The Falkirk FC Thread

Sadly, if we have to wait another four or five games to get the frontline fixed, (and by the looks of it, “one or two” might not be enough), then we might be faced with a chunky points deficit against two or three other sides.

Clearly much has improved at the back….no doubt about that, but equally, that is the most toothless FFC I have seen in a long time. Not McGlynn’s fault by any means, but the group of players we have now look very much like a mid table L1 side (and that’s actually a wee improvement on last season).

It may well be another season completely hamstrung by the actions of Holt, Sheerin and Rennie.

We all wanted to see something positive today. FY was just about the only shining individual light, and a decent defensive performance, but it was yet another underwhelming opening game of the season.

So we learned absolutely nothing from that today. Defensively we are much improved and seem to have guys who actually want to keep the ball out the net. Attacking wise we are minging. A new RB, attacking midfielder and a striker needed urgently. IMO 3 good additions gives us every chance tho. 

One thing il add about Nesbitt in criticism, he got a bit silly as the second half wore in, resorting to trying some wildly complex, needless shit when a simple pass at a minimum would have retained the ball in the last third. It does look like his head goes out the game sometimes.

The top 5 or 6 in the league will be tightly packed and I'd include both us and Montrose in that group. They're well coached and organised and have good experienced heads through the spine of their side. They finished miles ahead of last season and beat us 3-0 with ease at TFS in the final quarter. They've had minimal turnover and added a quality striker in MacAllister and today was very evenly matched rather than the procession we saw against them last season under that goofball Rennie.

We're still short of about 4 players in terms of being favourites to win the league but we will be top 4 due to improved defence, organisation and a proper leader in McGinn in the middle of the park. 

At a bare minimum we need more creativity in midfield. Kennedy should help with that when he's back fit but still feel we'll need more on top of that. Nesbitt is all style over substance for me, some nice touches but his end product is abysmal. Morrison is hugely frustrating.

Much improved from the shambles of the last 18 months or so but still a lot of room to improve. Tough game next week but interesting to see how we compete.

I'd also say Clyde never laid a glove on us last week and they've horsed QoS today. 

Guest Ecosse83

Too many replies to quote regarding my Williamson post. I’m not saying he was great but there was loads of misplaced passes across the team today, as soon as Williamson misplaced a pass he was getting it from the crowd. I’m in no way a happy clapper but ffs why does this crowd need someone to jump on? 

anyway hopefully Mcglynn is well backed and we get a few bodies in going forward 

Booing after todays game was a riddy but tbf it was only a couple of people around me and it was pretty half-hearted booing at that. Total faith in McGlynn but we desperately need more firepower. Alegria might come good (and I really hope he does) but he looked weak as f**k when he came on. Donaldson was my MOTM, McKay looked a different player from last year and Yeats is a find. Nesbitt and Hetherington I’m just still not sold on in the slightest.

Edit to add: actually disagreed with one of McGlynns subs; I’d have taken Nesbitt off and put Alegria up with Oliver. Oliver works his socks off tbf to him, esp when he had so little around him.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

First match I’ve been to this season and god that was poor. Absolutely nothing going forward. 

On that showing we won’t even be close to making the play offs this season. Shows how far we have fallen as a club that some are considering the positives in that performance.

Shows how far we have fallen as a club that some are considering the positives in that performance.

You dont think consideration should be given to the improvements from.... a few weeks ago.... against the same opponents, who hounded us?

Honestly.

Thought that was terrible today. Disjointed and massive gaps between back and front . Morrison is stinking and we have zero threat. Allegria looked awful too. 

On the plus side I thought we generally defended well and Yeats had a great first hour. Really like Mackie and Donaldson too.

Thought montrose were the better side and should have won. Mind you Nesbitt buries that 1st half chance and we win 1-0.

Still light years ahead of last season when we'd have lost 2 or 3 nil. Our forwards are rank though. 

What I wouldn't give for an Andy Thomson.

Nice to see the usual moaners back! Was anyone delighted with todays performance - no, but there are definite improvements from last season, defensively solid, McGinn is a class act and with the right partner around him Oliver will bring others into the game. Yeats is going places as well.

make no bones about it, we would and did lose games like that fairly easily last season. McGlynn knows where our problems are and I trust him to fix them.

31 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

First match I’ve been to this season and god that was poor. Absolutely nothing going forward. 

On that showing we won’t even be close to making the play offs this season. Shows how far we have fallen as a club that some are considering the positives in that performance.

bit surprised you have turned down Chris Mochrie in that regard, we have Kai fotheringham maybe ?

1 hour ago, FFC1982 said:

Nice to see the usual moaners back! Was anyone delighted with todays performance - no, but there are definite improvements from last season, defensively solid, McGinn is a class act and with the right partner around him Oliver will bring others into the game. Yeats is going places as well.

make no bones about it, we would and did lose games like that fairly easily last season. McGlynn knows where our problems are and I trust him to fix them.

McGlynn doesn't seem to want to play with two upfront though so Oliver needs put out wide, into the 10 or dropped as he really can't play as the lone striker. Really need McGlynn to pull something out the hat with the next few signings. Obviously not his fault he's been left to try work with some piss poor footballers but by god it's frustrating.

McGlynn doesn't seem to want to play with two upfront though so Oliver needs put out wide, into the 10 or dropped as he really can't play as the lone striker. Really need McGlynn to pull something out the hat with the next few signings. Obviously not his fault he's been left to try work with some piss poor footballers but by god it's frustrating.

I don’t know why you would say that tbh. We had Oliver and Morrison up front together for the first hour today.