The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s almost as if some of our fans want Rumarn Burrell and Alegria to fail so they can say ‘I told you so’. Let’s just give the manager a chance to do his job and wait and see how Burrell and Alegria turn out.

I've absolutely no doubt there's an element that would much rather be proved right than see players/ managers/ bod succeed. Incredulous stuff. It's usually those that pick and chose their games as well or spend more time on a forum that actually supporting the team.

18 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s almost as if some of our fans want Rumarn Burrell and Alegria to fail so they can say ‘I told you so’. Let’s just give the manager a chance to do his job and wait and see how Burrell and Alegria turn out.

I usually agree with your posts don't think that's true. AGPar's post was excellent.

It's not a desire that he's bad (I  the same way being startled and alarmed by the horrific Rennie appointment wasn't a hope he was bad either - just concern).

We've signed an awful lot of 'this' type of player over the past few seasons. The list is long of completely unproven players from English development football. Even ostensibly good signings like Reuben Sammut were horrific. 

Obviously he'll get a chance and people will be right behind him. We want a forward who can win us games..there'll always be that bit of excitement with any new striker (I had it with Allegria too despite the Partick fans' warnings) but as AGPar said its also very natural to be skeptical at the same time.

McGlynn's improved the shit we had and recruited well at the back and defensive midfield. 

We've yet to see him recruit a forward at that level. Accepting Kai Kennedy has yet to play in fairness.

29 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Spot on. Folks just want something to moan about. In the past we have signed players who had proved themselves at other clubs, Griffiths comes to mind,  but have failed to do anything. Just because you haven't heard of the player doesn't meant to say they are going to be a failure. McGlynn has obvs seen something he likes and thinks will work for us so lets get behind the team and stop wanting them to fail. 

For me I don’t honestly think there’s many wishing ill or failure with anyone regardless of player, coach, manager, or anyone connected with the club. The point that many are making with the forward players brought in, is the similarities of poor signings the club has made in the past few seasons.
Yes I believe M&S have steadied the ship defensively, but as we seen on Saturday, it’s upfront where surgery is critically needed. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I mean, Alegria is shite, fans from a number of clubs will tell you that.  Burrell didn't play enough to be judged imo, I can remember him coming on against The Caley, but he didn't do much.

Guest Caractacus Potts
33 minutes ago, Double t said:

Spot on. Folks just want something to moan about. In the past we have signed players who had proved themselves at other clubs, Griffiths comes to mind,  but have failed to do anything. Just because you haven't heard of the player doesn't meant to say they are going to be a failure. McGlynn has obvs seen something he likes and thinks will work for us so lets get behind the team and stop wanting them to fail. 

Some of us were skeptics about Griffiths too given the money we would have been paying him in addition to his poor form and attitude.  That didn’t mean to say we didn’t want him to do well. 

I think people are right to be sceptical. Many have been proven right too. What I don’t like is someone being completely written off before they’ve started however I don’t see any harm with anyone expressing concern. AGPars post was a perfect example of that. I’m worried about our front line too but will give these guys a chance, as I’m sure we all will. 

I hope Burrell can hold the ball up. That's something we are severely lacking IMO.

We're short on quality in the attacking areas for sure, but a bit of hold up play would definitely help mitigate that by buying a bit of time to move everyone up the park a bit. Maybe would let Gary Oliver also concentrate on getting into position to be a nuisance in the box rather than being pulled all over trying to do the hold up against CHs too big for him.

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I hope Burrell can hold the ball up. That's something we are severely lacking IMO.

We're short on quality in the attacking areas for sure, but a bit of hold up play would definitely help mitigate that by buying a bit of time to move everyone up the park a bit. Maybe would let Gary Oliver also concentrate on getting into position to be a nuisance in the box rather than being pulled all over trying to do the hold up against CHs too big for him.

Holding the ball up and bringing in others to play is Oliver's full game. If we do play two upfront at some point it'll be Oliver and either Alegria/Burrell. 

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I actually think the strongest part of Oliver’s game has been holding the ball up. Shame the players hes been linking the play with have been utter dug meat

2 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

I actually think the strongest part of Oliver’s game has been holding the ball up. Shame the players hes been linking the play with have been utter dug meat

Only when it’s played to his feet, any ball above knee height he lost out on it. 

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Holding the ball up and bringing in others to play is Oliver's full game. If we do play two upfront at some point it'll be Oliver and either Alegria/Burrell. 

I was prerty unimpressed with that from him on Saturday. He rolled a defender and got fouled once, the rest of the time he was climbing all over them to try and gain an advantage and making it easy for the ref to punish him. Dont see much in the way of strength from him so far. 

55 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I mean, Alegria is shite, fans from a number of clubs will tell you that.  Burrell didn't play enough to be judged imo, I can remember him coming on against The Caley, but he didn't do much.

This is true, but it's also worth noting that two different Killie managers saw fit to barely give him any playing time at all last season despite at times a striker shortage that saw them have to recall Innes Cameron from us mid season for a month or so rather than use him.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is true, but it's also worth noting that two different Killie managers saw fit to barely give him any playing time at all last season despite at times a striker shortage that saw them have to recall Innes Cameron from us mid season for a month or so rather than use him.

Equally I could turn that one around and say that same managers still playing Innes Cameron this season even though we all know he's dugmeat.

26 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Equally I could turn that one around and say that same managers still playing Innes Cameron this season even though we all know he's dugmeat.

I'd take Innes Cameron back in a heartbeat. He'd batter this division. That's not the point here though. Point was Kilmarnock had a dearth of strikers, certainly outside their first choice pair, and two different managers saw nothing in him to warrant any game time of note. Granted there's a level difference from top end Championship to here. He might be great but even McGlynn's signing comments are hardly a ringing endorsement. There's very much a "couldn't get anything better, but we'll hope for the best" vibe about them.

When your basically under pressure to win every game you aren't going to rely fully on an untried youngster just coming back from injury mind you. It's therefor no surprise they brought Cameron back.  It looks to me like we are building a group of attacking options involving a couple of young players that won't be costing us very much. I'd still expect another striker in before the window shuts.

Edited by Jackie Myles

4 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

When your basically under pressure to win every game you aren't going to rely fully on an untried youngster just coming back from injury mind you. It's therefor no surprise they brought Cameron back.  It looks to me like we are building a group of attacking options involving a couple of young players that won't be costing us very much. I'd still expect another striker in before the end of August. 

Are Falkirk the Old Firm of League One?

6 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I am not saying he will be but no one had heard or Lyle Taylor when we snapped him up. Similar age and profile to Taylor. Let’s just wait and see but you would hope he has something about him as we will be paying accommodation as well as wages I would assume. 

Lyle Taylor scored a hat-trick in his first game for Falkirk (v Middlesbrough). This lad will struggle to score 3 before the year is out.