The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, The Laddie Gastineau said:

Jeezo, can't remember that one. Unfortunately, he did have a rather torrid time with us. 

I used to play 5s with Myles.

He'd go in goals and you just couldn't score in the small goals then he'd get bored and play outfield and run rings round us all.

Really nice guy. 

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Saved his really torrid time for later when a rather angry husband gave him a bit of a doing.

Did he not get chased down the street by the boy with a baseball bat or golf club ?😂

Am I right in saying that there are two other dates and venues for the meet the manager thing as well? Courtyard and possibly Behind the Wall?

Had a look through the pages but couldn't find anything so would be appreciated if someone can tell me dates and times.

6 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Am I right in saying that there are two other dates and venues for the meet the manager thing as well? Courtyard and possibly Behind the Wall?

Had a look through the pages but couldn't find anything so would be appreciated if someone can tell me dates and times.

Next one is Saturday 2nd April @ 1730 in Behind the Goals - After the Montrose game.

12 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

I used to play 5s with Myles.

He'd go in goals and you just couldn't score in the small goals then he'd get bored and play outfield and run rings round us all.

Really nice guy. 

When you play football with or against an ex pro you soon find out they operate at a different level.

Its an education all right. 

13 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

This whole notion that you can't criticise unless you are willing to say it to the face of the men responsible is an utter nonsense. 

That's like saying you can't write a Google review of a restaurant until you walk in to the kitchen and tell the chef that his cooking is terrible. 

These events the FSS are putting on are great but it would be an utter mess if people were encouraged to come along and critise. At the end of the day everyone is different but I  put up my opinions on here to express my concerns about the club. If any of the club management want to look at them and take note then that's up to them but I don't expect Martin Rennie to read anything,  nor would I want him to.  At the end of the day he will be doing the best job he can and although that may not be good enough in my eyes(at the moment) I'm not wanting to go down and say that to his face and give him a hard time. He doesn't deserve that. 

The board aren't daft either and will know keeping him on is a risk. The decision will be theirs to make and it doesn't need me or anyone else to go down and point out the blindingly obvious regarding results and performances not being good enough. They'll know other factors that we aren't privy to, to base their decision on. They can choose not to read criticism here or on other social media but don't deserve to have us bleating at them in person. 

They have to be responsible for that decision and be accountable if it doesn't work out. It's as simple as that and doesn't need any of us to berate them for it to their face. 

The contract given to Rennie and Miller till the end of the season will have been mutual. These two are nobodies mugs and will have been well aware of the mess they were taking on and wanting to get a lay of the land. They will be getting an idea of the integrity and trustworthiness of the board and the impatience of the support.

I think they will walk with a thanks but no thanks.

The contract given to Rennie and Miller till the end of the season will have been mutual. These two are nobodies mugs and will have been well aware of the mess they were taking on and wanting to get a lay of the land. They will be getting an idea of the integrity and trustworthiness of the board and the impatience of the support.
I think they will walk with a thanks but no thanks.

A great point and one I never considered. A try before you buy? Maybe there was a thought in their minds that this on paper was going to be a scoosh and maybe how could we fail?
It may be both walk at the end of season and on to venture new but whatever happens their reputations will be tarnished unless things change before the seasons end.

19 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

When you play football with or against an ex pro you soon find out they operate at a different level.

Some of us might have a wee conceit that we can play a bit, but when you come up against someone from any sort of level, it's frightening.

My PE teacher and football coach at school was Caledonian (et al) full back Derek Dewar. A run-of-the-mill to decent Highland League player. But Christ, he was made of absolute steel. Never a ball playing defender, but he used to rip the piss out of our (U18) team even in training.

The story of Gus Caesar as related by Nick Hornby is a vivid one, and I'd recommend it (and Fever Pitch as a whole) to anyone.

58 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It`s good to know that after all these years I left an impression on you!!!  Even if it was just my studs.😂

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Some of us might have a wee conceit that we can play a bit, but when you come up against someone from any sort of level, it's frightening.

My PE teacher and football coach at school was Caledonian (et al) full back Derek Dewar. A run-of-the-mill to decent Highland League player. But Christ, he was made of absolute steel. Never a ball playing defender, but he used to rip the piss out of our (U18) team even in training.

The story of Gus Caesar as related by Nick Hornby is a vivid one, and I'd recommend it (and Fever Pitch as a whole) to anyone.

In my time at Denny High our PE teacher was Frank Coulson, League Cup winner with Partick and coach at Falkirk.

Competitive as hell in the PE matches and loved his football.

I vividly remember setting him up for a goal and his delighted shout of ‘what a ball son!’ as he blootered it between the sticks.

Easily the highlight of my footballing efforts!

Edited by Reggie Perrin

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

A good mate of mine, who sadly passed away a couple of years back, was head and shoulders above me and most of my mates when it came to fives. He played for Glasgow Uni back in the day and if he wanted to he could beat us all several times and then score all manner of goals. Thankfully he treated our games as the laugh they were intended to be and didn't embarrass us, as he could have easily. He was a great guy, sadly missed.

Anyway, a good few years ago he was asked to fill in at a game of fives in which none other than Pedro Moutinho happened to be playing. He told us that playing against Pedro was the most futile thing he'd ever done. Pedro could keep the ball, do whatever he wanted with it, score any kind of goal, you name it. No-one could get the ball off him.

This was a guy who was head and shoulders above me and all the rest of my mates who was playing against an ex-pro who was an order of magnitude better than him. And Pedro wasn't even anywhere near an elite level ex-pro.

A different world.

I remember our high school had a sports day and a few Falkirk players attended. One of them was David Hagen, it was bloody scary how fast and skilful he was, couldn’t even get near him never mind attempt a tackle! 

2 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I remember our high school had a sports day and a few Falkirk players attended. One of them was David Hagen, it was bloody scary how fast and skilful he was, couldn’t even get near him never mind attempt a tackle! 

Mine was as a 31 year old playing against a 43 year old Bobby Lennox in a charity game. Outrageous. Never laid a glove on him in a 20 minutes each way game. It was as if time stopped around him, and he could do what he wanted, and no-one could stop him.

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Now that is potentially very bold.

Disagree. We'll be 3 points ahead of Queens Park by then after securing 3 straight wins for the first time in ages, the mood will be bouyant as the 3 year Rennie contract gets slapped on the table, photo opps all round, everyone bussed up to the Wellington with Kenny Miller on the karaoke singing Amarillo. Coyb 

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Disagree. We'll be 3 points ahead of Queens Park by then after securing 3 straight wins for the first time in ages, the mood will be bouyant as the 3 year Rennie contract gets slapped on the table, photo opps all round, everyone bussed up to the Wellington with Kenny Miller on the karaoke singing Amarillo. Coyb 

How stupid of me. I hadn’t been paying attention, and didn’t know that is how it ends. Apologies.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Disagree. We'll be 3 points ahead of Queens Park by then after securing 3 straight wins for the first time in ages, the mood will be bouyant as the 3 year Rennie contract gets slapped on the table, photo opps all round, everyone bussed up to the Tolbooth Tavern with Kenny Miller on the karaoke singing Amarillo. Coyb 

Fixed to add Falkirks premier karaoke venue.