Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

Whilst it’s all fun and games Dunfermline coming down, it’s going to make this league extremely difficult, and to even make the plays off will be a tough ask without investment. It’s been stated we must get out this league next year, and I don’t see that happening I’m afraid. Don’t want to be Mr doom and gloom, I just don’t see where the money is coming from to get the players we need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Whilst it’s all fun and games Dunfermline coming down, it’s going to make this league extremely difficult, and to even make the plays off will be a tough ask without investment. It’s been stated we must get out this league next year, and I don’t see that happening I’m afraid. Don’t want to be Mr doom and gloom, I just don’t see where the money is coming from to get the players we need.

The money is coming from us the supporters buying season tickets. If we don't back the new board and management team then we won't get anywhere it's as simple as that. Mcglynn has already shown he can make the very most of his budget whilst at Raith so we need to give him every chance next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The money is coming from us the supporters buying season tickets. If we don't back the new board and management team then we won't get anywhere it's as simple as that. Mcglynn has already shown he can make the very most of his budget whilst at Raith so we need to give him every chance next season.

And he’ll have my season ticket money. Myself and my group said we only wouldn’t renew if Miller or Rennie was in charge so we’re true to our word. I really hope all other ST holders do the same, if they can afford to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Whilst it’s all fun and games Dunfermline coming down, it’s going to make this league extremely difficult, and to even make the plays off will be a tough ask without investment. It’s been stated we must get out this league next year, and I don’t see that happening I’m afraid. Don’t want to be Mr doom and gloom, I just don’t see where the money is coming from to get the players we need.

This.

Dunfermline coming down has really affected the dynamics of the league for next season.

Our best signing this season won't be McGlynn (who I don't want for his involvement in the Goodwillie signing), a new #10 or a new striker, it will be whoever the board are able to convince to put some substantial money into the club's coffers. Whether that is an additional consortium of some sorts or some mega wealthy sugar daddy, who knows. I am now much more pessimistic of our chances of going up next season.

Edited by Bairn in Exile
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This.

Dunfermline coming down has really affected the dynamics of the league for next season.

Our best signing this season won't be McGlynn (who I don't want for his involvement in the Goodwillie signing), a new central midfielder, a new #10 or a new striker, it will be whoever the board are able to convince to put some substantial money into the club's coffers. Whether that is an additional consortium of some sorts or some mega wealthy sugar daddy, who knows. I am now much more pessimistic of our chances of going up next season.

Spot on, the supporters need to back the club in serious numbers if we are to get near the likes of Scumfermlines budget. 

A couple of real decent early signings ex” GK CBs CFs will be a huge positive by the BD, and would be backed by early STs. 

In parallel the BD also need to demonstrate that their using their own expertise, contacts, and experience in attracting new investment & Sponsors.  Can we find another Rawlings type investment? Can we get our main sponsors (Central) back? [add, getting rid off at least four/five under contract]

No doubt very difficult times ahead but not insurmountable.
 



 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They both did great jobs and I'm sure Hughes managerially would be seen in a better light by many if he hadn't hawked himself about to other clubs in his last year or so and then spat the dummy out when we quite rightly wouldn't let him go to Hibs for nothing. Houstie was great tactically and excellent at getting more out of other people's signings but surprisingly enough for someone who worked as a scout his own recruitment was dire.  Latapy great player and a joy to watch bit did struggle in the winter months. No surprise his worst season was the dreadful stenny one when the pitch turned into a quagmire with two sides playing on it. Great memories of all 3 .

Yes it was sad how it ended for them and other great players that pulled on the Falkirk jersey when they went on to manage the club like George Miller and John Prentice. Remembered more for that than what they did on the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Every season under Hughes our record between the turn of the year and the split was absolutely awful mainly due to latapy struggling in the cold weather and heavy pitches. 

Housties recruitment year on year was poor in the main unfortunately. The team regressed continually  due to this and was going to struggle eventually. When you are replacing the likes of vaulks with an absolute diddy in John Rankin and the likes of Alston with Alex Harris then you are going to have major problems. Yes you can't replace with the same quality but you need to do a lot better than that. Him announcing his retirement and Rory Loy turning into Jaime Wilson created the perfect storm unfortunately.

I think you're being really unfair on Houston there tbh. For a start, Rankin was not a replacement for Vaulks and Harris was not a replacement for Alston. He also brought in players that were key in our 2nd place pushed in both 15/16 and 16/17, John Baird, Mark Kerr, Lee Miller, Myles Hippolyte etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Whilst it’s all fun and games Dunfermline coming down, it’s going to make this league extremely difficult, and to even make the plays off will be a tough ask without investment. It’s been stated we must get out this league next year, and I don’t see that happening I’m afraid. Don’t want to be Mr doom and gloom, I just don’t see where the money is coming from to get the players we need.

I fear Cove more than Dunfermline and Airdrie more than QOS to be honest.

QOS and Dunfemrline will most likely have total rebuilds (similar to us) and Kelty will need investment to compete as their current squad isn't anything other than a solid League 1 team.

If Airdire stay down that is still who I'd fear the most if they keep their squad together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This.

Dunfermline coming down has really affected the dynamics of the league for next season.

Our best signing this season won't be McGlynn (who I don't want for his involvement in the Goodwillie signing), a new #10 or a new striker, it will be whoever the board are able to convince to put some substantial money into the club's coffers. Whether that is an additional consortium of some sorts or some mega wealthy sugar daddy, who knows. I am now much more pessimistic of our chances of going up next season.

Before castigating mcglynn for the goodwillie signing you'd be better off trying to find out what actually happened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Before castigating mcglynn for the goodwillie signing you'd be better off trying to find out what actually happened. 

Happy to be enlightened Shadwell, what do you know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

 

If Airdire stay down that is still who I'd fear the most if they keep their squad together.

You would imagine going up is the only way they keep Ian Murray. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bairn in Exile said:

Happy to be enlightened Shadwell, what do you know?

What do you know Bairn In Exile? Maybe you can enlighten us about the goings on at Raith! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Happy to be enlightened Shadwell, what do you know?

I know that it was the Raith chairman who pushed through the deal when mcglynn was against it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rennieball said:

I think you're being really unfair on Houston there tbh. For a start, Rankin was not a replacement for Vaulks and Harris was not a replacement for Alston. He also brought in players that were key in our 2nd place pushed in both 15/16 and 16/17, John Baird, Mark Kerr, Lee Miller, Myles Hippolyte etc. 

So who were the replacements then? Craigen who hardly kicked a ball? Joe McKee who was brutal in the main.  The vast majority of his signings were rotten. Taylor Morgan , Rory boulding, Alex cooper, David Smith, Harris,  tudur Jones, Kevin McCann, Ryan sinnamon, Fraser aird, gasparotto, John Rankin to name but a few.  You can count his really good ones on a fifers hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I fear Cove more than Dunfermline and Airdrie more than QOS to be honest.

QOS and Dunfemrline will most likely have total rebuilds (similar to us) and Kelty will need investment to compete as their current squad isn't anything other than a solid League 1 team.

If Airdire stay down that is still who I'd fear the most if they keep their squad together.

I want Airdrie to stay down as I think we may be interested in a few of their players with a bit of luck.  Them getting promoted though would make that a struggle .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I fear Cove more than Dunfermline and Airdrie more than QOS to be honest.

QOS and Dunfemrline will most likely have total rebuilds (similar to us) and Kelty will need investment to compete as their current squad isn't anything other than a solid League 1 team.

If Airdire stay down that is still who I'd fear the most if they keep their squad together.

The appointment of an actual, experienced management team combined with a decent summer of recruitment (plus a departure or five) and I'd really, really like to think we might finally be in a position where we are no longer "fearing" any opposition in the third tier of Scottish football. The craven, shitebag, "very, very, very tough league" mentality fostered by McKinnon, then "M and M", then Sheerin, then Rennie, needs binned - immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You would imagine going up is the only way they keep Ian Murray. 

Where do you think Murray will go? He's jumped ship and been burned before and to me there doesn't seem any pressing need for him to leave Airdrie - all parties look happy and he's building a strong core of a squad there. Obviously if a Champ club comes in for him he'll be tempted but I'm not convinced he'll leave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Moonster said:

Where do you think Murray will go? He's jumped ship and been burned before and to me there doesn't seem any pressing need for him to leave Airdrie - all parties look happy and he's building a strong core of a squad there. Obviously if a Champ club comes in for him he'll be tempted but I'm not convinced he'll leave. 

The bold bit is jist of my assumption that he'll probably move on if Airdrie dont become such a club themselves. 

Money talk, despite what various Airdrie fans have insisted on this thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...