much as he likes, but at no stage in the first 80 minutes did he we control the game or have the upper hand. As far as I could see, the players simply seemed to be following a pretty timid game plan.

The ref allowed DA to referee the game in the second half, and while “fall down and hold your head” was clearly a tactic by DA to waste time and stall the game, it didn’t help having a weak ref allowing it to happen. It probably wouldn’t have made any difference if he had intervened tbh.

Interesting that the ref gave a foul for a handball that he couldn’t possibly see, and turned down the two that he did see.

At the end of the day, we got what we deserved yet again in front of great crowd.

57 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Watched the managers interview again and he’s one almighty pissed off guy.

And the first person he should be almighty pissed off with is himself. He's the manager. Responsibility for that car crash of a 90 minutes ultimately rests with him. That's the deal. Biggest budget in the league but it's simply not being reflected in terms of results, performances or league position. The "aye, but last season" chat is wearing thin. In the context of a season in which promotion is a financial imperative, an absolute must, 4 league defeats, 2 consecutive at home and seven points adrift by early November is nowhere good enough. 

Nobody thinks they're a great watch, but Dunfermline are resilient, organised, they give up very little, they can dig out an ugly 1-0, all the kinds of things I thought, maybe even hoped McGlynn might be able to imbue in us, but we're still as soft as ever, weak as ever, zero on-field leadership, far too many players still not wanting to know at the first sign of things getting a little bit tough and just thinking about the next time they get to play Peterhead and can again delude themselves into believing they're world-beaters. Players obviously take a lot of the blame for that, and McGlynn's inheritance was not a favourable one, but adding the likes of Kennedy to the final third options isn't going to change anything in that respect. The mentality, the mindset, spirit, fight, call it whatever, required for a promotion-winning campaign just is not there, unless McGlynn can change that (and perhaps that's miracle territory) I don't see us doing much more than top four and standard bottle job in the play-off.

Quick question. There was a flag that flew above the hope street turnstiles in front of the police observation box. Was it just a saltire or was it a saltire with Falkirk related typeface on it? I cannot find any photos of the flag unfurled.
I’m doing a wee illustration and was looking to add it in.

Got to agree with the statements about the conduct of our fans. Throwing cups of juice at pensioners, spitting down on fans from the back of the stand and trying to break seats in our own stadium. Don’t think the day trippers will be missed next week tbh.

As for the game, we could’ve played all day and not scored. You can see why those c***s don’t lose many but we were disappointing.

41 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Quick question. There was a flag that flew above the hope street turnstiles in front of the police observation box. Was it just a saltire or was it a saltire with Falkirk related typeface on it? I cannot find any photos of the flag unfurled.
I’m doing a wee illustration and was looking to add it in.

It was usually a saltire from a league championship winning season. It was put up on match days and taken down after the game

14 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Falkirk fans talking about "good" football vs McPake's more pragmatic approach would have probably been fair comment after the game at EEP but after yesterday's game? Unless passing it between your centre halves then hoofing a long diagonal in the general direction of Burrell is something from the Guardiola handbook I can't see it. The fact that we had more shots on target suggests that we were more attacking than some would give credit for, although clearly one was the goal and one was after we scored.

Did we slow the game down, stay down after fouls and try to disruption Falkirk's rhythm? Absolutely. But dive, feign injury, pull shirts all the time? No, no and not any more than Falkirk did. Like I said on the match thread, the only real clanger the referee had was not booking Nisbett for the blatant shirt pull where he nearly had the shirt off the guys back at the neck yet the referee gave the foul but not the card. Benedictus should have been penalised for a strong shoulder/barge down the touchline too but the referee certainly didn't give Dunfermline everything as has been claimed. 

I still think Falkirk will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but the worry for you guys will be if that is the sort of performance you put in if you get into a play off final or something. We know a thing or two about messing up play off games in front of big crowds and it's not a nice feeling at all.

Been there done that.

12 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Got to agree with the statements about the conduct of our fans. Throwing cups of juice at pensioners, spitting down on fans from the back of the stand and trying to break seats in our own stadium. Don’t think the day trippers will be missed next week tbh.

As for the game, we could’ve played all day and not scored. You can see why those c***s don’t lose many but we were disappointing.

I got hit on the back of the head with a pie before the game,i didn't even bother turning round as it was not a nice atmosphere,

I think even mcglynn got caught out by how negative Dunfermline were. He set up for a more open game which was what most of us were expecting I suppose. Can't remember a game between the two sides where one team has played like that through choice and not through being forced to as one of the sides was so much better than the other one. Most games between the sides over the years have been end to end stuff. It meant burrell being isolated as our midfielders couldn't find any space. To support him.  Two up top should've been the move a lot earlier but was too late in the game when we went to that  unfortunately.  

Guest FFC1965

Saturday's game and result reminded me of the games that we used to win narrowly under Peter Houston.  Nullify the opposition attacking threats and take a chance when it comes along.  I don't think we can have any complaints - after about 30 mins the game stopped happening in the DAFC half.   Our two best players this season imho in McGinn & Yeats had stinkers on Saturday which didn't help.  Only Burrell and McCann got pass marks.  

All is not lost though - for a couple of seasons I've believed that aside from the strugglers in L1 like Clyde & P'head there isnt a massive difference in quality between the Championship & League 1 teams.   QPFC got 51 points last season and won promotion through the playoffs and are currently closer to the top than the bottom.  We're on track for over 60 points.  

I suspect that we'll see a transition fairly soon to a Hard XI [Edit - maybe more accurately a "If you're not either hard or tall then you're out" XI] - so we'll see Lawal get a chance, perhaps Alegria & Burrell together, maybe Mackie (though not on the bench Saturday) - Watson too in due course.  As a result we'll see less of the likes of McGuffie, Kennedy, Oliver, Nesbitt & Morrison.    

If we did get to the playoffs (and I think we will finish 2nd) I could see McGlynn increasingly adopting similar tactics as DAFC on Saturday.     

Edited by FFC1965

Guest Caractacus Potts

Is there a chance we’ve bigged up McGlynn as a much better manager than he is? He was a sound enough appointment but it’s not like he was in high demand and the way he gets talked about sometimes makes him seem infallible. 

No doubt he is better than Sheerin but we’re only 2 points better off than this time last year. 

Not saying we shouldn’t back him but the expectation doesn’t quite match up to his accomplishments as a manager.

That’s now 6 points out of the last 4 home matches. Don’t care who’s in charge but that’s not good enough. We’ll never get out of this league if we consistently drop points in matches like this. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Is there a chance we’ve bigged up McGlynn as a much better manager than he is? He was a sound enough appointment but it’s not like he was in high demand and the way he gets talked about sometimes makes him seem infallible. 

No doubt he is better than Sheerin but we’re only 2 points better off than this time last year. 

Not saying we shouldn’t back him but the expectation doesn’t quite match up to his accomplishments as a manager.

That’s now 6 points out of the last 4 home matches. Don’t care who’s in charge but that’s not good enough. We’ll never get out of this league if we consistently drop points in matches like this. 

I think some saw McGlynn as being more than his CV, but I don’t think the appointment was a mistake. It’s come at an unwanted price, but he kind of has steadied the ship (even if the numbers don’t back it up).

Only being 2 points better off than Sheerin was at this stage isn’t great, but it was about now that the wheels came off completely for Sheerin. I can’t really see us losing our next two (but yes, we are capable of it). McGlynn really does need to start pulling away from last season’s stats.

Guest Caractacus Potts
24 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think some saw McGlynn as being more than his CV, but I don’t think the appointment was a mistake. It’s come at an unwanted price, but he kind of has steadied the ship (even if the numbers don’t back it up).

Only being 2 points better off than Sheerin was at this stage isn’t great, but it was about now that the wheels came off completely for Sheerin. I can’t really see us losing our next two (but yes, we are capable of it). McGlynn really does need to start pulling away from last season’s stats.

Definitely wasn’t a mistake to appoint him but I do find it slightly bewildering the way he’s talked up at times as pretty sure he wouldn’t have been on anyone’s minds 2 years ago. 

Anyway I do think there is progress and I’m sure he’ll manage to keep us in the mix for promotion however it’s not just an isolated match where we’ve failed to come up with answers to stuffy/physical opponents. 

He needs to find an answer to these types of games soon. 

Definitely wasn’t a mistake to appoint him but I do find it slightly bewildering the way he’s talked up at times as pretty sure he wouldn’t have been on anyone’s minds 2 years ago. 
Anyway I do think there is progress and I’m sure he’ll manage to keep us in the mix for promotion however it’s not just an isolated match where we’ve failed to come up with answers to stuffy/physical opponents. 
I agree with you for the most part here.

I think its at least a bit impressive what he has gotten out of some of last seasons underperformers, and indeed folk like Alegria who others couldn't wait to tell us was absolute shite. It's certainly more than anyone of us here predicted he would get.

Indeed most if not all of us probably predicted promotion wasn't really on the table and we would do well to get playoffs.

Nothing settled yet clearly, but I'd be stunned if we weren't in the playoffs.

The bad though is that I think the title is away already and I would be equally stunned to see us close that gap. McGlynn gave the players an out yesterday. His refusal to encourage risk taking allowed them to hide and stroke the ball about, which they duly did. He got it wrong and thats the most costly loss of all.

Iv already said that the "but theres twists and turns to come" school of thought is ignoring all the available facts. Saturday just cemented that for me. As things stand, without some injuries stretching their squad, the gap is only going one way.

Doesn’t matter how you view Saturdays result, and you can dress it up several ways. For me it was all about the starting eleven and how we set out stall. After Morrisons no show after five minutes and Kennedy/Nisbett/Yeats/McGinn all turning in a combined no show, our manager should have changed it tactically. He didn’t and Dunfermline didn’t have to do much to see the game out. They were set up not to lose, and tbf they were fairly comfortable. The honeymoon for McGlynn is clearly over, and although he’s been the correct appointment, next few games are critical. Mentioned on page after page, for the past year ish, there’s a number of players who’s he’s inherited that decide to hide against the teams we’ve found difficult to get anything from, Saturday highlighted once again, players that shouldn’t be anywhere near this club. 

5 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Mcglynn wouldn't have been a realistic appointment 2 years ago to be honest.  Falkirk had a fucking awful management team and Mcglynn was about to lead Rovers to 3rd in the Championship.

Edited by CALDERON

Guest Back Post Misses
11 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I think even mcglynn got caught out by how negative Dunfermline were. He set up for a more open game which was what most of us were expecting I suppose. Can't remember a game between the two sides where one team has played like that through choice and not through being forced to as one of the sides was so much better than the other one. Most games between the sides over the years have been end to end stuff. It meant burrell being isolated as our midfielders couldn't find any space. To support him.  Two up top should've been the move a lot earlier but was too late in the game when we went to that  unfortunately.  

I actually though at HT he should have gone to 3 at the back. Moved Yeats to RWB and push both full backs on and brought on the extra striker. Was crying out to stretch them wide and they were offering so little going forward it didn’t matter playing three at the back. We would have got overloads down the side and in behind them