The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Quite incredible for a league one club to have posted over a million quid loss last season and end up midtable. Crazy stuff.

I was amazed at the income line of £1.3m.   They seem to be actively addressing that. The player budget by the sounds probably wasn’t out of line from where it normally was last season. Suppose you had the like of Holt in there and pay offs to sheerin and Grainger mind you. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

5 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Just finished listening. Thought Kenny and Keith came across well. They explained their position clearly and apologised for how the statement came across which is what we all wanted. It certainly made a huge change to the beligerent and contemptible style of Deans and co. 

I still think there’s a lot the club can still do to try and entice fans to spend money without just asking for it. I also think there still should be some accountability on player signings to protect the club from long term deals or high wages on risky players but do understand that it’s not as easy to implement when trying to appease the manager too.

That said, I think they answered well and gave a very good insight to how things are at the club. Was really refreshing to hear and hope that as a result many more sign up to the FSS so that we can ensure things keep ticking over till the end of the season. 

What ideas do you have to get fans to spend? Why don’t you send an email to Jamie Swinney or call him to pass those on? 

Haven't listened yet but will do so later, sounds like a very open conversation which is great. 

For me, something we have to do straight away is introduce a £5 minimum or pay what you can option for FSS membership then market the f*ck out of it. That feels like a no brainer. 

Medium term we need to be offering tiers and benefits with the aim to have all fans paying the basic level and those who can afford it enticed to pay more. 

On pitch success will help and this season is now more important than ever. 

If the FSS started a separate scheme that put shares in the fans name but the FSS got proxy on those shares (like the Patron group) I would sign up to that too 

Needs to be a massive drive from the FSS this month to at least try and hit these targets. I know it’s a lot to ask from people who are volunteers and are already doing a fantastic job but new ideas, more boots on the ground on match day, sign up forms left on every seat, maybe somebody out with a microphone at half time, cheaper subscriptions for students and pensioners, maybe a larger corporate type subscription designed at attracting fans running small business’s to join and become shareholders within the FSS ect. There must also be a few more fans out there who could afford to invest more and join the patrons group. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

31 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Thought the podcast was excellent.  Really well explained and an enjoyable listen. Our model isn't very complicated and it's not a dark art.

Not sure who they think we can sell though.  

If they keep developing maybe Finn Yeates and Rumarn Burrell. Don’t know if that’s who they are thinking of but of the top of my head they are the ones that spring to mind.

30 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Haven't listened yet but will do so later, sounds like a very open conversation which is great. 

For me, something we have to do straight away is introduce a £5 minimum or pay what you can option for FSS membership then market the f*ck out of it. That feels like a no brainer. 

Medium term we need to be offering tiers and benefits with the aim to have all fans paying the basic level and those who can afford it enticed to pay more. 

On pitch success will help and this season is now more important than ever. 

Can they not offer a flexible monthly payment ? A lot of people these days have a fluctuating salary due to hours worked, overtime, bonus etc so perhaps this would help ? Ie. Somebody could maybe afford £5 this month but for example £15 next month.

This could surely be offered via a standing order payment ? 

Also, and apologies if this is already in place but how about a card payment option where fans can log in and contribute online on an ad-hoc basis ?

23 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Can they not offer a flexible monthly payment ? A lot of people these days have a fluctuating salary due to hours worked, overtime, bonus etc so perhaps this would help ? Ie. Somebody could maybe afford £5 this month but for example £15 next month.

This could surely be offered via a standing order payment ? 

Also, and apologies if this is already in place but how about a card payment option where fans can log in and contribute online on an ad-hoc basis ?

Might be wrong but I’m pretty sure there is already a feature where fans can go in and make contributions without having to sign up to a fixed monthly direct debit. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Yes, very frank and open.

The one thing which I would have liked to know is - ‘when does the cash run out?’ Is it November or December?

With the best will in the world, FSS is NEVER going to be able to plug the gap.

So we’re back to soft loans or a new investor.

Wasn't clear as to whether the usual donors had been approached and, if so, how amenable they would be to help.

It just all seems to be so, so late in the day when the same information was available months ago.

Their analysis of the situation was good but I’m not filled with a lot of confidence that they’ve been taking the necessary action and speaking to the right people to solve the short term problem.

I think I can now see why the FD resigned.
No mention of the AGM- worrying - probably down to the Auditors needing comfort?

Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:For me, something we have to do straight away is introduce a £5 minimum or pay what you can option for FSS membership then market the f*ck out of it. That feels like a no brainer. 

there’s a reason why this hasn’t been introduced and it was to allow everyone contributing the minimum to have an equivalent vote in decisions. 

It might be possible to allow a lower monthly contribution (entry point to FSS) but those people would not have the same voting rights as others. Its much harder to  administrate also. And additionally there may be a number of contributors who drop their monthly payment to the lower level if that is introduced. 

It is being discussed as are other ideas. One major new initiative will be announced by FSS in the next week or so. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

there’s a reason why this hasn’t been introduced and it was to allow everyone contributing the minimum to have an equivalent vote in decisions. 

It might be possible to allow a lower monthly contribution (entry point to FSS) but those people would not have the same voting rights as others. Its much harder to  administrate also. And additionally there may be a number of contributors who drop their monthly payment to the lower level if that is introduced. 

It is being discussed as are other ideas. One major new initiative will be announced by FSS in the next week or so. 

Do those who pay more  than £10/month  have more voting rights? 

Very open and honest appraisal from people who without question are true Falkirk people. Apology graciously accepted for the outrageous paragraph in the recent statement.

As mentioned unless there is a huge upturn in numbers signing up, we’re no where near making up the shortfall, which is very worrying. I’ve stated previously that the club needs a new investor/investment to come in. I know these don’t grow on trees, but sadly if we are to make it to season end it could be turbulent times.

8 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

No. It’s strictly one vote per person. 

…….and therein lies a problem. So £10 a month buys you one vote. So £50 a month buys you one vote. There is absolutely no incentive in terms of voting rights to pay more than £10 a month. It needs to be fixed. 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Wee bit surprised at the bod talking about returning cap in hand to the old msg members having pushed so hard to get them out of being involved in the first place.  

Tbf, it was their ever reducing commitment to governing the club that was the big issue (alongside the questionable decision making that led to the likes of George Craig and Gary Deans being allowed anywhere near the building). The MSGs £ notes are however, still welcome any day of the week.

Guest Caractacus Potts
20 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

No. It’s strictly one vote per person. 

If that’s the case then surely a £5/month option would be the same?