The Falkirk FC Thread

55 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

If it is an early indicator that MR is staying, then I will have to accept that the key reasons for keeping him have nothing to do with performances, man management or results. What that doesn’t cover, I do not know, but that (whatever it might be) is the deciding factor.

It's very simple really. If the board are using anything OTHER than these metrics to decide whether the current manager should remain in charge into next season they are making a massive mistake and will deserve every bit of criticism that would follow. Barring a totally unexpected upturn in form over the past five games - not impossible, but highly unlikely given they include three of the top-four and a rejuvenated AA under Rice - his tenure can only be adjudged as a complete and utter failure. And no amount of bullshit "it's all Deans/Holt/Sheerin's fault" propaganda will convince me otherwise.

5 hours ago, FFC1965 said:

Another reason I believe that Rennie will get the gig for next season......

The BOD & Chief Exec know as well as the fans that FFC will be saddled with a significant number of players next season i.e. there probably isn't a signed player in the squad (bar Watson maybe?) who would  have been offered a new contract had their terms been due to expire on 31.05.22.   We cant afford to pay enough of them off and we don't even have a player to sell whose fee might be used to fund the departure of the army of duds.    

If the conclusion is that these players are effectively beyond redemption and unlikely to respond materially to even a fantastic new coach then there's little point in pursuing an expensive and potentially difficult managerial option on the time honoured basis that "you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear".   

I can see them reappointing Rennie for 22/23 tacitly accepting the likelihood of L1 in 23/24 and then clear the decks in May 23.     

Of course the counter argument is that poorer players need a better coach more than good ones but thats not how I see it going.  I could easily be wrong mind.

Rennie's appointment for 22/23 would presumably have one advantage of presumably being confirmed cheaply quickly and easily.   It has significant disadvantages of course and the above is just my view of how I think it will pan out - I believe he's failed significantly and the club should cut its losses and let him go at the expiry of his contract (actually no reason it couldn't be done or confirmed once we definitely cant be caught by Dumbarton - which could be as soon as this Saturday).     

ST sales for next season would no doubt suffer a bit if MR is reappointed but recent history suggests that FFC have a floor of around 1500 STs.    

Think you under estimate the effect of energy prices on disposable income.

When it comes to heating and feeding your family and a season ticket or even going to games. No  matter how die hard bairns fan you are the family comes first. The club will do well to break a 1,000 ST's

Jesus wept, what a bunch of doomsayers on here, the current season isn’t finished yet and here we are writing off next season by October.

This season is most definitely well and truly over.

Hardly a surprise we’re no looking forward to a 4th season in the third tier whilst potentially keeping on our loser of a manager who is quite clearly miles out his depth. Morale within the support is understandably at an all time low and subjecting us to Rennieball for any longer than is actually necessary would be a catastrophic error of judgement.

I may be wrong but signing players until the end of next season suggests to me that the board have already decided on Rennie for next season. If the budget is as tight as some have suggested on here why would we be signing a player that a new management team might not fancy.

I'm not sure why it indicates who the manager is next season?

A young guy from our ex youth team gets signed, if Raith had signed him then I would guess there would be complaints around why did we let him get away from us.

Maybe if it was an experienced pro I would feel differently, is this not getting a young guy in who might do well?

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

22 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Jesus wept, what a bunch of doomsayers on here, the current season isn’t finished yet and here we are writing off next season by October.

Maybe we should use the last decade as evidence to whip ourselves up into a state of hope and optimism. Also, the current season finished weeks ago. We're done.

A young guy from our ex youth team gets signed, if Raith had signed him then I would guess there would be complaints around why did we let him get away from us.
Maybe if it was an experienced pro I would feel differently, is this not getting a young guy in who might do well?

All depends how good he is and if he’s signed for the first team or the youths. Just need to hope he’d not another MacKenzie Lemon level jobber.

Guest Caractacus Potts
16 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I may be wrong but signing players until the end of next season suggests to me that the board have already decided on Rennie for next season. If the budget is as tight as some have suggested on here why would we be signing a player that a new management team might not fancy.

I agree. The season is pretty much over so it didn’t seem necessary. Bit odd too, to only sign him now if he’s been free and training with us since the start of the year. Why not just give him a deal till the end of the season and try give him some game time to impress? 

8 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Maybe we should use the last decade as evidence to whip ourselves up into a state of hope and optimism. Also, the current season finished weeks ago. We're done.

Yes it’s has been a shite time to be a Falkirk fan over the last decade but we have a new board who have been in place for 3 months, why not try and support them in what they are doing. 

26 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

If he’s signed for the youth then there’s no issue at all, if the board have decided Rennie is the man and he’s preparing the squad for next season then if that’s how the board want to go just tell us that. 

I just find it strange that money is tight and we have 12/13 players signed for next season that Rennie has failed to improve. If Rennie isn’t going to be the manager next season why sign more players to add to the 12/13 that a new management team might not want when our finances are going to be extremely tight.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Rennie staying would obv be an awful decision. However, he won't be here past October/November anyway. Results will be very poor and he'd start the season with zero good will

If Rennie stays maybe we should apply to join the Irish Football League? Their season also ends in November.

37 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Possibly because Dowds, Griffiths and Morrison are all injured?

1 hour ago, Kircer bairn said:

Surely someone needs to ask the Board the question re is he staying as sense this is now critical to fan base decision making process on season ticket renewal etc

Ask them tomorrow.

Think it’s more or less Rennies gig next season, as signing a player with five meaningless games to go and give him a deal for next season feels like  he’s got the BODs backing.

Hopefully there will be some straight questions (and straight answers) to those who attend tomorrows FSS meeting. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Maybe, but he’s been given a deal until the end of next season. Hope he does well and then I’ll be glad we’ve given him the extra year.

Never even noticed that. In fact, when I first read the headline I thought it was somebody joining the board! :lol:I would guess that we need him now but Rennie thinks that he's good enough to merit the longer deal. 

I can see too why folk think that means Rennie being here next season but I wouldn't necessarily say that was the case.

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Think it’s more or less Rennies gig next season, as signing a player with five meaningless games to go and give him a deal for next season feels like  he’s got the BODs backing.

Hopefully there will be some straight questions (and straight answers) to those who attend tomorrows FSS meeting. 

Do you intend going?

I think the article saying that he will be in contention tomorrow points to Dowds and Morrison not being ready. Griffiths has been carrying an injury for weeks and apparently can't do a lot of training and Kabia seems to be another 'made of glass' type.

Whilst I can see why you're saying that the remaining games are meaningless I certainly hope that Rennie and the players don't have the same mindset. We've got to fight while there's still a chance!

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Potential

1 hour ago, grumpyoldman said:

Yes it’s has been a shite time to be a Falkirk fan over the last decade but we have a new board who have been in place for 3 months, why not try and support them in what they are doing. 

This is just a football forum. In what way do you support the BoD on a forum? I think most have been pretty clear on laying the blame at the door of those responsible….Deans, his yes men, Holt and Sheerin.

So what more can be done on a forum? The BoD were congratulated on a sensible approach to Rennie…….6 months to see what he can do. Now, the BoD might see what he has done as evidence enough that he is worth the gig next season. The support have in general, seen the opposite side of things. In the last three games, the Airdrie and Peterhead gigs have served up football as bad as we have seen in a long time (QP game excepted).

So I ask again. What can we do or should we do on a football forum to support the BoD?