The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Physicality isn't just about height, it should help obviously but just ask Tom Taiwo, Mark Millar or even Hagi if you will. McCann loses a few headers because of his height but I can't say i've ever seen him as lightweight, doesn't really get pushed around just targeted for long balls from time to time. Williamson's 6ft odds and loses more headers and tackles than McCann so i'm not buying that taller is better.

One of the best players in the air to pull a Falkirk jersey on was not the tallest but he could time a jump and had an uncanny sense of the position to take the number of times he headed a ball of the line is countless.

The one and only Tiger McLaughlin !

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I think the odds for the next Raith manager show we've probably picked up the best man available 

265931708_ScreenShot2022-05-05at15_24_01.thumb.png.74996baa0a7d0f4b56f0f36936de3593.png

Considering a fortnight ago I had a genuine fear Kenny Miller might get it, I'd say we've done okay.

The majority of McGlyn’s loan signings were lacklustre to say the least. Personally I’m glad he’s gone. Much as I like him as a bloke, his record is nothing special. He seems to have lost the plot over the last few months and I’m afraid he may be turning into another Yogi. I feel sorry for the Bairns as I think this appointment may well turn sour very quickly. Good luck!

Bitter

29 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

Bitter

Tbh mcglynns use of loans was actually a strong point of his.  Some of the best players we had during his reign came through loans with quite a few signing on permanently. He has a tendency for a wildcard or two (Mendy, Riley-Snow) but no manager gets it right all the time.  He’ll do the business for yous in league 1.

Just want to say that the Raith fans here recently have been very decent in their behaviour. You've said goodbye to a manager who did a good job for you and who is now across the Forth at what was once a rival, have been sporting about it all, made good posts about what to expect from our new manager, while refraining from repetitive jibes or jokes as stale as a three week old pan loaf.

For that, thank you :)

Still enjoy reminiscing about the 7-1  thrashing we dished out at Frank Connor's going away party in 1990 , just wanted to say ;)

All the best - hope our seasons turn out to be brilliant

45 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

All the best - hope our seasons turn out to be brilliant

I think it's fair to say there is more chance of that for you than for us. 

I'll be following McGlynn's summer dealings with interest as I expect him to pick up a few with Rovers links beyond the out of contract players already linked.

Now that League Cup regionalisation has been scrapped you just know we'll be drawn in the same group. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

9 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

We'd have to confirm with Raith fans but I'm sure Mcglynn loves himself a 4-2-3-1. As unpopular as it is I reckon Hetherington will be given a shot this season under Mcglynn even if it is just as back up. Mccann as well will be back in. Williamson may well be moved on as he's horrendous defensively, mentioned it before but if there aren't any takers for him I'd like to see him move one up as he's got a good delivery on him.

New
New New New Mccann
New New
Williamson New Morrison
New

Reckon he’ll maybe be more of a 3-5-2 sometimes, if he can get some FB’s who can run and cross. He likes to switch between two and three CB, and had the FB’s to do it with us the last couple of years. For teams with less offensive threat, the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 is more likely. One concern will be his love of a single striker up top, because too many attackers at these levels can’t pull that off. He is also a midfield diamond fan, if he can find a key midfielder to run it like Hendry did…usually keys off a DM with good skills.

22 hours ago, Oberon43 said:

The majority of McGlyn’s loan signings were lacklustre to say the least. Personally I’m glad he’s gone. Much as I like him as a bloke, his record is nothing special. He seems to have lost the plot over the last few months and I’m afraid he may be turning into another Yogi. I feel sorry for the Bairns as I think this appointment may well turn sour very quickly. Good luck!

Quite possibly one of the stupidest post on this matter. Let’s review:

2021-2022 Loanees:

Mackie - Played decent to well, depending on the match. Played in 7 of 11 possible matches, starting over half.

Williamson - Worked hard and well for us, would love to see again. Played 14 of 17 matches, missing two due to suspension and one for injury, started nearly all of them.

Varian - Worked tirelessly, not a good finisher or scorer, but made the team better.  Played 32 of 36, mostly starting.

Poplatnik - Great player for us, was played too little because of Varian, would happily retain. Played in 31 of 36 matches, mostly as a second half sub for Varian.

Fotheringham - Middling player, showed potential and then got injured. Played 5 of 8, mainly as a sub.

Thats 2 great loans, 2 good loans and 1 meh…but all played quite a bit.

2020-2021 Loanees:

Cooney - Brought in as emergency cover at FB/CB, generally unneeded and played little. Appeared, barely, in 2 of 5.

King - Played a decent amount, but failed to impress or properly settle in. Appeared in 10 of 16, with some starts.

Abraham - A total waste of a loan. 7 of 16 for little time.

Gullan - Pretty decent loan, enough we moved to sign him the next year. 12 of 15, missing the three for injury, mostly starting.

Kennedy - Solid little player, started in fire and then got marked out of it. 24 of 27, mostly starting.

That’s 2 great loans, 1 decent, 1 turd and 1 just in case.

Thats enough to disprove the assertion, I think. And, for the FFC types, you’re getting a great deal with Smudger (Paul Smith) coming over too…just keep his partner at arms length from the club!

Edited by TxRover

Well, it’s hard to imagine a worse loan player track record than ours. Recently, Mills and Kabia certainly looked decent, but we seemed to have all manner of loan players who never kicked a ball even after their initial appearances showed a bit of promise…..Krasniqi being the last example of it.

I would say that the majority of the support aren’t deliriously happy (yet), but McGlynn’s appointment has certainly brought about a massive sigh of relief that Project MR wasn’t replaced by Project KM. The club needs to find its identity all over again, and turning to McGlynn certainly feels as though the brakes have finally been applied to the rank stupidity of the last few years.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Reckon he’ll maybe be more of a 3-5-2 sometimes, if he can get some FB’s who can run and cross. He likes to switch between two and three CB, and had the FB’s to do it with us the last couple of years. For teams with less offensive threat, the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 is more likely. One concern will be his love of a single striker up top, because too many attackers at these levels can’t pull that off. He is also a midfield diamond fan, if he can find a key midfielder to run it like Hendry did…usually keys off a DM with good skills.

So Spencer as the sitter in the diamond then? Surprised Telfer's not been retained to play as the 10, he maybe had better offers. Our current fullbacks Williamson and Mccann are better going forward than they are defensively but I hate the 5 at the back especially in this league.

Edited by FFC 1876

11 hours ago, MrDust said:

Cummings mentioned in the same breath as them is laughable, his career was over the day he left the Scottish 2nd tier, forest being the mugs to pay actual cash for him.

Isn't he in Australia now, most players are 34/35+ going there

Relegating Fife clubs ?

Not sure, I will have a look, Australia is an island so I will probably just bump into him down the shops (Inbetweeners joke) 

20 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

So Spencer as the sitter in the diamond then? Surprised Telfer's not been retained to play as the 10, he maybe had better offers. Our current fullbacks Williamson and Mccann are better going forward than they are defensively but I hate the 5 at the back especially in this league.

Losing Tait and Spencer coincided with the start of our “rough” patch, so midfield will probably be an initial primary focus of JMcG/PS. If they bring Spencer, yes, he’ll coordinate the midfield….but League One is definitely below his level.

Scott Arfield and Stephen Kingsley both reaching major finals, and Murray Wallace winning POTY at Millwall. These guys might well have gone on to do well regardless of their time at Falkirk, but there should be no doubt that the closure of the academy was an absolute tragedy on a scale that couldn’t be fully appreciated at the time. It will take years, but I really hope the club can develop a youth system that can be even a fraction of the last.