The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The league for me is up for grabs. However as posted by a few pars fan McPake has put together a strong resilient first eleven that is based on the defensive side of the game. Shite to watch but who’s top?

Yesterday could be viewed as a blip, but the fact is we’ve come short against our rivals and the teams we’ve struggled to beat. Yes we’re miles CB ahead of last seasons shite, but still short.  Said weeks ago an attacking RB and MF, and a CF in at the transfer window would be the difference in winning the league or making top four. But with our financial position the best we can hope for is a Dear Santa magic letter……..

I think we are a better team than last season however on 06/11/2021 we drew with Alloa and our league record then was not much different from now ie. 4 losses. The reality is if we don’t start picking up points against the ‘stronger’ teams then we face another season in this league.

46 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Kennedy was especially a let down

How can someone who has been shite at Dunfermline, Hamilton and now you guys be a let down yesterday was as good as it gets for him.

Only 3 pts ahead of Airdrie (who’ve been fairly calamitous for a large part of this season) tells its own story. 

Huge improvements in a lot of games this season, but a few too many performances that wouldn’t have been out of place last year for my liking. Maybe that’s all down to the jobbers we’ve not been able to shift, who knows 

4 minutes ago, JB22 said:

Obviously, I’m as disappointed as everyone else with the result yesterday, and it’s going to hurt for a few days. Due to work commitments I’m not a regular at the stadium, I go to as many games as I can and if I can't make it, I’ll be at home watching every week on Falkirk TV.

Yesterday I frequented the South Stand and sat up the back corner near what now would be described as the choir or young team. Usually I sit at the other side of the stand, but I fancied getting in amongst the atmosphere.

I've got to say, I left the ground yesterday feeling absolutely sick to the stomach about the result, but more so about the conduct of some of our fans. 

I should caveat by saying, I’m no prude by any means. Playful jibes at alleged incest from those across the water doesn’t bother me that much, it's harmless fun and I’ve even been accused myself as being a little over the top with my reactions at certain games.

However, yesterday was different. The incessant chants about gassing fifers for 90 minutes was totally sick-making. And then we throw into the mix, shouts at “F*enian c***s” and large section chanting “All the fifers are gay.” I mean, come on.

In 2022, when we want football to be a means of bringing people from all background, gender, race together. It was embarrassing. It genuinely, felt like going back in time, and in that moment I was ashamed to be a Falkirk supporter.

I couldn’t believe that such a high percentage of the chanting was coming from hate for one group people as opposed to love for another. I’ve not got children, but if I had I would not take them anywhere near that section of the stand.

Now some people may accuse me of being too “woke” or a “snowflake” but I couldn’t care less to be honest. I turned up to the ground to support the team that I’ve supported for over 20 years, and I’ll continue to do so. 

I couldn’t help but think of the people that turned up yesterday on a one-off occasion being subjected to some pretty cancerous, neanderthal behaviour from a small portion of our fans. Without an already, deep-rooted love for the club, I don’t see they would return - I certainly wouldn’t.  

I don’t know how we expect our culture and society to evolve if this behaviour isn’t called out. I genuinely thought we were passed a lot of this. When I got home I thought about one of the great moments before the game, the South Stand belting out A Little Respect by a well publicised gay man… Yesterday we all sang, “Make love, not war.” And on reflection, I couldn’t ignore the irony. 

It’s not just Falkirk, every club in Scotland has their fair share of morons and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t the same level of chants coming from the other side of the stadium. It goes without saying, that the vast vast majority were there to support their team and were creating an incredible atmosphere. This was a small minority, make no bones about it.

Like I say, I’m sure people may accuse me of being too sensitive and encourage me to stay at home if I don’t like it - But that doesn’t solve the problem.

COYB.

Im surprised you  expected any different from what would be a bunch of well pished kids at a derby match.  Doesn't mean I agree with it but at games like this you'll always get that. Better sitting in the main stand if you want a more sanitised experience. 

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Im surprised you  expected any different from what would be a bunch of well pished kids at a derby match.  Doesn't mean I agree with it but at games like this you'll always get that. Better sitting in the main stand if you want a more sanitised experience. 

Poor attitude that. I don't think the OP is expecting too much to sit in amongst where the atmosphere would be, and to expect to sing pro Falkirk/Anti Dunfermline songs. 

Imagine if we'd been singing Craig Gowans/Gordon MacFarlane songs, would it be acceptable to just shrug our shoulders and go "ah well, what can you expect?". Shite behaviour should always be called out, realistically it's fucking difficult if you're a lone voice doing it at the game, ideally you'd want the club releasing a statement saying to wrap that pish. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Poor attitude that. I don't think the OP is expecting too much to sit in amongst where the atmosphere would be, and to expect to sing pro Falkirk/Anti Dunfermline songs. 

Imagine if we'd been singing Craig Gowans/Gordon MacFarlane songs, would it be acceptable to just shrug our shoulders and go "ah well, what can you expect?". Shite behaviour should always be called out, realistically it's fucking difficult if you're a lone voice doing it at the game, ideally you'd want the club releasing a statement saying to wrap that pish. 

My comment was more aimed at the fact he seemed surprised that it happened. Some of the stuff from the Dunfermline crowd was just as bad including chanting about mongs and tranny's and singing  during the minutes applause and I sit just along from the away stand but I didn't expect anything different at these games I'm afraid.  Football and drink as we all know brings out the worst in folk and will continue to do so for many years from now.

Edited by Shodwall cat

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You were, and it was equally unacceptable. I think we attract nasty day trippers for this game (was the same at EEP). Young drunk laddies. Has been the same since I can remember, it’s unacceptable but isn’t new 

10 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

You were, and it was equally unacceptable. I think we attract nasty day trippers for this game (was the same at EEP). Young drunk laddies. Has been the same since I can remember, it’s unacceptable but isn’t new 

Was sat right next to the section and nothing was sang about Gowans or Gordon. 

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
31 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be challenged. 

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Was sat right next to the section and nothing was sang about Gowans or Gordon. 

Never nothing about the dead laddie. In fact apart from that long haired idiot getting deserved abuse, it was mainly our usual supportive chants. 

2 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Put in perspective - To come from where we were last season to having the league leaders need a smash-and-grab performance to confirm their 'superiority' I think we're still in it.

Smash and grab? We had more shots on target and it wasn't as if we were under the cosh at all until the last 10 minutes. It was hardly Chelsea at the Nou Camp!

Guest Ecosse83

Have to say I was cringing at the songs sung yesterday, it wasn’t just a few kids there was grown adults joining in. They should hang their heads in shame, absolute twats! 

I think there will be a few embarrassed people this morning when they open their eyes, I know it was a charged game but for ffs they neeed to grow the hell up! 

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Smash and grab? We had more shots on target and it wasn't as if we were under the cosh at all until the last 10 minutes. It was hardly Chelsea at the Nou Camp!

Certainly wasn't smash and grab. Neither team looked desperate to win until we flung the likes of Brad Mackay forward towards the end. That's also when Dunfermline had most of their joy as we committed more folk forward and left ourselves open at the back. Even then there wasn't much happening for either keeper.  We had a couple of decent headed chances from corners but couldn't get any of them on target whilst Dunfermline did although it was hard to miss from about 4 yards out.

21 minutes ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Never nothing about the dead laddie. In fact apart from that long haired idiot getting deserved abuse, it was mainly our usual supportive chants. 

Aye if singing about mongs is acceptable of course and some of the stuff outside the ground was pretty dire. 

By all means challenge it but I don't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Aside from condemnation of both groups of fans involved in signing the usual shite, I'm not sure we should be giving it much more oxygen tbh. Other than I'd like Falkirk to issue a statement of condemnation.

The sad fact of the matter is that I feel I have more in common with a Pars fan who I can discuss the match with than a pished up 19 year "Falkirk fan" who wants to do nothing but sing about someone who died before they were born.

Only thing match related to add, I think McGlynns interview is being massively overplayed. Pars fans seem to think he's slagging them off, I didnt really see it that way. From what I have seen, when he starts relentlessly saying "quality" its something of a euphemism for him being absolutely seething at our players. I suspect they were the focus of his anger, rather than the way they set up, which was in a way any pragmatic football manager or indeed fan, can absolutely understand.

Guest Wind Chime Jimmy
25 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Aye if singing about mongs is acceptable of course and some of the stuff outside the ground was pretty dire. 

By all means challenge it but I don't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Oh aye forgot about the mongo chants. Pish patter

37 minutes ago, Wind Chime Jimmy said:

Oh aye forgot about the mongo chants. Pish patter

That and the behaviour during the minutes applause was poor but like I said I wasn't surprised as both clubs have a similar number of teenagers that appear at these games pished sing there songs and then don't appear again to the next game.  Unfortunately you also get a few fans who should no better joining in with them. Im afraid I don't see how you prevent it though. It's not changed much in the 40 odd years I've been going  even though more folk call it out now than ever before.