The Falkirk FC Thread

I'd like to see us push the boat out a bit next season, even if Hibs are still in the Championship, I think playing it 'safe' next season would see a reaction from the majority of punters and not just the knicker-wetters.

Will be a lot easier to do of course if we don't spunk all our cash this season.

I certainly don't envy them their position, must be difficult managing the books and peoples expectations - long term though the job is about keeping the club on a sound financial footing and they certainly appear to be doing that - I personally would be concerned, and more critical, if we were splashing the cash this season.

Let's not underestimate what part the club played in fuelling that great feeling. As for harnessing that goodwill then, again, personally I don't see that they've done that much wrong - I know that they missed out on a couple of key-ring sales by not opening the shop on the Monday after the Cup Final and they somehow didn't foresee that they'd sell more jerseys in one day than they did for all of last season - idiots! (Really nice jerseys BTW, perhaps the nicest since 91 !?)

I guess they should have punted the manager that got us to that Final then appointed one of the outstanding out-of-work managers that were available for peanuts and given him a big budget in order to compete with two clubs with more financial clout than us - as well as opening the shop on the Monday.

You were doing ok till letting yourself down with your flippant answer in the last paragraph.

You say the Board are doing a good job balancing the books and that is their role. Let examine that in more detail.

The former Chairman has said on numerous occasion that without player sales it will lose 300-400k every season playing in this league. Where does that leave us really long term? What happens when/if the conveyor belt of talent dries up? A few season without a cup run? More stagnation. He openly admits it only wipes its face if it can get into the top league. So why the stagnation of the last five years?

People go to football mainly I suggest to be entertained and see their club win and progress. At Falkirk recently that has not really been the case but the support has stayed very loyal. I agree with you that if next season we don't "have a go" we will get a reaction from supporters. However the powers that be have made an excuse every year since they came down about being out spent by someone. Dunfermilne, Ross County, Partick, Dundee, the big three last season, Sevco and Hibs this. I admire your optimism on the fact they will go for it next season. Their track record doesn't give me the same feeling. We can live in hope I suppose.

How much was Farid, Taylor and Loy etc. on when they were with us? Absolute nonsense if you think we aren't paying that now

There are players out there desperate to prove themselves, especially players down south who ultimately will not make the grade.

Unfortunately for us, we haven't looked hard enough over the last 12 months

I completely agree with the above.

Doesn't need to be players from England either, there's talent in the Seaside leagues as shown by Dundee United signing Robertson, Spittal and now Murray. Plenty other clubs have done likewise. Going to watch these players would require a modicum of effort though as opposed to signing the latest player not deemed good enough for Hibs.

I completely agree with the above.

Doesn't need to be players from England either, there's talent in the Seaside leagues as shown by Dundee United signing Robertson, Spittal and now Murray. Plenty other clubs have done likewise. Going to watch these players would require a modicum of effort though as opposed to signing the latest player not deemed good enough for Hibs.

Wouldn't Dundee Utd have paid fees for these players? I think they paid something like £50k for Murray in the summer. It's a good idea but it would definitely involve money we don't have/won't spend

You were doing ok till letting yourself down with your flippant answer in the last paragraph.

You say the Board are doing a good job balancing the books and that is their role. Let examine that in more detail.

The former Chairman has said on numerous occasion that without player sales it will lose 300-400k every season playing in this league. Where does that leave us really long term? What happens when/if the conveyor belt of talent dries up? A few season without a cup run? More stagnation. He openly admits it only wipes its face if it can get into the top league. So why the stagnation of the last five years?

People go to football mainly I suggest to be entertained and see their club win and progress. At Falkirk recently that has not really been the case but the support has stayed very loyal. I agree with you that if next season we don't "have a go" we will get a reaction from supporters. However the powers that be have made an excuse every year since they came down about being out spent by someone. Dunfermilne, Ross County, Partick, Dundee, the big three last season, Sevco and Hibs this. I admire your optimism on the fact they will go for it next season. Their track record doesn't give me the same feeling. We can live in hope I suppose.

I'm in your camp too about having optimism for spending next year because there will always be teams willing to invest more heavily than us.

I've not seen anything that would lead me to believe that we have a planned strategy to keep all our money in the bank and then we'll go for it when the timing is right, I guess you could understand more if you thought that was the case.

Even if there was a restructure, I think we would struggle to spend to ensure we get into the top league, when a club has a mentality like ours (thrifty, frugal etc) as we have just now, we would only see a change of direction if there were wholesale changes at the top and there is no guarantee that would happen anytime soon.

There is a big difference between not having the funds to invest and choosing not to do so...

Edited by bejazz1

I'm sure Hibs will at least fill the North stand wether it be the Saturday or the Tuesday.

Do you remember the Hibs crowd when we beat them 1-0 at home?

That was a Saturday too.

What do you have to suggest on an October weeknight that Hibs will bring through 2000?

Certainly our crowd will drop and we are only travelling a few miles.

I've no idea what TV football is on the night we play them, but we always seem to try to compete with a belter of a game.

ETA this game is now on the same night as Champions league match day 3.

Kidding ourselves on if you reckon this decision hasn't cost us around 2000 fans.

Edited by Gaz FFC

The flippancy of the last paragraph was merited - the criticism of the club since the Cup Final has been fairly bemusing to watch.

Has it? In terms of what? Failing to capitalise at all on the cup final? Same ST sales as last year a Director told me this week. Lost opportunity for me. Not expecting a huge uplift but none at all?

Anyone still worried about St Mirren after tonight? Anyone believe Dumbarton (as excellent as they have started) will last the pace. Anyone actually worried about Dunfermline NEXT season????

Berating the manager and board because Dunfermline (subject to gaining promotion) may challenge us next season. That's pant shitting right there.

Has it? In terms of what? Failing to capitalise at all on the cup final? Same ST sales as last year a Director told me this week. Lost opportunity for me. Not expecting a huge uplift but none at all?

The club was inventive and extremely pro-active on social media ahead of the final and continued as best they could given there was f'ck all happening in Scottish football following it - Season tickets are the same price as last season and were available reasonably early, with early bird prices to boot.

I'm sure they could have been a bit quicker at getting the STs available to sell but not to the point where they deserve criticism for it.

What would you have done differently?

The club was inventive and extremely pro-active on social media ahead of the final and continued as best they could given there was f'ck all happening in Scottish football following it - Season tickets are the same price as last season and were available reasonably early, with early bird prices to boot.

I'm sure they could have been a bit quicker at getting the STs available to sell but not to the point where they deserve criticism for it.

What would you have done differently?

I don't think you could criticise the marketing side. The "family" pish grates but that is a personal choice and some of the schemes are just scams eg write a message on the tunnel is just garbage.

The club had to build on the momentum and try and keep people interested. What would have interested them? A couple of players who were going to excite the support would have been a start. I also think the hollow words from the chairman about getting promoted should have been backed up with some actions. If it is not this year tell the punters some sort of timescale. Just be open, transparent and above all honest.

Anyone still worried about St Mirren after tonight? Anyone believe Dumbarton (as excellent as they have started) will last the pace. Anyone actually worried about Dunfermline NEXT season????Berating the manager and board because Dunfermline (subject to gaining promotion) may challenge us next season. That's pant shitting right there.

After Tuesday no one is worried about us for sure. You are deluding yourself if you think we are any better than mediocre