The Falkirk FC Thread

When you look at some of the shite still under contract Charlie Telfer is better than a lot of them. However he was also an underachiever, sometimes you just need to totally clear the decks. At least if he decides to chuck it at some point he's got a career ahead of him, pretty sure I read somewhere he's got a law degree. 

Telfer is better than some of those still under contract at the club. However, like them, he ultimately isn't good enough for what we need. Both can be true. 

He showed sparks of being a really talented player, but it was all too infrequent. 

Guest Caractacus Potts

Think McGinn is a great signing. Would rather get in quality like that and have tireless workers surrounding them than a team of players who think their League One superstars. Won’t know how things pan out till we see the team play but more positive that McGlynn knows what we need to escape this league than any of the last lot. 

There’s no doubt that Telfer was easily our most talent player last season however for me he didn’t show his ability often enough - a guy with that level of ability should have stood out in the 3rd Division in every game.

Granted, Holt’s terrible recruitment and Sheerin and Rennie’s garbage tactics won’t have helped him but I wanted to see him grab control of games more.

Would he have benefitted from playing with McGinn who would likely have been on his wavelength ability wise - probably however we just need to trust McGlynn who didn’t see him as part of his plans and let the manager build his own team.

Am I excited about next season ? Not quite yet but I’m closer to being excited than I have been in 3 or 4 years (I never bought into all the bullshit around ‘Don’ Hartley) so that must be a good thing ?

14 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Yep but it's been closed for over 2 years now

Yeah, I was sent to do a maintenance there yesterday and after fannying about for an hour looking for keys from the council, I opened the shutters to realise that the place was fully abandoned and had definitely been broken in to. Anyone know why it shut down?

1 minute ago, Dalgety Rover said:

Yeah, I was sent to do a maintenance there yesterday and after fannying about for an hour looking for keys from the council, I opened the shutters to realise that the place was fully abandoned and had definitely been broken in to. Anyone know why it shut down?

Something to do with the cost of replacing the heating being 600k+ 

Christ,  still bumming up Telfer after a handful of good games in 3 seasons. Always other players faults...aye decent on the ball but without it he was outmuscled and chasing shadows against part time players, who were pacier and stronger. Really glad he's away, we can get better than him.

7 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Christ,  still bumming up Telfer after a handful of good games in 3 seasons. Always other players faults...aye decent on the ball but without it he was outmuscled and chasing shadows against part time players, who were pacier and stronger. Really glad he's away, we can get better than him.

We played him out of position all season last year, had him sitting far too deep to affect the game. He should have been playing as the 10 but due to our horrendous recruitment he was left trying to do it all in the middle of the park. Just imagine having to try play in the middle of the park with Gary Miller & Steven Hetherington? 

Edited by FFC 1876

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We played him out of position all season last year, had him sitting far too deep to affect the game. He should have been playing as the 10 but due to our horrendous recruitment he was left trying to do it all in the middle of the park. Just imagine having to try play in the middle of the park with Gary Miller & Steven Hetherington? 

Even in our half decent side two years ago though he was seldom turning it on.  Gomis was still very competent then and should've been able to get the best out of him but it was once in a blue moon he turned it on.

18 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Jesus wept! Of course there are pacier and stronger players than Telfer. It's about complementing players abilities with other players in the team. He had to do fuckin everything for himself last season. Maybe you didn't notice?

2 minutes ago, Jackie Myles said:

Even in our half decent side two years ago though he was seldom turning it on.  Gomis was still very competent then and should've been able to get the best out of him but it was once in a blue moon he turned it on.

He was one of our only players the last few seasons that was capable of going and winning a game for us. With the 20 players we currently have signed up for next season you can only really say that about Callumn Morrison at the moment. Still plenty of work to be done right enough.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He was one of our only players the last few seasons that was capable of going and winning a game for us. With the 20 players we currently have signed up for next season you can only really say that about Callumn Morrison at the moment. Still plenty of work to be done right enough.

Capable yes but didn't do it more than 3 or 4 times a season unfortunately if that. When he first arrived he ran the show at Ayr United in a league cup game and I thought wow what a player he's going to be in league one.  However, we only saw that telfer on a handful of occasions.  That's why he was in league one and not playing at a higher level. Bags of talent but no confidence or desperation to use it.

18 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

All this Telfer superstar chat is making me chuckle.
How quickly our supporters forget….

I don't see anybody saying he was or is a superstar. He was however our best midfielder by some distance last season and, as I said, given we need to build a squad, he would be a good addition to it. Not necessarily a starter but definitely an option.

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't see anybody saying he was or is a superstar. He was however our best midfielder by some distance last season and, as I said, given we need to build a squad, he would be a good addition to it. Not necessarily a starter but definitely an option.

Depends then what kind of contract he was on or wanted mind you. I'd expect he would've had to take a wage cut if only seen as a squad player and might have thought he'd get better elsewhere anyway.🤷

Last point i'll make on Telfer as football's opinion based so of course we're not all going to agree. Here's the stats from the rest of the centre midfielders/attacking midfielders in the league last season. Tried my best to keep it to players who played centrally.

Dylan Easton - 8 goals, 9 assists
Charlie Telfer - 5 goals, 8 assists
Luca Connell - 7 goals, 5 assists
Stefan Scougall - 4 goals, 8 assists
Fraser Fyvie - 8 goals, 2 assists
Grant Savoury - 6 goals, 4 assists
Scott Brown - 6 goals, 3 assists
Rhys Mccabe - 5 goals, 4 assists
Adam Frizzell - 3 goals, 5 assists

Edited by FFC 1876