The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

At the FSS meeting, Nigel said there were no plans to look at anything other than full time for next season. I know he was looking to the other Board members for assurance on that, but there were no dissenting voices.

Personally, I wouldn’t be against two or three quality part timers given that some of the best players in L1 are part time. I guess Arbroath are not proof that all part timers can compete with full timers at Championship level, but it shows that if recruitment looks at the right traits, something good can be created from it.

Would anyone fancy our team versus Arbroath on Saturday? I think that is one part time team that right now could rag doll us until they lost us.

If we need anything right now from our coaching structure, it’s the right kind of recruitment. That is what will make the difference, not 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 or 3-4-2-1.

Full time or part time it matters not a jot. They just have to be players of the right quality 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Deans mob put in a pittance compared to the Rawlins and the patrons though. They had zero investment in the club when they got on the board and it was only when the share deal was done that they actually put any cash in.  They were there for a good while spending other people's cash badly before then.

I just meant individually. Deans bought £15,000 worth of shares and Colborn bought £30,000.

Just relating it to the constant proclamations about people putting their own money in as though it removes them from criticism of how the club is being run. 

43 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I just meant individually. Deans bought £15,000 worth of shares and Colborn bought £30,000.

Just relating it to the constant proclamations about people putting their own money in as though it removes them from criticism of how the club is being run. 

Doesn't mean you can't criticise but i'd say at least if you have your own money at stake you're more likely to ensure your making the right decisions. 

Guest TedCrilly
5 hours ago, Gaz said:

There is some quite staggering revisionism going on in the past couple of pages.

Martin Rennie somehow saving us from relegation with a poorer PPG than Sheerin is the biggest whopper yet. He’s had over half a season to close the gap on QP who have been absolutely abysmal. Rennie finishing 5th is most definitely a failure, not a success.

If, as BPM suggests, Rennie’s recruitment has been better than the summer; would that then suggest he is a poorer coach than Sheerin as his results have been similar with a stronger squad of players? 

Edited by TedCrilly

Ultimately there'll be very little attention on any board as long as the team are performing on the park.  

It's obvious but we simply have to start winning against more than just EF, Clyde, Alloa and Dumbarton starting with Peterhead on Saturday. Not just to keep us in the promotion 'race' but to have any chance of increasing FSS membership and selling season tickets come the summer.   

1 hour ago, TedCrilly said:

Martin Rennie somehow saving us from relegation with a poorer PPG than Sheerin is the biggest whopper yet. He’s had over half a season to close the gap on QP who have been absolutely abysmal. 

If, as BPM suggests, Rennie’s recruitment has been better than the summer; would that then suggest he is a poorer coach than Sheerin as his results have been similar with a stronger squad of players? 

It is my opinion we would be fighting the bottom two to stay up had Sheerin’s stayed in the job. I am aloud that opinion, you may not agree but it is my belief of what would have happened. He had completely lost it after that QP game. 

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is my opinion we would be fighting the bottom two to stay up had Sheerin’s stayed in the job. I am aloud that opinion, you may not agree but it is my belief of what would have happened. He had completely lost it after that QP game. 

I dont think anyone is disputing that Sheerin had to go, it's more whether Rennie is the man to take us forward and naturally Rennie will be compared to Sheerin to gauge whether there has been any improvement.

50 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Ultimately there'll be very little attention on any board as long as the team are performing on the park.  

It's obvious but we simply have to start winning against more than just EF, Clyde, Alloa and Dumbarton starting with Peterhead on Saturday. Not just to keep us in the promotion 'race' but to have any chance of increasing FSS membership and selling season tickets come the summer.   

Had a look at the run in and if we could just give a Fck there’s no question we could get the play off spot. Beat Phead and if Clyde pull a fast at Firhill it’s game on. Fck I can dream……….

I'd like to have seen what Rennie could do with the majority of players being his and with a full pre-season.

The problem with that is that, if he isn't the guy to turn us around, we've wasted yet another season, so maybe we should be looking to change it now?

The problem with that is that, just maybe, he is the guy who would turn us around and we've blown the chance to give him the opportunity to do it.

25 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Anyone who seriously thinks we can get out of this league this season should watch the Dunfermline game tonight. We are light years behind them.

Agreed, although if Dunfermline keep performing like this it'll be Ayr or Hamilton in the play off spot.

15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'd like to have seen what Rennie could do with the majority of players being his and with a full pre-season.

The problem with that is that, if he isn't the guy to turn us around, we've wasted yet another season, so maybe we should be looking to change it now?

The problem with that is that, just maybe, he is the guy who would turn us around and we've blown the chance to give him the opportunity to do it.

From what you've seen so far since his first full game in charge against clyde, can you see him being the man to turn us into title winners?

40 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Anyone who seriously thinks we can get out of this league this season should watch the Dunfermline game tonight. We are light years behind them.

Exactly and that’s a poor Dunfermline team. I don’t think they’ll finish in the bottom two though. They look to have a bit fight about them.

Guest Caractacus Potts
40 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Having a look at who Yogi brought in January. 

Goalkeepers- Stolarczyk on loan from Leicester

Defence- Efe Ambrose, Coll Donaldson

Midfield- Lawless, Chalmers, Polworth

Strikers- Kamwa on loan from Leeds

Some very decent additions. 

3 minutes ago, champions said:

From what you've seen so far since his first full game in charge against clyde, can you see him being the man to turn us into title winners?

I think it's very hard to say. I do think that the players he's brought in are a wee bit better than what was there yet we don't seem to be performing any better, which is a concern. I think there's something about him though and it would be good to give him the chance to show what he could do with a proper pre-season under his belt. Can we afford to give him that time though? Very difficult to tell.

What we do know however is that we've now had 7 people in charge in 5 years and haven't managed to get it right so maybe giving the guy the chance next season would be the right thing to do? I don't know.  

22 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Exactly and that’s a poor Dunfermline team. I don’t think they’ll finish in the bottom two though. They look to have a bit fight about them.

Partick thistle looked utterly stinking thats two heavy defeats in a row  against clubs fighting it out near the bottom. 

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Having a look at who Yogi brought in January. 

Goalkeepers- Stolarczyk on loan from Leicester

Defence- Efe Ambrose, Coll Donaldson

Midfield- Lawless, Chalmers, Polworth

Strikers- Kamwa on loan from Leeds

Some very decent additions. 

Sorted out the spine of the side which is exactly what we needed to do. Ambrose was solid at the back and the midfield won its battles comfortably. 

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Partick thistle looked utterly stinking thats two heavy defeats in a row  against clubs fighting it out near the bottom. 

Sorted out the spine of the side which is exactly what we needed to do. Ambrose was solid at the back and the midfield won its battles comfortably. 

Yogi signed a shed load of keepers for us and apart from Dani Mallo i cannot think of a stand out one.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Yogi signed a shed load of keepers for us and apart from Dani Mallo i cannot think of a stand out one.

Mark Howard done a good job. Glennon was decent enough and Schmeichel and Krul were top class as was Mallo. Even Lambers done a good job.

Only poor ones were Higgins who was diabolical and Bobby.