The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Someone earlier mentioned we've had the biggest budget in the league (or at least one of them) almost every year in League 1.  

Every year we've wasted that advantage.  This season recruitment started well but we're now frantically hoping Burrell, Lawal and Kennedy exceed expectation otherwise our season could be over before its begun.  Other teams supporters have already told us not to expect much from Kennedy.  Who will take the blame if they don't make an impact?  2 of them are inexperienced and all are massive gambles. 

Kennedy & Henderson are crocked, Donaldson, McGinn, Yeats and Mackie look decent enough and jury out on PJ Morrison.  Oliver and Alegria look like poor signings.  The 3 who haven't really played take McGlynns signings to 12.   No manager would get them all right but from an experienced manager you'd be looking for at least 9 or 10 out of 12 to be consistent starters.  We shouldn't need to be playing all the sh*te from last season with 12 new faces in once all fit as long as the new guys are better.  

Its frustrating watching guys like Mochrie score for the Fifers on Saturday while we're left to hope that untried, untested young guys will rescue our season in the first week of August. 

I don't blame anyone for believing in McGlynn (god knows we need to hope!) but personally I'm not convinced he's as good as we'd like to believe.  Hope I'm wrong.  

Recruitment looks slightly better in that not all of our signings are shit but we're still missing out on players that should've been getting picked up . Ballantyne for a start. Feck me we should know all about him and yet he signs for a league one club with a smaller budget than we have.  The best youngsters seem to always end up elsewhere like the Jameson's and mochries and every other side in the league seems to have a player that can stick the ball in the net save us despite us again having a sizeable budget.  Have we ever put in bids for any of the strikers in this league and offered them a decent wage rise to come to us or are we just hoping to get lucky on a loan deal or unknown from down south as it would seem. It's frustrating that we are constantly getting outdone in the recruitment department by the likes of Airdrie and Montrose.

19 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I like him a bit more than you but considering we haven’t really had a disastrous left back over the last few years, I wonder how much playing beside Callum Fordyce helped McCann. Fordyce has probably been the steadiest defender in the league since he joined, it must be a lot easier to stand out with the attributes you’ve mentioned above in an organised team with him to your right rather than Falkirk’s rotating cast of charlatans.

I definitely think that will have helped him. I'm not saying he's terrible or anything but as I say I thought he was hyped well beyond his actual ability which resulted in Falkirk giving him such a long contract. His confidence must have been high at the start with us and has been slowly crushed at Falkirk, I remember the game last year at New Broomfield where we won (3-2 I think) and he was dreadful and was clearly affected by the crowd. In a solid side I think he'd be okay at a club at this level, but if I was trying to turn this Falkirk squad around and make them challengers I can't say I'd be looking to keep him.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Wonder who this is - a new account made especially to criticise the current board? No agenda here I guess. /s

I think there are plenty of agendas going on on both sides, to be honest. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

4 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Wonder who this is - a new account made especially to criticise the current board? No agenda here I guess. /s

Wonder who this is - a new-ish account who joined in January to praise the current board? No agenda here, I guess.

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

The thing is I'm not sure moving on one or two would make much difference when it comes to budget. 4 or 5 perhaps might loosen up some more cash but I can't see that happening before the end of the window. 

4 hours ago, AdamAnt said:

You not using your Jackie Myles or ShadwellDog account anymore? Just the 3 accounts you use or is there more? 

Just ignore him Shadwell, it's great to see you back posting.

3 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I think there are plenty of agendas going on on both sides, to be honest. 

And maybe, just maybe, there are some posters like myself who are equal opportunities posters who have posted in criticism of both the old board and the new board?

Although both appointments ultimately proved to be wrong, I praised the current board for appointing Rennie and signing Griffiths.

If they screw up in the future, I reserve the right to criticise them. Nobody is above criticism.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

6 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Someone earlier mentioned we've had the biggest budget in the league (or at least one of them) almost every year in League 1.  

Every year we've wasted that advantage.  This season recruitment started well but we're now frantically hoping Burrell, Lawal and Kennedy exceed expectation otherwise our season could be over before its begun.  Other teams supporters have already told us not to expect much from Kennedy.  Who will take the blame if they don't make an impact?  2 of them are inexperienced and all are massive gambles. 

Kennedy & Henderson are crocked, Donaldson, McGinn, Yeats and Mackie look decent enough and jury out on PJ Morrison.  Oliver and Alegria look like poor signings.  The 3 who haven't really played take McGlynns signings to 12.   No manager would get them all right but from an experienced manager you'd be looking for at least 9 or 10 out of 12 to be consistent starters.  We shouldn't need to be playing all the sh*te from last season with 12 new faces in once all fit as long as the new guys are better.  

Its frustrating watching guys like Mochrie score for the Fifers on Saturday while we're left to hope that untried, untested young guys will rescue our season in the first week of August. 

I don't blame anyone for believing in McGlynn (god knows we need to hope!) but personally I'm not convinced he's as good as we'd like to believe.  Hope I'm wrong.  

I wouldn’t say the jury is out on PJ, I think he’s been very decent since returning and looks much improved since his last spell. 

I’d also argue Oliver hasn’t been poor, in fact far from it. His hold up play has been very tidy so far, we just need to actually partner him with someone who’ll get in behind. 

I wouldn’t say the jury is out on PJ, I think he’s been very decent since returning and looks much improved since his last spell. 
I’d also argue Oliver hasn’t been poor, in fact far from it. His hold up play has been very tidy so far, we just need to actually partner him with someone who’ll get in behind. 
Have to agree on PJ. Was gutted on Sat when he had to go off.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Have to agree on PJ. Was gutted on Sat when he had to go off.

Reading through this thread I don't think there's one player who hasn't been slated from Saturday when in reality there was maybe only 4 who had really poor games. 

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Hopeful that the injuries suffered at weekend are not to serious, losing our No 1 GK, and dare I say it, one of the most improved players so far, would be a significant setback. 

Agreed. We potentially go into the weekend with our number 1 goalie out and 3 centre half’s, McKay, Henderson and Watson crocked. Might be forced into playing Mackie in the centre with Donaldson and McCann at left back.

Peterhead have conceded 17 goals in 6 games so far this season so if we don’t take goals off them I’ll be really concerned.

In the aftermath of Saturday I was keen to bin Nesbitt but now I'd be inclined to throw him out to the right wing for Saturday.

I'd persist with playing McGuffie instead of Morrison and dispense with the inverted wingers we saw. 

Hetherington is still a lost cause.

I'll get my email into the club with that suggestion as soon as I get my tactics sheet sorted 😉

10 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Yeah bit surprising considering Falkirk had first dibs on him apparently, United only wanted 50% of his wages ( no loan fee) i heard so it wasn't a money issue.

23 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

We had not lost a goal from open play in 5 competitive games till yesterday. That shows we have improved. We lost goals yesterday which were a mixture of bad luck and poor defending.  Donaldson, Henderson and Mackie would play in every other side in the league. 
Get your crowing in early. Long season. We were awful 2nd half yesterday. I genuinely think Airdrie I saw yesterday were better last season. I am sure you can play better. 

So we were humped 4-0 by an Airdrie side, who are by your own admission, not as good as the Airdrie side of last season (who finished close to 30 points above us) and you’re still trying to put a positive spin on it? The defending on Saturday was up there with the worst of last season. 

7 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Wonder who this is - a new-ish account who joined in January to praise the current board? No agenda here, I guess.

NO - I am happy to tell you who I am if you wish, if you look at my posts I have mostly put up information about FSS with the odd personal view about the football thrown in. If the new Board get it wrong then I will happily criticise them.

And it is obvious who most people on here are - I could identify at least 7 people I know personally here just from their obsessions. If I had my way I would stop all anonymity on the internet - it only causes toxicity when people don't have to be identified with the things they write.

17 minutes ago, AdamAnt said:

... The defending on Saturday was up there with the worst of last season. 

Not sure we should expect any less to be honest. We've had and continue to have zero consistency in defensive selections from week-to-week and that must have an effect.

Yeats was in on Saturday instead of Williamson and we have shuffled for various reasons already this season CB pairings. It was the same last season and season before. 

It seems the only nailed on positions are in our ineffectual midfield and it's killing us.

24 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Not sure we should expect any less to be honest. We've had and continue to have zero consistency in defensive selections from week-to-week and that must have an effect.

Yeats was in on Saturday instead of Williamson and we have shuffled for various reasons already this season CB pairings. It was the same last season and season before. 

It seems the only nailed on positions are in our ineffectual midfield and it's killing us.

I still question if keeping on Kennedy is the right thing to do considering the amount of time he's out for unless of course we aren't paying anything towards having him which is doubtful. We could always bring him back in January once he'd proven his fitness. Given our current injury list it seems strange to lengthen it further with a player we could simply send back and replace.

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I still question if keeping on Kennedy is the right thing to do considering the amount of time he's out for unless of course we aren't paying anything towards having him which is doubtful. We could always bring him back in January once he'd proven his fitness. Given our current injury list it seems strange to lengthen it further with a player we could simply send back and replace.

To the best of my knowledge he is back at Rangers just now and will return to us once the injury has healed. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

To the best of my knowledge he is back at Rangers just now and will return to us once the injury has healed. 

I was going to say, I don't have any knowledge of this particular situation, but I'd be flabbergasted if he was with us being treated considering the physio and rehab resources Rangers will have compared to us.

16 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

I'm not saying we are treating him what I'm saying is we are obviously keeping him as a loan though and the money involved for that. Not sure whether we are paying it just now but it will be set aside in the budget and preventing us bringing someone else in to replace him whilst he gets fit at some point.  Couple of weeks is one thing but 8 weeks is a virtually a couple of months and then he has to get up to speed and his injury record ain't great as it is. Meanwhile mochrie is scoring for Dunfermline and Jameson is playing well for Airdrie. At the end of the day it's one of the reasons why we're having to start the 4 players of the apocalypse.

Edited by Shodwall cat