The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Someone that knows how to do it set up a new topic with a vote, would be interesting to see the result! 

Is there anyway that we can confine it to just Falkirk fans? I don't want any other clubs' posters poking their nebs in.

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I feel giving him the summer to properly build his own side would be the fairest way to judge him. Pragmatically however you have to look at what has happened and think his impact would have been better. 

I believe the 6 month thing was beneficial for all involved. The Board were barely in the door before having to make an appointment, MR too wanted to gauge if it was right for him. As far as I am aware, he was happy to be weighed and measured on what he achieved in those 6 months.

He was somewhat hoisted by his own petard where the crucial element in his hiring was his track record in rapid turnaround in performances. Clearly that USP has failed in every meaningful way.

It’s a tough ask for people to accept that 7 new players wasn’t enough for him to get a tune out of the team. Yes, we have scored a few more goals, yes we have conceded slightly fewer goals, but both of those stats are hugely influenced by Sheerin’s 6-0 loss to QP, and MRs 6-2 win over Dumbarton. Both of those results are outliers miles away from the norm.

Crucially, Sheerin’s points average is better than MRs, and that is the elephant in the room which cannot be explained away in a manner that paints MR as being innocent.

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Is there anyway that we can confine it to just Falkirk fans? I don't want any other clubs' posters poking their nebs in.

Doubt it, don’t think other clubs fans would be that fussed to be honest 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think he is right. We are miles off being a big club. We have a support that is generally impatient (some of it very understandable) however we are a massive rebuild. 
We have had successive boards talk about our rightful place, about thrashing teams in the league. All it was, was hot air with no substance. The Falkirk support is going to have to gain some patience of the managerial revolving door will keep spinning. I get if we hire the right guy that will turn, but I don’t think it is a quick fix, or shall we say quick enough for some. 

It's very frustrating for me that we still have fans who think we should be swatting aside teams in this league simply because we are a 'bigger' club. Yes, we pay more than the majority, yes we have a decent history (because that's what it is now) and, yes we have more potential, but we are where we are because we are shit. It's obvious now that we're not going to suddenly start turning teams over because we currently don't have the tools to do it.

I think we should let Rennie go at the end of the season (unless there's a miraculous turn around) but whoever gets the job has got to be given time to re-build. That may involve no or little progress on the pitch initially but we must stop this hiring and firing conveyer at some point. Ian Murray, for example, has taken nearly four years to build what he's built. As things stand he wouldn't be given 4 weeks with some supporters on here if the results weren't immediately there.

It came as absolutely no surprise to me that Peterhead beat us because they're a decent L1 side who, on their day, can match any side in this division. I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd beaten them either although I would be gobsmacked if we'd managed a win over a Cove or an Airdrie because we're miles behind those teams at the moment.

We basically need to wake up and smell the coffee, before having breakfast and moving on to lunch before finally sitting down to enjoy our dinner!

4 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

And perhaps more importantly, why would he even want to go to Falkirk?

Money possibly (because we must be running short by now), potential and the challenge. If Airdrie go up though, and I think you will, we'd have no chance of getting him.

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

It's very frustrating for me that we still have fans who think we should be swatting aside teams in this league simply because we are a 'bigger' club. Yes, we pay more than the majority, yes we have a decent history (because that's what it is now) and, yes we have more potential, but we are where we are because we are shit. It's obvious now that we're not going to suddenly start turning teams over because we currently don't have the tools to do it.

I think we should let Rennie go at the end of the season (unless there's a miraculous turn around) but whoever gets the job has got to be given time to re-build. That may involve no or little progress on the pitch initially but we must stop this hiring and firing conveyer at some point. Ian Murray, for example, has taken nearly four years to build what he's built. As things stand he wouldn't be given 4 weeks with some supporters on here if the results weren't immediately there.

It came as absolutely no surprise to me that Peterhead beat us because they're a decent L1 side who, on their day, can match any side in this division. I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd beaten them either although I would be gobsmacked if we'd managed a win over a Cove or an Airdrie because we're miles behind those teams at the moment.

We basically need to wake up and smell the coffee, before having breakfast and moving on to lunch before finally sitting down to enjoy our dinner!

Does anyone believe/demand that? We are no longer competitive with Cove, Airdrie, Montrose, Queens Park. Peterhead have looked a far better team than us twice in a row. We can no longer beat Clyde. 

A mild uptick in performances and results (similar to the instant impact Rice has made on a worse Alloa squad than ours) would now be acceptable to almost all Falkirk fans, including myself. 

How's that worked out for you over the last few seasons? It's not all about money. Just look at Arbroath. It's also about having the right people behind the scenes as well as infront. And a good structure. Falkirks is shambolic at best. And you know it. 

As a long time Falkirk fan that is very hard to disagree with, unfortunately a lot of our fans born in the 80’s onwards have come to expect success, three cup finals, premier league, playoffs etc

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

You dont know more about this than any of us mate, so again..... What is it you are driving at here? It seems you are here to defend Airdries corner and insist that Ian Murray is going nowhere. That's fine, just be aware that one day when you are an adult you will realise that wages/potential are pretty much the be all and end all when it comes to choosing an employer for the huge majority of people.

Ian Murray can likely command a better wage now, in league 1 at Falkirk than he could in league 1 or maybe even the Championship with Airdrie.

He might be sold on the possibility that he can take Falkirk to the Premiership within a period of a few years, based on the fact that the board can maybe demonstrate the backing he would get once he got us to the Championship etc etc.

Now I don't know what he earns or what vision the Airdrie board are selling, I'm just pointing out that you are applying the logic of a child.

The logic of a child? 😂 Says the guy who suggests Murray could thrive at a club that sacks managers for fun. Yeah, that must be really appealing. 

Who do you have selling him the prospect of Falkirk being back in the Premiership in a few years? The Wolf of Wall Street? 😂

The way you're going you'll be lucky to be out this league in a few years.

But I'll toddle off now with my child logic and leave you with your adult denial. 👌

26 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

They'd all vote for us to keep him.

Exactly. And that 'hilarious' action is why it's a pointless exercise on here.

If you're a member of the FB groups then try it on there.

(Yes I know they are the absolute pits).

The thing is, it doesn’t take a Klopp to win this league. Look at some of the managers that have built a team to win this division in the past. The quality of the teams are, on the whole, pretty poor. With the resources we have (yes, resources are very important), it really shouldn’t take a tactical genius to build a Falkirk side that either wins League One, or at the very least challenges for the title.

I think we obviously are in a bad place now, but I don’t buy the argument that it will take years to turn it around. We just keep appointing diddies who make a complete arse of it.

In two of our three years in this league, it looks like we won’t even reach the play-offs. It’s fucking criminal. 

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think he is right. We are miles off being a big club. We have a support that is generally impatient (some of it very understandable) however we are a massive rebuild. 
We have had successive boards talk about our rightful place, about thrashing teams in the league. All it was, was hot air with no substance. The Falkirk support is going to have to gain some patience of the managerial revolving door will keep spinning. I get if we hire the right guy that will turn, but I don’t think it is a quick fix, or shall we say quick enough for some. 

I think there would be patience if there were any signs at all of improvement. As it is, despite people arguing otherwise, Rennie has a worse record than Sheerin.

No one was expecting him to have us challenging Cove for the title but to be unable to beat Clyde and Peterhead after bringing in 7 players (including 1 on a huge wage) is frankly very poor.

If lack of patience is the issue, I struggle to see how you can argue for keeping Rennie on when Sheerin and Miller and McCracken were rightly punted with better records.

40 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I believe the 6 month thing was beneficial for all involved. The Board were barely in the door before having to make an appointment, MR too wanted to gauge if it was right for him. As far as I am aware, he was happy to be weighed and measured on what he achieved in those 6 months.

On paper I'm sure Rennie wanted to take us into the play offs onwards and upwards and get himself into a shop window he was nowhere near being a soccer manager.

He has made us worse, spent more cash than our previous failure and has won 5 games, 4 against the bottom 2.

The task wasn't a massive task, Queens park have only won 4 games in the same period as Rennie, they do love a draw tho.

It's been an experiment that's failed and if we continue next season with him, we will lose a lot of fans and be fully part time the following season. The interview yesterday with Rennie was like someone teaching a 4yr old basic arithmetic using numbers 1,2&3, up there with Sheerin's post match interviews.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but we should've went for Rice but the next appointment is gonna make or break us. I don't envy anyone having to make that decision.

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I think there would be patience if there were any signs at all of improvement. As it is, despite people arguing otherwise, Rennie has a worse record than Sheerin.

No one was expecting him to have us challenging Cove for the title but to be unable to beat Clyde and Peterhead after bringing in 7 players (including 1 on a huge wage) is frankly very poor.

If lack of patience is the issue, I struggle to see how you can argue for keeping Rennie on when Sheerin and Miller and McCracken were rightly punted with better records.

The Falkirk support will have no patience with the next manager, which is understandable. If you think the Falkirk support would allow a manager like Ian Murray 4 seasons to get out of this league you are on another planet. Even after those 4 years it is still touch and go if he will anyway. 

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, hes rejected approaches from St Mirren, Dundee, and Queens Park, in the last month, but a floundering mid-table League One Falkirk side is the one that will get him giving up his Hibs mega wage.

Perhaps Falkirk could engage Springfield to draft a contract that would hook Jack in?