The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

I get like this every year at the start of the season, I hope McGlynn can keep the feeling there for more than a few weeks. I have faith. 

As Believe the Hype said, can't wait for a pint and some football. Falkirk Saturdays are back baby x 

Aye, I'm a total mark for this stuff like. The signing tweets etc, the pre season hope. It's a yearly time machine back to when I was a kid. I think theres at least something to back it up this time though. 

Sadly I think McGlynn is the factor that will bring Falkirk the league this season. He knows what it takes to win it and how to get the best from a squad like that.

Interesting that the bookies have switched from the Pars and make us league favourites. We look better but not winners material so far.
What’s happening at the Pars for the bookies to turn against them?….

4f38eddabd96a36218e0a548019d4249.jpg

10 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Interesting that the bookies have switched from the Pars and make us league favourites. We look better but not winners material so far.
What’s happening at the Pars for the bookies to turn against them?….

4f38eddabd96a36218e0a548019d4249.jpg

Can only think it was the fact we exited the league cup after failing to beat another team from the division and Falkirk progressed after beating one of the Premiership big guns. There's a minor case of doom and gloom at EEP just now as our second half against Alloa reeked of last season.

In all honesty, I don't think our LC campaign was all that bad, two comfortable wins, ran Ross Co close at Dingwall but the Alloa game was most recent and the worst. As a result it's taken the shine off what was a decent start and probably where this has came from.

I personally wouldn't have listed us as favourites. I think Queens have a better squad at the moment, and I think John McGlynn is a good manager at this level, that being said I'd take our squad over yours even if it's severely lacking depth. Sounds like we're close to one or two players coming in. McPake is being fairly cautious over signings, not just bringing in for sake of it which for the fans has been frustrating but I'm hoping it pays off in the long run.

The top four will have Airdrie, Dunfermline, Falkirk and QoS, I just don't know what order it'll be in.

Edited by The Toun Clock

15 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Can only think it was the fact we exited the league cup after failing to beat another team from the division and Falkirk progressed after beating one of the Premiership big guns. There's a minor case of doom and gloom at EEP just now as our second half against Alloa reeked of last season.

In all honesty, I don't think our LC campaign was all that bad, two comfortable wins, ran Ross Co close at Dingwall but the Alloa game was most recent and the worst. As a result it's taken the shine off what was a decent start and probably where this has came from.

I personally wouldn't have listed us as favourites. I think Queens have a better squad at the moment, and I think John McGlynn is a good manager at this level, that being said I'd take our squad over yours even if it's severely lacking depth. Sounds like we're close to one or two players coming in. McPake is being fairly cautious over signings, not just bringing in for sake of it which for the fans has been frustrating but I'm hoping it pays off in the long run.

The top four will have Airdrie, Dunfermline, Falkirk and QoS, I just don't know what order it'll be in.

Surely its like all betting, the odds are based on the amount of money staked on each team?

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Would say this is pretty fair.  FWIW looks to me at the moment like Airdrie have better overall balance than the rest of us right now. Would have them shorter than 7/1, and certainly shorter than Kelty.  Dunfermline look like a better attack, but (apparently) a weaker midfield;  we have a better defence but a woeful attack. Wouldn't have us as favourites at this stage either. Loan market is clearly ultra-crucial to everyone!! Gonna make 17 September a fair indicator of our respective chances...  (Wasn't it ever thus between us).  

30 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Would say this is pretty fair.  FWIW looks to me at the moment like Airdrie have better overall balance than the rest of us right now. Would have them shorter than 7/1, and certainly shorter than Kelty.  Dunfermline look like a better attack, but (apparently) a weaker midfield;  we have a better defence but a woeful attack. Wouldn't have us as favourites at this stage either. Loan market is clearly ultra-crucial to everyone!! Gonna make 17 September a fair indicator of our respective chances...  (Wasn't it ever thus between us).  

I don't know too much about Airdrie's team but I think they'll be there or thereabouts. I think some thought Kelty would be fighting it out at the top but with Potter becoming manager and a fairly quiet window I reckon they'll be mid table at best which would be a really good season for them.

Pars have four good strikers but at the moment we seem to be playing 3 of them at the same time, the issue with that is they all want to me the main striker playing through the middle but two of them are having to play wider which isn't what they want to do. Our midfield is piss thin and a bit of a shambles although Chris Hamilton will win the Balon D'or at some point in his career, unfortunately suspended this weekend and next weekend. Defence is good but definitely need some cover in there.

First couple of weeks will be a lottery as people will be bringing in players all through August, so you're absolutely right, the game between ourselves in September will be a big indicator, all teams should be bedded in by then.

4 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

I wouldn't rule out Montrose or Alloa for top 4. I'd say it's one of the most open league one title challenges I've seen, the norm is two teams going toe to toe but I don't think I could predict one team running away with it.

A decent signing or two in the next few weeks or January might be key this season, cove got a couple in on January which sealed them the title last season.

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I wouldn't rule out Montrose or Alloa for top 4. I'd say it's one of the most open league one title challenges I've seen, the norm is two teams going toe to toe but I don't think I could predict one team running away with it.

A decent signing or two in the next few weeks or January might be key this season, cove got a couple in on January which sealed them the title last season.

I'd half agree with that actually, I think Montrose after the signing of Rory McCallister could be a bit trickier. I don't think Alloa will have enough over 36 games to challenge for top 4. Who knows though, wouldn't put it past the Pars finishing 7th again!