The Falkirk FC Thread

42 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Member of both B4L and Fss but that could be just Fss shortly, have had nothing from b4l in terms of AGM notes, updates on where the cash has/is going. Couldn’t make the fans meeting where the recent comments were made doesn’t come across well but will continue for now. 

More and more folk ditching b4l for the reasons you state above. No consultation with members and trying to dictate what players were brought in is just ludicrous. 

One snippet from the FSS Newsletter that might interest people:

PARTY AT THE PARS

When the new season’s fixtures came out recently, many Bairns would have scanned the list seeking our first clash with Dunfermline. We visit East End Park on 17 September, with eager memories of Stokes’s keepy-uppy, or Zak Rudden’s long Range “squiggler.” Whether or not new legends will be etched remains to be seen, but in anticipation of at least a good day out, FSS is talking to a large venue near the stadium about the possibility of a Bairns’ pre-match party. More to come soon, but put it in your diary. Jim Leishman balloons may be available…

32 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

T'is a wee bit harsh. We're not the only one's to have fallen for this shyster.

Mind you there were folk on these forums putting up warnings about this guy nearly ten years ago and yet here we are still falling for this charlatan.

24 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

PARTY AT THE PARS

When the new season’s fixtures came out recently, many Bairns would have scanned the list seeking our first clash with Dunfermline. We visit East End Park on 17 September, with eager memories of Stokes’s keepy-uppy, or Zak Rudden’s long Range “squiggler.” Whether or not new legends will be etched remains to be seen, but in anticipation of at least a good day out, FSS is talking to a large venue near the stadium about the possibility of a Bairns’ pre-match party. More to come soon, but put it in your diary. Jim Leishman balloons may be available…

One of the great days out for both supports.

My memory of the derby

Falkirk v Dunfermline 1971 - 0 -0 Extra time corner to Falkirk Watson Street exit.

Wind blowing towards the car park end and Wilson Hoggan about to take the corner.

Was at my usual stance 2nd crush barrier along 2nd in ( could see the 4 corners flags from there)

George Miller runs across shouts 'I'll take it' waves Andy Roxburgh, Alex Ferguson, Tam Young to the near post.

With that wonderful left foot Miller sends a fast spinning delivery that went out to the line 6 yard line and whipped in at the junction of the near post and bar into the net.

'Goal' direct from the corner. Arrol the Pars goalie standing having been crowded out by Roxburgh, Ferguson, Young standing with his head in his hands. Their players prostrated on the ground, crouching hands over their faces. Miller turns around toward the fans right in front of me arms outstretched in acknowledgment. Falkirk players all run towards him even Rennie the goalie from the railway end.

Brockville was going mental and ended up about 30 ft away with all the celebrations. Rust raining down from the covered terracing roof just joyous mayhem all over the ground stand, enclosure, terracing. At that moment I had never heard Brockville so loud or since - what a sound - what an atmosphere - what a goal from one of the all-time great Falkirk players and teams.

What an abiding memory of my 50+ years supporting Falkirk.

Happy memory and what supporting your local team is all about.

Took 4 pints in the Royal Bar after words to get over it.

14 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

My memory of the derby

Falkirk v Dunfermline 1971 - 0 -0 Extra time corner to Falkirk Watson Street exit.

Wind blowing towards the car park end and Wilson Hoggan about to take the corner.

Was at my usual stance 2nd crush barrier along 2nd in ( could see the 4 corners flags from there)

George Miller runs across shouts 'I'll take it' waves Andy Roxburgh, Alex Ferguson, Tam Young to the near post.

With that wonderful left foot Miller sends a fast spinning delivery that went out to the line 6 yard line and whipped in at the junction of the near post and bar into the net.

'Goal' direct from the corner. Arrol the Pars goalie standing having been crowded out by Roxburgh, Ferguson, Young standing with his head in his hands. Their players prostrated on the ground, crouching hands over their faces. Miller turns around toward the fans right in front of me arms outstretched in acknowledgment. Falkirk players all run towards him even Rennie the goalie from the railway end.

Brockville was going mental and ended up about 30 ft away with all the celebrations. Rust raining down from the covered terracing roof just joyous mayhem all over the ground stand, enclosure, terracing. At that moment I had never heard Brockville so loud or since - what a sound - what an atmosphere - what a goal from one of the all-time great Falkirk players and teams.

Miller or Millar? 

One of my abiding memories of the derby was the 1993/94 season,  my memory isn’t that great but I’m pretty sure it was the first game of the season.

In a previous life I had a job that involved me getting into Brockville free, it  involved me wearing a black uniform with a black/white checked bunnet.

I’ve supported Falkirk for nearly 50 years and it was well known amongst the gaffers, that I was Falkirk daft, the good guys would give me a position where I could see the game, normally at the trackside at cooperage lane/ stand side corner, the not so good guys would send me up Grahams Road or leave me on car park duty outside.

For the game against the Pars that day I was left outside to patrol the streets around the ground, to say I was pissed off was a massive understatement. With about 20 to go things we’re getting a bit heated between both sets of fans at the choir segregation fence so I got the call to come in along with a couple of colleagues to stand at the fence on the FFC side. I was ecstatic and in the ground like a shot.

The crowd were giving each other pelters  but I was too busy watching the game. With seconds to go the ball came over and Yogi rose like a salmon to put a header past the fifer keeper and the place absolutely erupted. I lost my shit and before I knew it I had a hold of the segregation fence which I began shaking whilst telling the opposing fans staring at me to “get it right up you, ya Fifer b@stards”. When I came to my senses there was a line of Fifers standing open mouthed staring and pointing at me. I quickly merged into the crowd and disappeared up the back of the terracing.

I had loads of great days working at the games and used to regularly celebrate Falkirk goals with the regulars at the cooperage lane corner. 

Ah the good/bad old days 😁

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Best goal I’ve ever seen was also by George Miller against Rangers on New Year’s Day 1971. I was in the stand enclosure with my pal between the home dug out and the Watson Street end. Falkirk got a free kick just outside the box to the right hand side as we looked at it at the Hope Street end. Rangers lined up their wall and Miller and Ferguson were apparently arguing as to who was going to take it. Culminated with Miller throwing his hands in the air and stomping off to the left in disgust. Took about 4-5 steps and turned. Ferguson slipped it to him and Miller blasted it into the net. A brilliant piece of trickery that I’ve never seen bettered. Sadly overshadowed next day with the Ibrox disaster

Edited by Big Wur
Misspelt name

Guest Ecosse83

Slightly surprised Mcglynn has a bigger budget than last season but hopefully that means plenty of wheeling and dealing to be done before the season starts. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

My memory of the derby

I think maybe your memory's playing tricks on you a bit mate? Miller did score against Dunfermline at Brockville in 1971 but it was in the 88th minute to make the score 3-2. Young had replaced Fergie as a substitute too. Is this game that you're meaning? 

I took the above from 'Better Meddle' as I have no recollection of it whatsoever (despite the strong probability that I would have been there), so I've no idea if his goal was directly from a corner either?

24 minutes ago, Big Wur said:

Best goal I’ve ever seen was also by George Miller against Rangers on New Year’s Day 1971. I was in the stand enclosure with my pal between the home dug out and the Watson Street end. Falkirk got a free kick just outside the box to the right hand side as we looked at it at the Hope Street end. Rangers lined up their wall and Miller and Ferguson were apparently arguing as to who was going to take it. Culminated with Miller throwing his hands in the air and stomping off to the left in disgust. Took about 4-5 steps and turned. Ferguson slipped it to him and Miller blasted it into the net. A brilliant piece of trickery that I’ve never seen bettered. Sadly overshadowed next day with the Ibrox disaster

I have a slightly stronger recollection of that match. I do remember a goal like the one you describe, although I couldn't have said it was in that game. I do recall that the pitch was like an ice rink and the players wearing trainers rather than boots to compensate though and I also could have sworn that Wilson Hoggan scored twice, but he didn't!

25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think maybe your memory's playing tricks on you a bit mate? Miller did score against Dunfermline at Brockville in 1971 but it was in the 88th minute to make the score 3-2. Young had replaced Fergie as a substitute too. Is this game that you're meaning? 

I took the above from 'Better Meddle' as I have no recollection of it whatsoever (despite the strong probability that I would have been there), so I've no idea if his goal was directly from a corner either?

I might be wrong as I was only 13. Think Andy Roxburgh may have scored the other two goals.

2 hours ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

PARTY AT THE PARS

Drop the balloon patter, it was a match to forget.

57 minutes ago, Big Wur said:

Remember that game and chilling to know I was standing beside or near individuals who unknowingly were hearing the last final whistle of their lives. Was a shock to me and my mates and was a growing up moment. We sat round the fire in the Royal Hotel Bar that night had a few pints, hardly spoke a word and drifted home one by one each with our own thoughts with the families and friends of the Rangers support at that moment.