The Falkirk FC Thread

Clyde were at home today so Shire's away game to Cumbernauld Colts in the Lowland League was on Friday night. So I went with a family friend to the Falkirk game (barring me all my family are Falkirk fans). 

As a neutral but still someone who wishes Falkirk well, I'll just blurt out that Falkirk are lucky to still have a core fan base of 1,500-2,000 max that go to every home game. We were in the main stand with a 90yo. A delightful lad who's followed Falkirk since the late 40's but has seen little worse than now. 

I think the issue with Rennie is that, even though he's a Scotsman, his football career has all been in the States so perhaps he's a bit naive to Scottish football? He's come in at the deep end but really needs swimming lessons. However he's still got Sheerin's team. The main transfer window is in summer so I'd personally allow him to start from scratch over summer and build his own team. However if it goes tits up within the first half dozen games or so then the buck stops with him. 

Montrose didn't look like a part time team but should have scored more. They'd get a game for the Glasgow Warriors with the times they booted the ball over the bar. 

Controversial maybe but I thought their 2nd was a penalty. 

Anyways, I hope you're all well. 

Edited by come on shire

58 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Why do people persist in saying Houstie should be back or we shouldn’t have let him go. For fucks sake of course he should have gone and he shouldn’t be back. Get real.  

It’s the same reason why Yogi’s name is constantly brought up. When times get tough the natural reaction is to go back to the last thing that worked.

4 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

We are just a club with ups and downs. Currently in the down position.

This may be the biggest understatement in P&B history tbh.

Funny to see Falkirk fans clamouring to have Houston back when he was also chased out the door.

I don’t want Houstie back as manager, loved him as a player and the majority of his time as manager but it rarely works out the way you hope when you get back former players/managers. I wouldn’t mind him coming back to offer a bit experience and to assist a manager but not as the main man.

The support is still there and I’ve no doubt given the right appointment and even a bit of progress would see fans coming back to the fold. We are so demoralised at the moment that even seeing ordinary players showing a bit of fight/heart would be an improvement.

Holistically, Houston was a very good manager for us - I'd argue he's our only successful appointment since Yogi, which tells you absolutely everything. His first season wasn't great, but he was given somewhat of a free pass because of the big three, while the cup run largely deflected league campaign criticism. 

His 15/16 team though:wub:They were a real shining light in the last 10+ years. What a team that was - the complete antithesis of the bunch of jokers we have now. They never knew when they were beaten; the last Falkirk team that was a pure joy to watch every week. He was, again, a victim of circumstance with Rangers and Hibs still in the league. Any 'normal' season in the Championship, that team would have run away with it. 

The next season we finished 2nd, we were a lot more more stuffy while still managing to get results, but the cracks began to show in terms of recruitment. He should have left after the Dundee United play-off, and was rightly dismissed after a dreadful start. People who retrospectively say we sacked him too quickly forget how clear it was that his heart wasn't in management anymore, and that was coming up 5 years ago. He's also got his safe number at Celtic back again, so there is absolutely zero chance of him returning. It is nice to sit back and remember when we had a team that actually gave a f**k and looked proud to wear the jersey, though. While Houston's teams were never world-beaters, the charlatans we have now wouldn't lace their boots.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

In just about any other club anywhere in the world, the performances against Airdrie, Peterhead, and Montrose today would be jumping the shark moments.

I could buy into all of the “it’s Sheerin’s squad”, but it’s not. I struggle to set aside that he effectively brought in 7 players of his choosing in January, and it’s not made a blind bit of difference (unless you accept that Rennie has managed to avoid relegation, and that is the true mark of his success, and that top four was never a realistic aim).

Attended my first Falkirk game for a couple of seasons today. Despite what my mates have told me and what I read on here every day or two, I have to  situation. Montrose had the ball on the edge of the box, Falkirk just stood off and let them get a feeble shot away that trundled in. 

The chat in the South stand bar before the match seemed fairly uniform, in that everyone has heard that of an 18 man squad, Rennie allegedly  doesn’t want 10 or 12 of them, and on that basis will be given to next season to clear out and bring in.

Edited by 8MileBU

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Attended my first Falkirk game for a couple of seasons today. Despite what my mates have told me and what I read on here every day or two, I have to admit to naively thinking much of it was probably just born of frustration at poor results. 

Having now seen this current Falkirk with my own eyes, it’s way beyond just poor results. The team really is as bad as folk have made out. They have no idea what they’re doing or how to do simple things such as play a simple pass to feet, mark a man and press the opposition. The first Montrose goal sums up the key failing though - The Falkirk players have absolutely no balls and all bottle committing to just dealing with the situation. Montrose had the ball on the edge of the box, Falkirk just stood off and let them get a feeble shot away that trundled in. 

The chat in the South stand bar before the match seemed fairly uniform, in that everyone has heard that of an 18 man squad, Rennie allegedly  doesn’t want 10 or 12 of them, and on that basis will be given to next season to clear out and bring in.

That he wants to keep six or eight of them is just as frightening.

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That he wants to keep six or eight of them is just as frightening.

I’ve no idea how reliable the chatter is but again, seemed everyone had heard the same things.

All I know is that hadn’t my old papa been cremated, he’d turn in his grave at how woeful Falkirk are now.

Edited by 8MileBU

7 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Heard today that out of the players out of contract, only Telfer and Mutch have been offered deals.

Telfer I'd keep but there are probably more reliable options out there than much.

Mutch would do as a back up but nowhere near good enough as first choice even at this level.

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

More frightening is the thought that he will be given the chance to do so.

Or that contracts are being offered out and we’ve already brought in a new player. That suggests it could be more than a thought. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

This is as bad as I remember for over 40 years. 

Rennie hasn't worked. End it now and give someone a chance to use the upcoming games to some advantage for next season. 

Keeping Rennie would absolutely be the straw to break the camels back. 

If the BoD opt to persevere with Rennie then I'll be like the club - finished! 

Edited by Top of Meeks Road