The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I'd guess that any of our managers back until Eddie May (not Sheerin) would've focused on getting a shape and formation, Rennie focused on one when it only worked against a very poor Dumbarton. 

Nesbitt hasn't kicked a ball in 2022, God knows how he started on Saturday. We have a better 11 out there than what Rennie is putting out, yep shit bench but the 11 out there should be enough to produce better performances than what we are getting.

When he made Ruth our Drogba the downfall started.

He signed Ruth after the QP game I think, and he started at Alloa after Morrison got crocked.

Everything fell to bits from that point, I agree.

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Eh? That's exactly what he is. He literally has a contract until the end of the season. If he was brought in to enact a long-term plan he should have been given a long-term contract, not a six-month one, and it should have been made crystal clear to the supporters at the time of his appointment that that was the job he had been brought in to do. You bring in a manager mid-season on a short-term contract to try to engineer, in a short space of time, an improvement in results, performance and league position and unfortunately Rennie has completely failed in that regard. In fact, he has made us worse. So we'll now just shift the goalposts. Absolutely nothing ever changes at this club. 

If you were there tonight you would have seen why it seems like this is the case 

Tbh the whole thing sounds like the same nonsense Holt was coming out with last year about how much of an impossible task it was to get a playoff spot when we were 2nd when he took over.

I don’t buy this line from Rennie and the bod that looking for us to have a team capable of competing for 4th place in league 1 is like expecting us to challenge for the premiership title when we’ve brought in 7 new players (including 1 on a wage Peter Houston would have dreamed of).

Edited by PedroMoutinho

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Sounds just like the same excuses we’ve heard again and again for the last 5 years tbh. Manager admits current squad isn’t good enough, promises of improvement in the summer. We’re still waiting.

Why on earth was Griffiths signed on a fortune when even the manger admits the rest of the squad is rubbish?

Rennie didn't promise that there would be improvements although he would obviously hope that that is the case.

Two or three times he mentioned that he had inherited a squad that wasn't going to cut it and I admit that I did get the impression that he was making excuses a bit. He said that there wasn't enough of a mix of different players in the squad, too many of the same type and both he and Nigel Serafini stated that they had tried really hard to get different players in over the window but that the January window is a very difficult one to negotiate. They did say that they were very close to signing a player that would have been a leader on the park (he's aware that we don't really have one) and that they had been working on the deal before the window opened but, with the guy ready to come, his club pulled the deal on the last day. My guess is Liam Craig for that one.

Serafini stated that they hope to remain full-time next season but that would depend on finances.

It sounds to me like Rennie will be here for the long haul and certainly next season. I hope that the remaining games can give me a glimmer of hope that that will be a good thing!

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Tbh the whole thing sounds like the same nonsense Holt was coming out with last year about how much of an impossible task it was to get a playoff spot when we were 2nd when he took over.

I don’t buy this line from Rennie and the bod that looking for us to have a team capable of competing for 4th place in league 1 is like expecting us to challenge for the premiership title.

That last sentence is a nonsense and a typical example of the anti BoD bile you have been spewing since the old regime got emptied.

Just what is your agenda?

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don’t buy this line from Rennie and the bod that looking for us to have a team capable of competing for 4th place in league 1 is like expecting us to challenge for the premiership title when we’ve brought in 7 new players (including 1 on a wage Peter Houston would have dreamed of).

When did he say that? He did however say the total opposite.

16 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

It’s all well and good Rennie saying that but he still signed 6 players, including one on a massive wage, and in many measures we are even less competitive than we were under Cones. What’s his reason for putting out a side that can’t even do the basics like fucking compete?

He spent quite a bit of time tonight (partly in response to a question from yours truly) addressing that very point.

He has a dressing room full of five a side players whose confidence is absolutely shot.

Whenever we go a goal down, which is most games, the heads go down and the lack of leadership on the park becomes obvious.

To repeat my earlier post he knows that we don’t have the battlers that we need in our position and the January window was a case of nearly but not quite when it came to getting the guys he wanted.

11 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

That last sentence is a nonsense and a typical example of the anti BoD bile you have been spewing since the old regime got emptied.

Just what is your agenda?

Why are the new board somehow above criticism? Just because they aren’t Deans & co and people’s mates are on it doesn’t mean people need to just clap their hands and keep quiet.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

I’m a FSS member but wasn’t there tonight but really couldn’t give a f**k what Rennies got to say. He can blame the previous board, the glorified youth coach or that wankpiece Holt all he wants but it’s not their fault that we’ve got worse since he took over. It wasn’t them that decided to piss money up against the wall bringing in Griffiths rather than other areas of the squad that needed more urgent reinforcements. He might have not signed half the squad but he’s the one that keeps on giving the likes of Brad fucking McKay game time.

He’s a massive loser and an absolute diddy. There’s absolutely no justifiable reason for keeping him on next season. None at all.

I think at best we have stagnated under Rennie and at worst gone backwards despite half a dozen new players brought in during the January window.

the worst signs for me is that even bringing in some of his own players this team doesn't seem to want to bust a gut for him, we've seen it week after week. Good managers get the best out of people. I think our squad, despite some poor players in amongst them are underperforming.  another sign is that he has us very poorly organised and drilled. the press is terrible as is the playing out from the back. 

based on what I've seen so far it would be a massive mistake to have him in charge at the start of next season. I certainly wouldn't be encouraged to watch his brand of football...I'm not even sure what it is.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Why are the new board somehow above criticism? Just because they aren’t Deans & co and people’s mates are on it doesn’t mean people need to just clap their hands and keep quiet.

They are not above criticism but don’t make shite up!

Just howling at the idea that 6 new players plus Dowds couldn’t possibly have made us a competitive team in this division. 

If the new board swallow that up from Rennie we’re in for an absolute shiter of a 2022/23 season 

It's the coaches job to lift their confidence and to bring in players in the areas we need them most.  

It sounds as though we spent most of January chasing a legs gone Liam Craig (who would still have been a better option than Gary Miller but wasn't going to change our season on his own) and David Goodwillie.  

Leigh Griffiths was a panic signing that was badly misjudged  "who would have imagined Leigh Griffiths joining!" I think since he joined more fans have stopped going than clamoured to see the superstar strut his stuff. 

ATS, Jacobs, Watson, Mills have barely improved the team at all.  Mutch and Dowds coming back have had more of an impact than any of them.  

Yes, not a great position to be in taking over with that squad but our decision making is again on the wrong things at the wrong time.  Its so frustrating to watch.  

Look at the contracts that are up in the summer, and the players who are contracted and eating up more than half the playing budget before a ball is kicked. Anyone……be it MR or someone else that can make a silk purse out of that sow’s ear next season is a miracle worker.

We are where we are for another two seasons at least.

11 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Just howling at the idea that 6 new players plus Dowds couldn’t possibly have made us a competitive team in this division. 

If the new board swallow that up from Rennie we’re in for an absolute shiter of a 2022/23 season 

Only if the 6 players are of the right calibre and type required. I’d argue that with the possible exception of Watson, none have turned out to be what we required. 

Maybe I don’t care as much anymore but I’m not bothered if Rennie stays or goes next season. I don’t see who we will appoint that will get a tune out of the players we’re stuck with and get a perfect record with the rest of the signings. 

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Only if the 6 players are of the right calibre and type required. I’d argue that with the possible exception of Watson, none have turned out to be what we required. 

Maybe I don’t care as much anymore but I’m not bothered if Rennie stays or goes next season. I don’t see who we will appoint that will get a tune out of the players we’re stuck with and get a perfect record with the rest of the signings. 

Probably clutching at straws, but I’m now starting to think appointing an actual football manager would at least make us look like a football team again. 

Names that used to be make me shudder (McIntyre, Johnstone etc) now don’t.

Its the lack of competitiveness against any team higher in the league that does it for me