The Falkirk FC Thread

41 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Whatever the ‘something’ is, it certainly isn’t contributing anything on a football pitch.

A player who’s done absolutely nothing for 6 months.

Yes, but he did something before that. That's why I said that we know he has something.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Yes, but he did something before that. That's why I said that we know he has something.

If having a few good games and then doing nothing for 8 months is a reason to keep a player at the club, we’ll be down here for a lot longer yet.

We’ve had lists of players over the last few seasons living off reputations. Ability is totally meaningless if a player doesn’t  contribute anything.

On 26/03/2022 at 18:35, Springfield said:

Said a few weeks back that unless we received substantial funds/cash we’d be languishing in the lower reaches of Scottish football.

Nothing has changed and now our fate is confirmed the BOD need to get their business skills into action. 
We simply need investment 

Yep. The only way out of this is to buy our way out of this league. 

That will need money we don't have so it's going to be rinse and repeat.

Managers that aren't good enough..players that aren't good enough.

3 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

As you say I do not envy the choice then or the next one.

I disagree. It's a dream choice to have.

We've just suffered through our worst two managers in 140 years so the next appointment should be absolutely simple. It's almost impossible to find a third manager in the class of Rennie or Sheerin so whoever they bring in should look like Alex Ferguson in comparison. 

3 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

If they had went Rice and he had a repeat of his past unfortunate health issues then I can see why they have went Rennie.

As you say I do not envy the choice then or the next one.

Should not be factor in any way and there is nothing to suggest it affected his performance as a manager before.

I hope Rice turns us over on Saturday to prove a point. It would be rather funny.

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Should not be factor in any way and there is nothing to suggest it affected his performance as a manager before.

I hope Rice turns us over on Saturday to prove a point. It would be rather funny.

When Rice’s name came up in Nov/Dec I objected due to his past and the fact we are a basket case of a club. I thought that = a bad mix. 

Looks like I was wrong sadly. Basically impossible to have done a worse job than Rennie 

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Rice looked a good choice at the time. That he's laughing at our clownshoes joke of a manager with his Alloa team is no surprise.

Worries me greatly that the current board who appointed this Powerpoint failure are in charge of the next appointment. 

What next? The management return of Ian Cathro.

52 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If having a few good games and then doing nothing for 8 months is a reason to keep a player at the club, we’ll be down here for a lot longer yet.

We’ve had lists of players over the last few seasons living off reputations. Ability is totally meaningless if a player doesn’t  contribute anything.

Up to whatever manager that we have to get his ability out and improve him. We've seen plenty of utter horseshit footballers in a Falkirk shirt, Nesbitt's not one of them.

All I said was that, based on what we've seen, he wouldn't be bad back-up. I'm not suggesting that he should be expected to be the main man.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Was listening to Super Scoreboard earlier and a Kilmarnock fan was talking about the impact of McInnes. Said he’s basically taken Wright’s players and brought some consistent performances with players such as Alston and Stephen McGinn now looking like new signings. 

Now, we all know the mess Gary Deans and Holt left the club in but then we knew the mess his predecessors left the club in too and so on. Is it too much to ask for us just to find someone capable of dealing with the card they’ve been dealt and bringing some leadership and positivity back? I don’t look at other squads and think they’re night and day above us. I don’t think many other teams in this league are that good but they play as a unit. Rennie lamented the team when he joined and now he’s been found wanting the excuses are being trundled out on here about Dixon downing tools etc.

Just fed up hearing the same excuses time and again to try and cover for mistakes. Rennie isn’t the man for the job. There has to an acceptance of that and accountability of that decision as well as others like spending a fortune on Griffiths. If we can’t admit these errors then we can never learn and will find it hard to move forward as a club.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

We’ve had lists of players over the last few seasons living off reputations. 

When what we need is players more interested in creating reputations……..which might well involve players who have stalled or gone of the rails for all manner of reasons, but who have a point to prove. It’s a cliché, but is spot on for football as much as it is for army units…….what we want is a band of brothers.

Guest Ecosse83
42 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Was listening to Super Scoreboard earlier and a Kilmarnock fan was talking about the impact of McInnes. Said he’s basically taken Wright’s players and brought some consistent performances with players such as Alston and Stephen McGinn now looking like new signings. 

Now, we all know the mess Gary Deans and Holt left the club in but then we knew the mess his predecessors left the club in too and so on. Is it too much to ask for us just to find someone capable of dealing with the card they’ve been dealt and bringing some leadership and positivity back? I don’t look at other squads and think they’re night and day above us. I don’t think many other teams in this league are that good but they play as a unit. Rennie lamented the team when he joined and now he’s been found wanting the excuses are being trundled out on here about Dixon downing tools etc.

Just fed up hearing the same excuses time and again to try and cover for mistakes. Rennie isn’t the man for the job. There has to an acceptance of that and accountability of that decision as well as others like spending a fortune on Griffiths. If we can’t admit these errors then we can never learn and will find it hard to move forward as a club.

Getting to add 7 new players then performing worse than the previous manager who let’s have it isn’t even a manager takes some doing. 

There is no way he can get the job after what he’s achieved in the time he’s been here .

I actually think a bit of truth and reconciliation really needs to happen. Perfectly happy for the wrongdoings…..both ethical and financial of Deans et al to be laid bare. It’s important that everyone understands the reality of it all, and what it means for us all collectively……as a club. There are lessons we all need to learn or at least be aware of.

The current Board have to be open to their mistakes too……it’s just as important. Ultimately, that’s the way to get the fan base on board (sic), and have us (or most of us) pulling in the right direction.

We all want the club to be successful, but sometimes (and sometimes with a heavy heart), that requires intervention to bring an end to stuff that we dearly want to come good, but clearly shows no signs of doing so. Let’s face it, this club has had quite a reputation over many years of letting control slip away in the hands of people who should never have been allowed anywhere near the club.

Whatever comes next, be it good or bad (yeah, probably bad), even if it’s not a collective decision, we need it to be a collective step. I think as a support we need to be listened to, but we also need to listen…….probably more than ever before.

I am 67 years old. I am no more of a supporter than say, any 16 year old in the Crunchie Stand. It simply means I have experienced more of the good and bad times of supporting FFC, and I am a good way along the track that ends with me popping my clogs. Where we are today is a mess I would love to see us get out of. Now, the Board might feel they can do it on their own (but I don’t think so). Yet again, just like the horrible times in the 70s and especially the late 90s, it’s going to take all of us.

We might not see it yet, but I think we are close to seeing what our end of level baddie looks like…..and that’s a good thing.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Different level but Marcelo Bielsa took Leeds from 16th in the Championship to 9th in the EPL with basically the same squad. Guys like Phillips and Klich were on their way out when he arrived but are now established internationalists. 

A good head coach/manager can work with the players he's got and make them and the team better. It's just we have had a succession of terrible coaches and the answer is always bin all the players and get a whole new load in.  The most important person at any club is always the manager/head coach.    

16 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Different level but Marcelo Bielsa took Leeds from 16th in the Championship to 9th in the EPL with basically the same squad. Guys like Phillips and Klich were on their way out when he arrived but are now established internationalists. 

A good head coach/manager can work with the players he's got and make them and the team better. It's just we have had a succession of terrible coaches and the answer is always bin all the players and get a whole new load in.  The most important person at any club is always the manager/head coach.    

Look closer at home at Montrose and Arbroath, bottom of league 2 to play offs in league 1 and other challenging at top of the championship. 

One thing they have is a consistent squad with the odd loan signing that lifts them upwards.

38 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Look closer at home at Montrose and Arbroath, bottom of league 2 to play offs in league 1 and other challenging at top of the championship. 

One thing they have is a consistent squad with the odd loan signing that lifts them upwards.

Ironically including, in the case of Arbroath, loaning one of our players who was shunned in favour of Jaime Wilson and Michael Ruth, and publicly called out by our then CEO. 

13 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Don't a number of other clubs schemes have a starting rate of £5 a month? Whether you like it or not, £10 a month - factoring in the well-documented rising cost of living, as well as the other costs associated with supporting the club; season tickets, away tickets, travelling to/from matches, buying stuff on matchdays, merchandise if you have kids, etc - would be a significant additional outgoing for an increasing number of people. This is especially the case when it is for something with very little immediate, tangible return. Maybe something for the FSS to look into.

I agree there should be this option, then you can say "for the price of a (OK expensive) pint", for less than a Netflix subscription etc.

4 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Add on that both these teams are built with a decent backbone/spine. Something we’ve been unable to do since Houston.

Weve never been able to identify a solid keeper, CB pairing, decent and strong midfield, and a pair of CFs.

Always ending up with nearly players, and seven or eighth midfield players who are all much the same quality and play the same position, with little variety ( and below five feet tall) 

Seventy plus players signed across three or so seasons is absolutely ludicrous.

So why is it that guys like Alston are now first choice, when his stint here was appalling bad ?

Are the players we’ve got that bad? or are the continuing employment of raw coaches the main issue ?

As commented the BOD somehow have got to get this summer’s decisions bang on or really fear for the future.

I may be completely wrong and maybe out of reach, but we must try and get someone in like Wright/Ross. The club can’t/won’t survive with the option of rookie coaches. It’s brought us to the brink.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Add on that both these teams are built with a decent backbone/spine. Something we’ve been unable to do since Houston.

Weve never been able to identify a solid keeper, CB pairing, decent and strong midfield, and a pair of CFs.

Always ending up with nearly players, and seven or eighth midfield players who are all much the same quality and play the same position, with little variety ( and below five feet tall) 

Seventy plus players signed across three or so seasons is absolutely ludicrous.

So why is it that guys like Alston are now first choice, when his stint here was appalling bad ?

Are the players we’ve got that bad? or are the continuing employment of raw coaches the main issue ?

As commented the BOD somehow have got to get this summer’s decisions bang on or really fear for the future.

I may be completely wrong and maybe out of reach, but we must try and get someone in like Wright/Ross. The club can’t/won’t survive with the option of rookie coaches. It’s brought us to the brink.

Hartley was no rookie and he started this downward tailspin. 
It is the right type of person we need not just experienced or not. When Hughes got the job he had virtually no experience  in fact Jim Jefferies was pretty raw too. We also have to build the right support network behind the scenes that is stable and supportive. 
The other thing required is time and patience from the support. Murray has taken 4 seasons to build Airdrie, Hartley 3 seasons at Cove and Petrie 4/5 at Montrose. The Falkirk manager would never get that with our support. Maybe with our resource our manager doesn’t need that sort of time I concede that but I can tell you now Cove ain’t paying their players buttons. 
As far as turning this squad around IMO I think it is full of wrong uns with stinking attitudes. Some may have some ability but for that reason alone I would clear the majority of the place. 
Finally I don’t think we can underestimate the utter shambles of a club the new Board have been left. As DF says lets hope the extent of the mismanagement is exposed fully at some point so we can all get the full picture and perspective. 
The new Board will make mistakes and have already everyone knows that. They need to get the next big decision right. 
As supporters, if we want success, we are  going to have to back the club financially again. For some, after the last numbers of years, they will take the attitude that they are just not going to one more time. I understand that totally however it is the reality of the situation we find ourselves in. Without finance we are going nowhere fast. 

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Hartley was no rookie and he started this downward tailspin. 
It is the right type of person we need not just experienced or not. When Hughes got the job he had virtually no experience  in fact Jim Jefferies was pretty raw too. We also have to build the right support network behind the scenes that is stable and supportive. 
The other thing required is time and patience from the support. Murray has taken 4 seasons to build Airdrie, Hartley 3 seasons at Cove and Petrie 4/5 at Montrose. The Falkirk manager would never get that with our support. Maybe with our resource our manager doesn’t need that sort of time I concede that but I can tell you now Cove ain’t paying their players buttons. 
As far as turning this squad around IMO I think it is full of wrong uns with stinking attitudes. Some may have some ability but for that reason alone I would clear the majority of the place. 
Finally I don’t think we can underestimate the utter shambles of a club the new Board have been left. As DF says lets hope the extent of the mismanagement is exposed fully at some point so we can all get the full picture and perspective. 
The new Board will make mistakes and have already everyone knows that. They need to get the next big decision right. 
As supporters, if we want success, we are  going to have to back the club financially again. For some, after the last numbers of years, they will take the attitude that they are just not going to one more time. I understand that totally however it is the reality of the situation we find ourselves in. Without finance we are going nowhere fast. 

I agree but the only part I differ on is the support. The club has a hard core loyal backing which for me is at breaking. If the BOD are clear and honest with the support, I think they will get the fans back on side, even if it’s a two/three year plan.

This will in my opinion needs - Absolute transparency, absolute honesty, absolute correct players identified. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I agree but the only part I differ on is the support. The club has a hard core loyal backing which for me is at breaking. If the BOD are clear and honest with the support, I think they will get the fans back on side, even if it’s a two/three year plan.

This will in my opinion needs - Absolute transparency, absolute honesty, absolute correct players identified. 

No so sure on the fans TBH. They have already been told that this is not going to be fixed quickly. The Board have said that online and in front of fans in 3 meetings now. 
What happens is for example they appointed Jack Ross (not going to happen) and he got off to a shocking start next season and we’re halfway up the league again? I think we all know the answer. I am old enough to remember the stick Jefferies got before changing things.  Happy to be proved wrong though. 
By the way I understand the impatience 

Edited by Back Post Misses