The Falkirk FC Thread

Telfer was rightly emptied at the end of last season along with a load of other dross. The end of this season will see the door hitting  the arse of the likes of Nesbitt and co and tbh it can't come quickly enough. No room for the odd fleeting performance here and there. In Telfer's case he's got a degree in law, so if at least he does decide to jack football in  he's at least got a career ahead of him. 

Telfer has the ability of someone who should be playing in the top flight but the heart and consistency of someone who should be playing on your local public park. Another player every manager thinks they can get a lot more out of only to find out that they actually can't.  Was part of the midfield that was regularly out battled by airdries over the past few seasons so strange they want to sign him.

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think Airdrie might have much better players to support him in midfield, and that might be the key to getting more out of him.

I always felt their greatest asset was that they all put in a good shift. I doubt they'll get that from him but you never know. 

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I always felt their greatest asset was that they all put in a good shift. I doubt they'll get that from him but you never know. 

Highly critical of his attitude, application and effort, however if he’s got a decent couple (especially a box to box type) of players, it wouldn’t  surprise me to see him in a different light. As many have said something wrong when he was still available six weeks into season.

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Telfer has the ability of someone who should be playing in the top flight but the heart and consistency of someone who should be playing on your local public park. Another player every manager thinks they can get a lot more out of only to find out that they actually can't.  Was part of the midfield that was regularly out battled by airdries over the past few seasons so strange they want to sign him.

Our manager was part of that midfield so I will trust his judgement on this one. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Highly critical of his attitude, application and effort, however if he’s got a decent couple (especially a box to box type) of players, it wouldn’t  surprise me to see him in a different light. As many have said something wrong when he was still available six weeks into season.

Wage demands and a desire to move down south, not many teams down south looking for a midfielder who played for a team that finished 6th in Scotland's 3rd tier I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I hope he does well. Time will tell. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

12 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If at the end of last season, we could only keep one of Nesbitt, McGuffie and Telfer, then I think Telfer would have been the one to keep.

He’s last season’s Blair Alston, obviously has ability but being played out of position as a holding midfielder and having the likes of Hetherington and Gary Miller next to you is worse than being a man short. Alston was widely regarded as finished and he turned out ok last season and I imagine Telfer will be much of the same. He’s a better player than Mcguffie and Nesbitt for sure, mind you that wouldn’t be hard

5 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

He’s last season’s Blair Alston, obviously has ability but being played out of position as a holding midfielder and having the likes of Hetherington and Gary Miller next to you is worse than being a man short. Alston was widely regarded as finished and he turned out ok last season and I imagine Telfer will be much of the same. He’s a better player than Mcguffie and Nesbitt for sure, mind you that wouldn’t be hard

Three pees in a pod. 

2 hours ago, Juan Sheet said:

Even when played further forward when gomis was in the side  previously though your lucky if he turned up one game in ten.

I think its almost a matter of fact that Airdrie are going to see a significantly better version of Telfer than we did, or at least more consistently at the level he's capable of. How many examples are there.... And it's not like there's doubt that he has talent.

They will occasionally complain that he was anonymous here and there, but they will get more from him than we did.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think its almost a matter of fact that Airdrie are going to see a significantly better version of Telfer than we did, or at least more consistently at the level he's capable of. How many examples are there.... And it's not like there's doubt that he has talent.

They will occasionally complain that he was anonymous here and there, but they will get more from him than we did.

Not convinced that will be the case, Morton fans told us what to expect from Telfer and for the most part they were correct, see no reason to think he’ll change his stripes now. When the going got tuff he would invariably vanish from games and only really turned it on in the rare occasions we were on top in games against the poorer sides and he didn’t need to dig deep or graft. It was the correct decision to release him as it would have been for Nisbet or Mcguffie had they been out of contract also. If we are going to win the division we need to find better than the likes of those 3. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Not convinced that will be the case, Morton fans told us what to expect from Telfer and for the most part they were correct, see no reason to think he’ll change his stripes now. When the going got tuff he would invariably vanish from games and only really turned it on in the rare occasions we were on top in games against the poorer sides and he didn’t need to dig deep or graft. It was the correct decision to release him as it would have been for Nisbet or Mcguffie had they been out of contract also. If we are going to win the division we need to find better than the likes of those 3. 

I'm not saying it wasn't the correct decision to launch him. All I'm saying is there's no point in predicting Airdrie get the same version we got. It won't happen. Its happened with grim regularity since Hartleys summer. Players go on and do absolutely fine elsewhere and what we told other teams they were getting bears no resemblance. 

It's a rather depressing sideshow of the last 3 or 4 years. 

7 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Even when played further forward when gomis was in the side  previously though your lucky if he turned up one game in ten.

Still was our second top goal scorer behind Morrison the last two seasons and a lot of that was playing deeper. Gomis was lucky to last an hour a game. I’m not disappointed he’s left as McGinn and Yeats are far better imo but I do feel he’s better than hetherington, Nesbitt and Mcguffie. It also wouldn’t surprise me if he did better for Airdrie as it’s what we do to a lot of players, hopefully Mcglynn is reversing that trend