The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I can certainly see that being the case at cove but it's a bit of a concern if that's the case at other sides in this league . Or is he talking about the young lads promoted from the development squad?

Don't know. It's fair to say though that there's a lot of money sloshing about in the lower leagues at the moment. Cove, QP, Kelty, Montrose for example all seem to be very well off at the moment although I have heard that these funds may be about to dry up in some cases. I even heard that there's a Stirling Albion player getting £400 per week!

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, a hybrid model would make sense.  There's clearly better PT players in League One than the FT players you have.  Why not offer them 50-100 a week more to sign PT for you,  and they can keep their well paid day job.

To counter this however, the problem with having a hybrid squad is that the PT players can only train at night.  Probably why hardly any clubs do it.

………but MR basically said that is no longer the case, and that was his key underpinning as to why PT players are as fit as our FT players……..they may well train once or twice a week with the FT players, but they each have individual programmes to complete for the days that they train elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

………but MR basically said that is no longer the case, and that was his key underpinning as to why PT players are as fit as our FT players……..they may well train once or twice a week with the FT players, but they each have individual programmes to complete for the days that they train elsewhere.

Aye, I think the days of PT players running round a public park a couple of nights a week are over.

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Don't know. It's fair to say though that there's a lot of money sloshing about in the lower leagues at the moment. Cove, QP, Kelty, Montrose for example all seem to be very well off at the moment although I have heard that these funds may be about to dry up in some cases. I even heard that there's a Stirling Albion player getting £400 per week!

Akeel Francis maybe?🙈🤣

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

How often do we actually train?  You'd think we'd at least benefit from the increased time that our players are together. More time to run through drills practice set pieces etc but that doesn't seem to be the case given what's on show on a Saturday. I'm beginning to wonder what we actually get for our full time status that we couldn't do with a part time squad.🤔

Aye, for a team to work surely all players would need to train together.  I'm not talking about fitness stuff here, I mean actual training sessions; ball work, game scenarios, set pieces etc.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, for a team to work surely all players would need to train together.  I'm not talking about fitness stuff here, I mean actual training sessions; ball work, game scenarios, set pieces etc.

I'm not sure how the likes of Raith and Airdrie managed to make it work when they've had the hybrid model in recent years. You'd presume that the part timers would just train less days but that training would still be during the day. You would obviously need a job that allows that.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm not sure how the likes of Raith and Airdrie managed to make it work when they've had the hybrid model in recent years. You'd presume that the part timers would just train less days but that training would still be during the day. You would obviously need a job that allows that.

Perhaps you could point to RR and Airdrie spinning around for years and years in L1 could be used as the excuse to say that it doesn’t work (and their joint failures of not getting out of L1 was because of this, and had nothing whatsoever to do with poor management, coaching or recruitment).

I would assume a part-time approach is similar to an international setup where the focus is on shape, set-plays and drills rather than fitness due to limited time with those players.

As "professionals" being, and remaining, physically fit outside training is the #1 criteria unless you choose not to. 

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Perhaps you could point to RR and Airdrie spinning around for years and years in L1 could be used as the excuse to say that it doesn’t work (and their joint failures of not getting out of L1 was because of this, and had nothing whatsoever to do with poor management, coaching or recruitment).

I don't necessarily think that was Raiths case - They finished 2nd, 3rd and 1st in the years they were down so at least were competitive. Something we haven't been for 2 seasons.

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think Raith only turned to it the season they went up mind you. Maybe the season before but that would be it.

26 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

How often do we actually train?  You'd think we'd at least benefit from the increased time that our players are together. More time to run through drills practice set pieces etc but that doesn't seem to be the case given what's on show on a Saturday. I'm beginning to wonder what we actually get for our full time status that we couldn't do with a part time squad.🤔

Said for a number of seasons we’ve had more than one player blowing out their ass after sixty minutes, and PT teams often looking fitter towards the last fifteen.

I think the PT/Hybrid model could work in today’s environment. Many people are working hybrid hours, office/home/short/long/early/late etc. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Aye, a hybrid model would make sense.  There's clearly better PT players in League One than the FT players you have.  Why not offer them 50-100 a week more to sign PT for you,  and they can keep their well paid day job.

To counter this however, the problem with having a hybrid squad is that the PT players can only train at night.  Probably why hardly any clubs do it.

We do it and we are miles ahead of Falkirk this season. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I find it quite incredible how it’s a sustainable model at that level especially combined with the shutdown related to the pandemic. 

We're fortunate to have had 2500 season ticket holders the vast majority of whom have never asked for any money back.

No-one on the Board now is a fool, and frankly, I would be astonished if they hadn’t at least evaluated the pros and cons of a hybrid model. When you think about it, it would probably be the case that the better players would be the part time ones with the full time ones as the make weights rather than the other way around.

There might be some character tells in part time players too (the successful ones), in that they are probably more driven and focussed as individuals.
The full timers have something of a head start, but that seems to evaporate given the evidence we are seeing from a good few part time players in this league.

If you think of the good ones, then for us, Crawford Baptie certainly wasn’t a make weight despite being part time. Of his era, he was easily one of our outstanding players.

For instance, if Allan Fraser stepped forward with the name of a 24 year old surveyor earning good money, and was a cracking player, it would be seriously disappointing if FFC said “nah, unless he is prepared to quit his job, we aren’t interested”.

Edited by Duncan Freemason