The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Dixon is right in everything he's saying there TBF apart from sounding like he wished Sheerin hadn't been emptied. Pretty unprofessional to be coming out with that sort of stuff while still under contract. 

More than 50k a year on Paul Watson is stunning to me. Good on him for taking the money but we shouldn't be handing out deals like that unless Will Vaulks fancies more nights out in Sportsters every week.

It's not just the injury but he'll obviously miss pre-season and even if he makes the timeframe to return he'll need to be brough back up to speed. One of the few members of the squad I'd have kept on so it's particularly frustrating.

Will be lucky if he makes the last 1/4 of next season

4 hours ago, Trump said:

We’ve only had a few games of Mills and Watson in a back 4.

Clyde 1-1 Falkirk, conceding that stupid last minute goal.

Falkirk 3-1 East Fife.

Dumbarton 0-2 Falkirk.

The other times they’ve played together have either been in the back 3/5, or that Airdrie humping when Rennie inexplicably played Mills as a holding midfielder with Brad McKay alongside Watson.

They’ve not played the best opposition in those games, and would have been nice to have a better sample size to see what that would have been like against Cove, Airdrie, Montrose, Queens Park. What we do know is whenever McKay, Dixon, ATS have been at the back it’s been a bomb scare.

We’ll never know, and I don’t want Rennie here next season whatsoever, but I kinda see his point on this one.

Yes, he does have a point, but I suspect he will play it for all it’s worth in terms of explaining away recent results as well as those from this point forward if they prove to be really bad.

”First choice pairing” is not something I have heard from him previously, and as for the back line looking much “more secure than when he first arrived at the club”……a subjective statement not supported by the objective evidence……it has actually leaked more goals per game than Sheerin. Sheerin’s team conceded 23 in 16 games. MRs team have conceded 23 in 15 games.

If you wanted to manipulate the figures for 15 games, then Sheerin conceded 17 in 15 games to MRs 23 in 15 games. It was only that final 6-0 battering that took Sheerin up to 23 goals conceded in 16 games.

it’s not as if MRs defence has gradually improved. Conceding 7 goals in the last two home games tell a different story. Beaten 2-1 by Montrose away a couple of months back then beaten 0-3 by them last week is not a “more secure” storyline.

6 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Sammy also confirmed away on twitter earlier on with an advert posted looking to fill his role shortly after. Travel and personal reasons cited as the reason with him returning to his previous job.

Travelling from Ayrshire in this climate can’t be enjoyable. 

Now looking for an experienced commercial manager after appointing someone with no experience. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Travelling from Ayrshire in this climate can’t be enjoyable. 

Now looking for an experienced commercial manager after appointing someone with no experience. 

Feel sorry for him. Cynically appointed by Deans to try gain favour with the fans. 

Sure he gave it his all but will be an almost impossible job for someone with little experience to bring revenue in to the club in this current climate and like you say the travel must have added its toll(and expense). 

Hopefully he’s back at the stadium soon though to be in amongst the support. 

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Dixon is right in everything he's saying there TBF apart from sounding like he wished Sheerin hadn't been emptied. Pretty unprofessional to be coming out with that sort of stuff while still under contract. 

More than 50k a year on Paul Watson is stunning to me. Good on him for taking the money but we shouldn't be handing out deals like that unless Will Vaulks fancies more nights out in Sportsters every week.

It's not just the injury but he'll obviously miss pre-season and even if he makes the timeframe to return he'll need to be brough back up to speed. One of the few members of the squad I'd have kept on so it's particularly frustrating.

Hard to think you’ll be playing us diddies next season neeb eh , mind when we started our quest n you handing out the pelters n here we are 

Mon Kelty 

1. Commercial manager departs 
2. Supporters Society board member departs 
3. The Rennie disaster 
4. The recent youth team disaster 
5. A shocking January transfer window 

Hardly a brilliant start for the new board. Be hard pushed to change this over the course of the summer and convince fans to buy season tickets. 

3. The Rennie disaster 
Hardly a brilliant start for the new board. Be hard pushed to change this over the course of the summer and convince fans to buy season tickets. 

Add to that list being very very close to signing Goodwillie (causing the board member resignations) and all the negatives that that would have involved.

34 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

3. The Rennie disaster 

Should have nothing to do with the board tbh they a  set a budget and it’s up to the manager what happens.

38 minutes ago, Braes_Bairn said:

Add to that list being very very close to signing Goodwillie (causing the board member resignations) and all the negatives that that would have involved.

Goodwillie had absolutely nothing to do with “Board member resignations”.

29 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I think it's very unfair to pan the new Board for a lot of the points you raise.

1. People change jobs regularly across all sort of industries. I've no idea how good a job or otherwise McGivern was doing. Role is being advertised to find a replacement.

2. Official reason given means this was hardly the board's fault.

3. Hasn't worked out at all but a) can't speak for anyone else but I was relatively happy with Rennie being hired (I'd have taken him over Rice for example) and b) he was only given a short term deal.

4. Pre-dates the current board and looks to have been down to a bad actor.

5. This is essentially the same as point 3. Definitely hasn't worked out.

To me the frustrations I'd have would be Rennie being kept on when it's so blatantly obvious he's not the man for the job, or if we get continued spin put out around the team/club/diddy of a manager. My one thing I can't stand more than anything else is being treated like an idiot. Telling me that what I'm seeing very clearly in front of my own eyes is not actually the case because of X, Y, Z drivel reasons or deflecting blame is infuriating and assumes you can trick us into eating a lot of nonsense. 

Mistakes will happen - learn from them and move forward. Consistently bleating about how hard a task it is and saying it's all someone else's fault doesn't help us improve. I don't doubt for a second how shite a state the club is in off the park but at some point we need to stop hearing about it. Comes across as pretty "woe is me" to be honest. I don't doubt the board are as sick and tired of us being shite as every other fan. We want a plan on how that's going to change.

Pretty much agree. I think the actual extent to which things are utterly messed up isn’t known, and hasn’t been expressed (yet). Much of it may come out at the AGM, but the BoD might do themselves a big favour by getting it out in the open much earlier. Tell the story completely, and tell it once.

They might be surprised how much help is out there amongst the support (if they get to a place where they can share how ugly it truly is).

MR is the easy (or difficult) piece. I think very few outside of his immediate contacts have any sort of belief in what he is doing and saying. Even he cannot be surprised by that.

Thankfully, the majority of the hangers on have gone, but there is inevitably a new generation eager to take their place. We simply cannot let them anywhere near the club in any capacity.

11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Pretty much agree. I think the actual extent to which things are utterly messed up isn’t known, and hasn’t been expressed (yet). Much of it may come out at the AGM, but the BoD might do themselves a big favour by getting it out in the open much earlier. Tell the story completely, and tell it once.

They might be surprised how much help is out there amongst the support (if they get to a place where they can share how ugly it truly is).

MR is the easy (or difficult) piece. I think very few outside of his immediate contacts have any sort of belief in what he is doing and saying. Even he cannot be surprised by that.

Thankfully, the majority of the hangers on have gone, but there is inevitably a new generation eager to take their place. We simply cannot let them anywhere near the club in any capacity.

I think you’ll find that will happen.

Just have a little patience.

2 hours ago, BooBairn said:

3. The Rennie disaster 

1. A much loved former player with no experience effectively hung out to dry by Deans & Co.

2. David White stood down as BoD obligations in terms of time and workload were way beyond expectations and the time he had available, hence his departure.

3. Yes, this Board’s appointment on a 6 month trial basis.

4. Absolutely nothing to do with the Board. An ex employee gave out promises he couldn’t keep, and told no-one above him what he was doing (because he didn’t accept that there was anyone at the club who was “above him”).

5. Not shockingly bad,, but for me, he was looking for a spine, but never got close to it. It felt like “the defence is bad, so let’s get an entirely new “plug and play” unit to replace it. Then “we don’t score enough goals” so if you look at Griffiths, Dowds and Jaze, another plug and play unit.

Midfield……..a near enough retirement time Jacobs, and that’s that. The midfield business (or lack of) consigned everything else to fail. That was the bit that I found a bit shocking I suppose.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

I'm somewhere between ambivalence and having mildly positive feelings towards what the new board have done since coming in, given the absolute mess that they took over. It's still very early days. The first decision they could take that would make me heavily question their collective judgement would be keeping Rennie in the face of all evidence.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

10 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I'm somewhere between ambivalence and having mildly positive feelings towards what the new board have done since coming in, given the absolute mess that they took over. It's still very early days. The first decision they could take that would make me heavily question their collective judgement would be keeping Rennie in the face of all evidence.

Over 16 games, he cannot better Sheerin’s stats (other than goals scored). I wasn’t that bothered about the stats until MR started quoting numbers per quarter to show how much an improvement he was over Sheerin.

Thing is, his stats weren’t accurate. He cannot load a quarter for himself to include 2 games against EF and omit a game against a top side in order to make the numbers look better. He cannot say “tired, three games in a week”. We have never played three games in a week. Adding a mid week fixture doesn’t make it three games in a week…..it makes it two.

Since then, his stats haven’t gone off a cliff, they are just tailing off to below Sheerin’s.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

In any walk of life telling full truth and be honest about it will get you respect. You may not like what your hearing  but the ones doing the telling will enhance their credibility and trust by doing so.

If the new board have sense they will put down a marker and do just that.  

Does anyone seriously believe that David White left due to work commitments and McGivern has chucked it due to the price of petrol?

I’ve gone on record suggesting I think the new board might succeed but f**k me it’s time to get moving. Im very aware of the shambles left behind but a failed bid to sign the rapist, a terribly handled managerial appointment, a manager out his depth and staff deserting in numbers does little to suggest things have improved much.

A huge few months ahead.