The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

That's more like the Ben Hall we know.

7B8AEFED-2235-4F0F-84AF-D5A711C59E1B.jpeg

Bodoe/Glimt gave some of the best coaching materclasses as they brushed aside Celtic and Roma these past two years. No stars as such, just a squad of players coached and organised perfectly. They simply passed their way through near enough every team they met.

They seem to be doing the same thing again.

We've just qualified for the next round of the league cup, beating and knocking out a Premiership club along the way (Hibs wouldn't have qualified even without the 3 point deduction) . I should be really up for the new league season ahead but my enthusiasm is as flat as a witch's tit. Why? 4 games played, 1 goal scored from open play. Where oh where oh where are the goals going to come from?

While I am no where near as concerned as I was last season after Sheerin's appointment, I still think that we are in for a long hard season. In the third tier. 

2 players could turn everything around. A creative midfielder and a 15-20 goal striker. Some posters are much more patient than me and seem prepared to wait until the 30th September deadline to get the "right" players in. F*ck that, I want them now!

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We've just qualified for the next round of the league cup, beating and knocking out a Premiership club along the way (Hibs wouldn't have qualified even without the 3 point deduction) . I should be really up for the new league season ahead but my enthusiasm is as flat as a witch's tit. Why? 4 games played, 1 goal scored from open play. Where oh where oh where are the goals going to come from?

While I am no where near as concerned as I was last season after Sheerin's appointment, I still think that we are in for a long hard season. In the third tier. 

2 players could turn everything around. A creative midfielder and a 15-20 goal striker. Some posters are much more patient than me and seem prepared to wait until the 30th September deadline to get the "right" players in. F*ck that, I want them now!

I don't see a long hard season at all. As it stands we won't lose many games but I don't see us winning many games by a barrowload either. We've gifted goals in recent seasons which has made it easy for sides this season that won't be the case and teams will actually have to play a bit to get past us.  We should be there or there about come may.

4 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Don’t recall him having any of the off field issues Griffiths had, seem more of a professional than that. Might be wrong tho 

It's a mute point anyway we couldn't get anywhere close to what he'll get down south, baring in mind he left Aberdeen for the conference league money is very much his game.

6 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Oh great, the 15-20 goal striker cliche raked out again. The top league goal scorer in all divisions in Scotland last season had 13 and he was a winger. So if there's a guy out there he won't be coming to us and scouts from all clubs must have missed him. We need goals from all over the park as does every other team. 

Some posters live in cuckoo land.

Guest Caractacus Potts
23 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Oh great, the 15-20 goal striker cliche raked out again. The top league goal scorer in all divisions in Scotland last season had 13 and he was a winger. So if there's a guy out there he won't be coming to us and scouts from all clubs must have missed him. We need goals from all over the park as does every other team. 

Some posters live in cuckoo land.

Mitch Megginson got 18 goals in League One last season. Nathan Austin got 18 goals in League Two. Michael McKenna got 15 in the Championship with Ol Shaw on 14.

Rory McAllister actually got 13 last season so still life in the old legs however wouldn’t come to a team too far from the North East. 

If we want to win the league we definitely need someone who is at the top of the scoring charts. Think we need another striker but happy to give Alegria a good chance. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Think JMcG is well aware that we need more options going forward, the lack of goals from open play in the league cup games have highlighted this. He will no doubt be trying to bring some more in, I suspect from the loan market. It may however be the case that we need some to go out the door before anymore come in.  We are still being hamstrung by last seasons poor decision making in the transfer/contract market.

10 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Think JMcG is well aware that we need more options going forward, the lack of goals from open play in the league cup games have highlighted this. He will no doubt be trying to bring some more in, I suspect from the loan market. It may however be the case that we need some to go out the door before anymore come in.  We are still being hamstrung by last seasons poor decision making in the transfer/contract market.

McGlynn stated he still wants a winger and a striker in, if it was a case of us needing someone to leave before that happened I reckon he would have stated it. He doesn't really mince his words. 

We've seen it talked about before that we want a squad of 24, we currently have 26 but 4 of those are really academy players so I doubt they'll be counted towards the tally. Then there's Kennedy who may have already been sent back to sevco. Ideally if some of the dross we still have could be moved on then we'd maybe see an extra player on top of the 2 we're already chasing. 

A lot of clubs will panic this week with the season starting on Saturday, hopefully they hamstring themselves when better players become available later in the window.

Edited by FFC 1876

As a comparison.

Airdrie currently have a squad of 15.

Dunfermline currently have a squad of 22 bolstered by a fair few academy players.

QOS currently have a squad of 26 and a good number of academy players in there.

Edited by FFC 1876

Guest Caractacus Potts
36 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Really wish we still had Anton Dowds. A crying shame how that panned out. 

Aidan Keena doesn’t appear to be doing too badly either! 

53 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As a comparison.

Airdrie currently have a squad of 15.

Airdrie may be short in terms of numbers, but I'd argue they are longer in quality, certainly in the forward areas. Gallagher/Smith/McGill are decent options up front, and to that they have just added Jamieson. Frizzell and McCabe are good players at this level and they have made, on paper, excellent signings in the likes of Rae and Ballantyne. Their team of last season gives lie to the idea that you need a 20+goalscorer to do anything. Gallagher was their top (regular) league goal scorer with 14 - good, but not amazing - and between them their three up top got 29. But they could also rely on goals from the likes of Easton, McInroy and Frizzell. McGlynn could reasonably ask from say Morrison, McGuffie, Nesbitt, playing regularly at this level for a combined total of perhaps upwards of 20/25 goals but there's nothing in any of their records to suggest he will get it. They all need to step up massively this season and actually start contributing something.

Our squad as it stands is of a fair size, but it looks very much like quantity over quality, certainly middle to front. A fair bit of padding with untested kids and still carrying the likes of Wilson, Ross, Malcolm. Sneddon. We'll be much improved defensively but last season's disaster is still having an impact in terms of recruitment and squad make-up.

6 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Airdrie may be short in terms of numbers, but I'd argue they are longer in quality, certainly in the forward areas. Gallagher/Smith/McGill are decent options up front, and to that they have just added Jamieson. Frizzell and McCabe are good players at this level and they have made, on paper, excellent signings in the likes of Rae and Ballantyne. Their team of last season gives lie to the idea that you need a 20+goalscorer to do anything. Gallagher was their top (regular) league goal scorer with 14 - good, but not amazing - and between them their three up top got 29. But they could also rely on goals from the likes of Easton, McInroy and Frizzell. McGlynn could reasonably ask from say Morrison, McGuffie, Nesbitt, playing regularly at this level for a combined total of perhaps upwards of 20/25 goals but there's nothing in any of their records to suggest he will get it. They all need to step up massively this season and actually start contributing something.

Our squad as it stands is of a fair size, but it looks very much like quantity over quality, certainly middle to front. A fair bit of padding with untested kids and still carrying the likes of Wilson, Ross, Malcolm. Sneddon. We'll be much improved defensively but last season's disaster is still having an impact in terms of recruitment and squad make-up.

With our CURRENT squad, I’d reckon we’d finish 15 points off Airdrie come season end. There’s just not a chance Mcglynn doesn’t add 2/3 in forward/striker areas