The Falkirk FC Thread

We should just start buying English premier league players and spend well above our means and win the championship then SPL. f**k the money mate that's not our problem

Now your being a total eejit.

No-one is saying that, simply saying Let's get into the ball park between competing and getting the balance right. We are becoming arrogant here, what happens if we are not as good as we think and end up in a relegation dogfight, it's not beyond us the way things are shaping up. We are only a few injuries away from a crisis potentially. 2500 ST's is a fair bit of dosh to the club, do we not have some commitment to the people who have bought into the marketing drivel?

What happens, if the league is expanded next season and we don't get to the top 4? Where will we be then? I personally think expansion is likely.

We are on the verge of the season starting. There will be no changes this season. And if there is, they will still relegate someone. Sporting integrity is still in the vocabulary. So if the league is presumably extended to 16 the top 5 would need to be promoted.

And in that time QOS have been mainly in leagues below us which is my point.

All your argument does is prove what a sterling job Queens have recently been doing. It does not prove that we have been doing any worse than we have in the last oh, say 60 years. 50 years? 15 years? What arbitrary timescale are you using? There has been some fairly turgid seasons in whichever you choose, top flight included.

I've been going since 1985 and in that time we have been mostly a top 4 of the 2nd tier kind of side. So we came 5th? Greater things to worry about. Are you getting on a bit? Do you feel like your days of seeing us in the top flight are slipping by? The one thing that always surprises me about our side is their ability to take me by surprise. 3 cup finals in this time prove this. I'd rather we take our present course of action rather than risk our future. Ask Dunfermline fans if balancing the books is a good idea.

2500 ST's is a fair bit of dosh to the club, do we not have some commitment to the people who have bought into the marketing drivel?

Over 2700 with daily business ongoing when I picked up my ticket this week. I think it will be close to 2800 but won't exceed it.

But I don't believe we should be risking spunking this approx £600K on securing 2nd or 3rd. We don't need to spend it all to secure the playoffs.

Now your being a total eejit.

No-one is saying that, simply saying Let's get into the ball park between competing and getting the balance right. We are becoming arrogant here, what happens if we are not as good as we think and end up in a relegation dogfight, it's not beyond us the way things are shaping up. We are only a few injuries away from a crisis potentially. 2500 ST's is a fair bit of dosh to the club, do we not have some commitment to the people who have bought into the marketing drivel?

We'll not be in a relegation dogfight... We'll finish either 3rd to 5th.

Do folk really think we Should matching Premiership wages for players like Clarkson or Keatings?

The way I see it most players if offered £1k a week at both Premiership and Championship will opt for the top level club 9/10 times. The only ways to attract a higher quality of player is to pay over odds (Hibs, Hearts, Rangers and us last year with MacDonald) or wait until these players have to no other options than to sign. The latter worked for us after Loy couldn't get a deal at St Johnstone and we were the back-up.

Ok that's your view but what happens if you're wrong...I did mention arrogance!

We're good enough to finish in the top 4. Just need another couple players. We won't get relegated or be near it. Unless Houston starts playing bowman upfront and tam grant in goal. Although we're not a fully complete squad, this isn't a crisis. Squad wise we're 90% ready for the season. We've got depth everywhere. Injuries shouldn't be a problem.

We're good enough to finish in the top 4. Just need another couple players. We won't get relegated or be near it. Unless Houston starts playing bowman upfront and tam grant in goal. Although we're not a fully complete squad, this isn't a crisis. Squad wise we're 90% ready for the season. We've got depth everywhere. Injuries shouldn't be a problem.

Now there's an idea...

I don't think many on here really dislike him, we all want to see him do well. He just seems to make poor decisions and takes too long to react.

One thing that had struck me us there aren't too many clubs sniffing about him queuing up for his services. Except the BBC lol, maybe that is telling us something!

Do you have any examples........???

Feck knows what you are on about with the second point too.......

Do you have any examples........???

Feck knows what you are on about with the second point too.......

These are just some off the top of my head

Wrong decisions ...

Rory Boulding

OTJ

Taylor Morgan

Going for broke in the cup final with a team in the ropes with a potential extra 30 mins to play

Failing to re sign Mark Millar when released from DU

Not quick enough...

No replacement for Loy

Waited too long on Brian Graham, lost out on other targets

Poor recruitment this close season with little time for a team to gel

Point 2...

How many other teams have shown a interest in prising Houston away from Falkirk? He was Scotland No 2 after

all

Maybe you can give me some examples of what you think he got right?

These are just some off the top of my head

Wrong decisions ...

Rory Boulding

OTJ

Taylor Morgan

Going for broke in the cup final with a team in the ropes with a potential extra 30 mins to play

Failing to re sign Mark Millar when released from DU

Not quick enough...

No replacement for Loy

Waited too long on Brian Graham, lost out on other targets

Poor recruitment this close season with little time for a team to gel

Point 2...

How many other teams have shown a interest in prising Houston away from Falkirk? He was Scotland No 2 after

all

Maybe you can give me some examples of what you think he got right?

Right let's go through them shall we.

The emergence of Luke Leahy as a left back. Although he started playing back there under Holt, it's only once Houston took over he shown what a good player he can be.

You say he can't spot a good striker yet he signed a player in January who almost got a goal every 2 games in Baird.

The signing of Tom Taiwo.

Moving Vaulks from centre half into centre midfield where he has flourished and where he looks like he will captain us this season.

Numerous victories over Hibs and a fantastic victory away to runaway leaders Hearts on their own turf, 2 sides that are much bigger than us believe it or not BeJizz.

Getting to a national cup final regardless of the draw is still a fantastic achievement for a lower league club. Not quite sure that he went for broke, we were all over them and there was only going to be one winner once the equaliser went in.

Kerr did a job for us last year, meaning we didn't really need Mark Miller. Not sure whether Kerr can maintain the standards of last year.

Muirhead looks like a good signing so far.

At the moment Loys replacement is McHugh and only time will tell whether it will be a success or not.

Just because other teams wouldn't want to have him as manager doesn't mean he is doing a bad job. Queens did excellent last year, how many teams are wanting James Fowler as their manager?

Think you need another hobby BeJizz cause following Falkirk seems to be too much for you.

Houstie isn't siting around with his finger up his arse. You're mad if you think this is the case.

From what I've been told we offered contracts to 3nr forwards, all of which would have been marquee signings but for whatever reason went elsewhere. (no "source" comments please)

He can't force people to sign, we just have to trust him and see what the next few weeks bring.

Bring on the new season. COYB

Agreed - Lyle Taylor was one but we cant compete with the wages on offer in the English league 2.

Been pissed with the lack of a real quality signing but its not been for the lack of trying.

To be fair we have a decent settled squad with not many leaving from last season - think a lot depends on Scott Allan staying at Hibs or can see them coming in for 1 or 2 of ours with not much time for us to replace them.

Taiwo had an awful start with us, due to an injury and basically settling into the team. In the second half of the season he was very good. He will be like a new signing this season as long as he is played in the middle instead of Kerr.

David Smith will also be like a new player as he is now.over his injury problems, has a full preseason behind him and will have the belief he can make a difference this season.

Cooper I fear is a lost cause and should be given the opportunity to go out on loan.

Right let's go through them shall we.

The emergence of Luke Leahy as a left back. Although he started playing back there under Holt, it's only once Houston took over he shown what a good player he can be.

You say he can't spot a good striker yet he signed a player in January who almost got a goal every 2 games in Baird.

The signing of Tom Taiwo.

Moving Vaulks from centre half into centre midfield where he has flourished and where he looks like he will captain us this season.

Numerous victories over Hibs and a fantastic victory away to runaway leaders Hearts on their own turf, 2 sides that are much bigger than us believe it or not BeJizz.

Getting to a national cup final regardless of the draw is still a fantastic achievement for a lower league club. Not quite sure that he went for broke, we were all over them and there was only going to be one winner once the equaliser went in.

Kerr did a job for us last year, meaning we didn't really need Mark Miller. Not sure whether Kerr can maintain the standards of last year.

Muirhead looks like a good signing so far.

At the moment Loys replacement is McHugh and only time will tell whether it will be a success or not.

Just because other teams wouldn't want to have him as manager doesn't mean he is doing a bad job. Queens did excellent last year, how many teams are wanting James Fowler as their manager?

Think you need another hobby BeJizz cause following Falkirk seems to be too much for you.

Baird absolutely fell into Houstons lap. No matter how good he turns out to be for Falkirk, I dont think you can put him up as a Houston "success"

Fowler has been a manager for less than a year. Hardly a fair comparison

You need to wait until Rangers have fucked out of the division then go for it. You're far more likely to challenge an Alan Stubbs-led Hibs than a Rangers who look very tasty this season.